Running shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Get a fitting somewhere. Whether you are a pronator or supinator plays a huge role in what shoes to get. Pronators need arch support, while supinators need lots of extra cushion (this is me). A shoe that works great for me will probably be murder on the feet of a pronator.
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go to a store and have them do a gait analysis and get fitted for a shoe. I am on my second pair now (Newbie Runner) It makes all the difference. I learned the hard way by buying cheaper shoes and ended up with a black toenail(Which a year later is still funny looking) at first. Now I will never buy a cheap pair of shoes. It was worth the extra money for me. I have paid around $90 for each pair. I found they clearance off last years models around February that is when I bought them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand.

Why????

Because generally they are more focussed on trying to look pretty or using gimmicks such as ultra light material which isnt really much lighter than other materials just to up the price; this rather than accommodating the practicality of running - running style, support, cushioning, etc.

Generally? The one's the OP is looking at, yes, I agree. These are cheap shoes made for big box stores. Their better models are not bad and I know many runners who run in them (including me most of the time - just finished Broad Street Run in my Nike Vomeros). FWIW, I also have Saucony and Brooks in my closet. I'm not about brand name bashing so I'll keep my opinion of one of those to myself. YMMV.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand.

Why????

Because generally they are more focussed on trying to look pretty or using gimmicks such as ultra light material which isnt really much lighter than other materials just to up the price; this rather than accommodating the practicality of running - running style, support, cushioning, etc.

Generally? The one's the OP is looking at, yes, I agree. These are cheap shoes made for big box stores. Their better models are not bad and I know many runners who run in them (including me most of the time - just finished Broad Street Run in my Nike Vomeros). FWIW, I also have Saucony and Brooks in my closet. I'm not about brand name bashing so I'll keep my opinion of one of those to myself. YMMV.

None of the runners who I run with have Nike shoes. A lot of runners I know have the same opinion as me. If you want to keep your opinions to yourself, then feel free to do so. I can bash Nike if I wish to.
  • andrwclem
    andrwclem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Deffo buy a pair that is one size bigger than your shoe size
    this is from experience as I suffered from shin splints for having
    no room for my foot to move when running
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand. The brand isnt important really amongst those who appear to do the best - Asics, Mizuno, Brooks, Adidas, amongst others...

An exception is the Nike Free Run Distance. If, and only if you like a zero-drop, neutral shoe with moderate cushion, it's a pretty good buy. Besides, there isn't a whole lot of selection of this type of shoe. Size an extra 1/2 size up, though. It runs shorter than most.

In case anyone reading this actually wants to try this shoe, and to clear any confusion. When I say size up an extra 1/2 size, that's on top of the normal sizing up you should do for most running shoes.