Sadness.....

Options
Well ive been exercsing and eating under the 1800 cal limit for the past week and saturday i weighted 243.2 but when i weight today out of curiousity i gained 3 pounds.....ive urinated and had a bowel movement and ive still havent lose anything.....i havent cheated or skipped a day of exercise....what could have caused me to gain weight that fast!!!....please help, it would be really appreciated!!!

Replies

• farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    it could simply just be water weight... weigh yourself in the nude so you get an EXACT weight.. without the weight of your clothes, shoes etc.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    it could be anything really.. but most likely, from what you are saying, not fat or "real weight"... you could be retaining water or having extra stress or not sleeping enough... but don't fret over it :) ...[i need to take my own advice!!]... because I always remember "well, if i can gain a pound in a week, then I can lose a pound in a week.." lol and also remember that it takes an excess of 3500 calories to gain or lose one pound. Do you think you accidentally ate 10,500 calories over your goals this week? Probably not.. so it is probably just retaining water or something like that!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Simple reply, muscle growth. You are gaining muscle and it weighs more than fat. Keep going. It took a couple of weeks to see and reflect my improvements. Take measurements (neck, waist and hips) if you are looking for quick returns. Great job, keep it up!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    muscle weight weighs more then fat. If you are working out alot that is possible. Also, weight yourself more then once a week isn't ideal. What I heard from the experts is, weight once a week at the same time of day. And it is better to go by cloth size. But your weight can shift by as much as 5 lbs a day depending on what has been going on. I have weighted 3 lbs more, then reweighed myself and was back to normal later that day. Don't put too much stock into what you weigh every day, just look at the progress you make over weeks. Slow results are better in most cases because that gives your body time to adjust to a new way of living.
  • kariannk
    kariannk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i find waking up and weighing myself right away in the morning is best for me
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Have you been tracking your sodium. I know that is a problem for me. Also, if I don't drink enough water my weight goes up. Always weigh at the same time of day - mornings are best - and on the same scale. Mine even varies if I move the scale to another area of the same room.

It sounds like you are doing everything right - just remember to drink lots of water, watch your sodium and be consistent with your weigh-ins. You'll be fine.
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    I just did the very same thing last week!!! Gained three pounds. About made me throw in the towel.Friends on here reminded me to used a tape measure because if you are doing anything with weights and you are adding muscle it will weigh more than fat but you will see marked change in inches! also make sure you are getting all your water in,its amazing how much that makes a diffrence!!! I hope this helps....whatever it is just keep going because eating right and working out will never be a bad thing even if it doesnt always translate to the scale!!
    Blessings,
    Misty
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This is why you should only weigh once a week, and always at the same time of day. Our weight fluctuates up to 5 lbs from water, food we've eaten, even time of day. First thing in the morning right after you use the bathroom is the best time to weigh, before you have anything to eat or drink. That gives you a true weight. Just pick a day of the week and go with it.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Give it time. And drink lots and lots of water. I know it sounds funny but the more you keep hydrated the better it comes off.

Also if you aren't already be sure you accurately measure the food. Sometimes just eying it will cause it to be way off.
  • NerdHerd99
    Options
    I agree. Muscle Growth is what you are going through. If you do work out doing weight training you will gain some weight in actual muscle weight, but trust me this is a good thing. The more muscle you have the more fat it burns! Keep your head up and it will work itself out!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    google "why the scale lies"
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Check your measurements. Waist will probably have gone down along with hips, but biceps, calves, thighs and chest may have increased.

You tend to lose inches first, then pounds. Keep on going! I think it was four weeks before I started to see real losses.

All the best,

Christabeltoria
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Check your measurements. Waist will probably have gone down along with hips, but biceps, calves, thighs and chest may have increased.

You tend to lose inches first, then pounds. Keep on going! I think it was four weeks before I started to see real losses.

All the best,

Christabeltoria
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with what they said, could be that u have some retaining water weight or gained muscle or both! Just keep trugging ahead! tomorow is another day! maybe change your exercise around?
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound! Muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less space. If you are building muscle the muscles will hang on to water while they heal which can cause the 3 pound gain. Make sure you are drinking enough water to flush your system and try to not focus on the scale as much as how your clothes are fitting.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    google "why the scale lies"

Awesome...thanks for that tip : ) Very interesting
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I too take a 'sneaky peak' mid week to try and understand how my body maybe reacts to certain foods - this is on the complete condition with myself that I DO NOT count it; whether it shows a loss or a gain due to the amount that weight can fluctuate throughout the day. As per the advice from all the other fab people on here, the only thing that 'counts' is on a Saturday morning first thing..... I suggest though that if this fluctuation has really got you down and it is making you want to quit then stick to a single weigh in each week. Good luck!!! Vx
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've read your question on multiple posts (lots of others with the same issue) and some of the links that have been attached suggest that your body weight can shift to around 4 pounds in a single day. If you have truly done everything you are supposed to do than just keep going and don't worry about the scale for the moment. Your successes may show themselves by your measurements (neck, hips, waist, thights etc) so be sure to measure and check back in 30 days or so. You can also tell by physical progress --count how many sit ups/push-ups etc you can do today, in a week, in a month or how long/far you can run when just a week ago you could only walk. Every body will go through a period of adjustments and some weeks you'll have a big loss, some weeks no loss, some weeks you'll just know you are losing because you wake up and jeans fit and you have cheek bones again. Best of Luck!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I will go with water weight, but, as has been demonstrated on here many times, it's not possible to grow 3 pounds of muscle in a week. Maybe--emphasis on maybe--in a month, and that only with intense weight training.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. I was at 271 Sunday morning. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings Sunday night and had 12 boneless wings, teriyaki sauce. Weighed myself this morning, 276. I gained 5 POUNDS overnight. BTW, I was shocked when I logged my calories last night. I had no clue those wings were so full of sodium, fat, cholesterol and sugar. The amount of chicken is probably a large chicken breast, never dreamed the breading and sauce was that bad for you. I'll never do that again.