Sooooo frustrated! Help!

Options
lisaishere
lisaishere Posts: 24 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Been watching and counting calories for 12 weeks now, and exercising regularly. My weight is stuck now for a MONTH. I've only lost about 4 pounds total. Not sure what I am doing wrong!

SW 157 (Febrary 21)
CW: 153 (May 4)
GW: 125 .... feeling like I will NEVER EVER get there at this rate, or I will be old, dead and buried by the time I am!

The scale not budging is so depressing, and is completely de-motivating. I am only 5' 2", so 153 on my height is FAT. No one has noticed that I have lost weight or said "you look good" - and 4 lbs. is barely a dent. So all my calorie counting and exercise is doing nothing.

My metabolism must be dead, and not sure how to go on with NO RESULTS or rewards for my efforts.

I have always been a relatively healthy eater, so for me the main change has been reducing quantity and portion sizes to keep my calories in range. If I go down any more in quantity, I will have to go below the 1200 a day range, as that is what my net target calories is.

I just ate a banana for a snack because i was hungry and I feel guilty because it's 89 calories. I have mothers day brunch with my family on Sunday, and don't even want to go because I am afraid of overeating.

Not sure what to do from here. So frustrated. :-(

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    What calorie limit are you trying to sustain? Sometimes weight loss can stall if you're not eating enough (sounds weird, I know!).
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also, and I find losing hard. I'm only down 3-4 pounds too, but I think I know why. The MFP program could not create a calculation for me to lose weight unless I worked out twice a week. I try to make that happen, but sometimes I fall short. That makes my weight loss stagnant. I don't know how many calories you eat or burn in a day, but I pretty much have to eliminate carbs to get the scale to move. I hate it, but it has always been hard for me to lose much. Losing the extra weight on diet alone doesn't work for me. Working out is difficult because I have knee issues. I just have to do the best I can and if I see any loss at all, I feel like it's progress. You are right, though. I will probably be dead before I reach my goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • lisaishere
    Options
    I actually DO weigh my food and measure it when possible. At work in the office - if I grab a banana from the deli I do not. But that's a good point. Maybe I will skip fruits and get pre-measured things like a simply 100.
  • Krissi1330
    Krissi1330 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can you give some more details about your exercise regimen and typical meals?
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    lisaishere wrote: »
    I actually DO weigh my food and measure it when possible. At work in the office - if I grab a banana from the deli I do not. But that's a good point. Maybe I will skip fruits and get pre-measured things like a simply 100.

Can you keep a scale or bring your scale to the office? That's what I do so I know exactly how much my fruit is. Fruit is healthy and has fiber so it will keep you full. I wouldn't skip it just because you can't weigh it.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale. How do your clothes feel? How do YOU feel? Do you notice any difference? Sometimes while our body adjusts, the scale doesn't move but clothes become looser and we have more energy. Also, if you're measuring by the BMI... for 5'2 and 153 lbs, your BMI is roughly at 28g. 'Normal' begins at 24.9g, so 3.1g is SO CLOSE.

Don't get discouraged by a piece of machinery. Push forward for your health, not for a number.
  • lisaishere
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Krissi1330 wrote: »
    Can you give some more details about your exercise regimen and typical meals?

Here's a typical day:

Breakfast: Kale & 1 egg plus 2 Egg-whites omelette, with one slice of reduced fat swiss, plus coffee with skim milk. 250 caloires (I isually keep my breakfast to a eggs and veggies, sometimes 1/2 piece of toast if I am really hnugry - but usually in the 250 to 350 calorie range).

Lunch at work: Usually
    1) A salad from Chipotle: Grilled Chicken, peppers, Salsa, Lettuce, cheese (according to their website calculator, this is a 345 calorie lunch.
    or 2) LEftover protein and veggies from home. I measure this, to make sure it's under 400 calories).

My go to snacks - (I'm usually hungry around 3): Simply 100 yogurt, 100 calories cottage cheese cup, 2 laughing cow wedges, or a banana. My snacks usualyl total 200 to 300 calories.

Dinner: Depends, i have a sitter that makes dinner for my kids, and I don't get home until 7:30, but usualyl tureky taco salad, sometimes pasta and a vegetable, sometimes checken and a vegetable.

Not a dessert person, but I eat berries at night if I am hungry.

My calories at the end of the day are usually 1200 to 1500.

Exercise is: About 30 to 40 minutes of walking a day - just with my commute and dog walking.
    -1 day per week HOT yoga class.
    -3 to 4 days per week beach body videos at home (I have Insanity, Pi-yo and Fit 21). They usually burn between 200 and 400 calories according to my HR monitor.

• lisaishere
    Options
    greentart wrote: »
    Forget the scale. How do your clothes feel? How do YOU feel? Do you notice any difference? Sometimes while our body adjusts, the scale doesn't move but clothes become looser and we have more energy. Also, if you're measuring by the BMI... for 5'2 and 153 lbs, your BMI is roughly at 28g. 'Normal' begins at 24.9g, so 3.1g is SO CLOSE.

Don't get discouraged by a piece of machinery. Push forward for your health, not for a number.

My clothes do feel a little looser, and my BF says I definitely look more toned, I can even see it, but the number not budging on the scale is really bumming me out!
  • lisaishere
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Bronty3 wrote: »

Can you keep a scale or bring your scale to the office? That's what I do so I know exactly how much my fruit is. Fruit is healthy and has fiber so it will keep you full. I wouldn't skip it just because you can't weigh it.

That's a good idea.... so frustrating though, that on a hungry day, a banana could put me over the edge and prevent weight loss!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You may be losing inches, even if the scale doesn't budge! Also if you are exercising alot, it's possible to be gaining muscle but more likely that you are eating back too many of the calories you burned. Try cutting it in half, because MFP overestimates calories from exercise or don't log it. Stress can also cause weight gain, so try to relax! Maybe try a yoga class or meditation. Don't worry about Mother's day. It's one meal. Focus on one day at a time! I know for myself, at 5'3 I need to cut carbs in order to really lose weight or exercise alot. It's hard when you are short to lose weight sometimes...you're not alone. Try cutting out bread for the next few days and replace with proteins and healthy fats, fruits, vegetables. The Banana won't make you fat. In fact in Weight Watchers, when I did it many years ago, fruit was unlimited!! It's the unhealthy carbs and processed foods that get you! At least from my experience. Hope this helps.
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should cut out the fruit and cheese. Replace with broccoli and protein shake.
  • lisaishere
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making....

Thank you for the suggestions! Will try harder. Just need to see some scale results soon!!!
  • lisaishere
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Valrotha wrote: »
    1. Don't beat yourself up. You're a valuable human being who is making a serious effort to improve yourself. That's more than a lot of people can say.

2. I've seen people's weight loss stall from not taking in enough water. No guarantee that's what the problem is, but it's an easy thing to change to see if it helps.

That's interesting! I have never heard that, and that probably is one area I could definitely use some improvement.
  • lisaishere
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should cut out the fruit and cheese. Replace with broccoli and protein shake.

I could give that a try... cheese is my absolute favorite food... so I try to keep in a slice of low-fat cheese in my day, so that I don't feel totally deprived. Deprivation diets have always backfired on me in the past.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Or you could bring your premeasured food to work.
  • Krissi1330
    Krissi1330 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also, and I find losing hard. I'm only down 3-4 pounds too, but I think I know why. The MFP program could not create a calculation for me to lose weight unless I worked out twice a week. I try to make that happen, but sometimes I fall short. That makes my weight loss stagnant. I don't know how many calories you eat or burn in a day, but I pretty much have to eliminate carbs to get the scale to move. I hate it, but it has always been hard for me to lose much. Losing the extra weight on diet alone doesn't work for me.

I'll second this. I'm 5'2" and I have to mostly eliminate carbs to reach/maintain weight goals. I'm sure the CICO argument is valid, but honestly I can eat a ton of calories from high fat/high protein/low carb and still lose weight, yet gain too much on calorie restricted higher carb diets. That's along with exercise - weight lifting and running.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Do you think maybe a better solution might be to get a food scale for the office? Mine was $12 on Amazon.