Gaining Weight on 1,000 Calories

Options
Hi! I am a 19 year old girl, 5 foot 1, and 95 pounds. I have currently been trying to get to 90 pounds as I am trying out for my college's dance team again this year and I need to be 90 pounds to be considered for a solo. I have been exercising regularly, burning an average of 1,750 calories and eating 1,000 calories, thus giving me a net of -750. I have still been slowly gaining weight and I am really wondering why.

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I wonder how you're figuring the amount of cals you're eating...are you using a food scale to weigh your portions so you know you're logging correctly? I'm 5'1 and can't imagine being 90 lbs, but if that's what you're shooting for you'll need to be really tight on your food logging
  • Lukeneedscardio
    Lukeneedscardio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining weight by building muscle. What kind of exercising are you doing?
  • TimothyWashington1
    TimothyWashington1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    INTERMITTENT FASTING
    Two days out of the week till dinner time. This helps regulate blood sugar and jump starts metabolism. remember to lower carbs to 30% of your intake. And cardio cardio cardio!!!
  • iamcallieu
    iamcallieu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i tend to gain when i don't eat enough, and at 19 years old and a dancer i'm pretty sure your body requires more than 1,000 cals. I think you might see better results by upping your intake to 1,200 cals a day. It certainly cant hurt to try
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    flacens wrote: »
    You could be gaining weight by building muscle. What kind of exercising are you doing?

Not on a negative calorie intake (which should not be happening anyway)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Do they actually weigh you? My college had a dance team with a weight requirement as well, but it was more, "you have to LOOK like you weigh 120 pounds." And I feel like at 95 pounds you could get away for being 90 pounds.
  • ramosjocelyn
    ramosjocelyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mrschikin wrote: »
    How do you know you need to be 90 lbs to be considered for a solo? If it's written down somewhere, that's a Title IX claim waiting to happen. If it's something that other girls in the team told you, understand that this so-called "requirement" may come from their own insecurities rather than actual fact.

In either case, please reconsider whether getting to dance a solo is worth damaging your health by becoming even more painfully thin. You're already underweight according to the BMI chart. If you decide it's worth it, do at least consider seeing a doctor before attempting to lose more weight.

I am actually not underweight just close to it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    As Gamliela says it is unlikely for you to be gaining weight if you are eating at such a huge deficit. I would think that you are either eating more than you think or your exercise calorie count is not as high as you think. Or a combination of both. Are you weighing and logging everything, If you are then open your diary so people can take a look and maybe advise you a bit more. Also let us know your exercise routine and I am sure that somebody will be able to help you there as well.

Please make sure you are eating enough and getting the right nutrition your body requires.

I also agree with others that in this day and age it is hard to believe that they dictate a precise size for you to qualify for a solo. If you are a good dancer then I can't see how 5 pounds here or there is going to even show let alone make any difference to your ability. Ridiculous in my opinion.

I wish you all the best with your dancing and hope you get to do that solo. :)
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are eating healthy. weight wise muscle weighs as much as fat the difference is that fat takes up more room.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    How do you know you need to be 90 lbs to be considered for a solo? If it's written down somewhere, that's a Title IX claim waiting to happen. If it's something that other girls in the team told you, understand that this so-called "requirement" may come from their own insecurities rather than actual fact.

In either case, please reconsider whether getting to dance a solo is worth damaging your health by becoming even more painfully thin. You're already underweight according to the BMI chart. If you decide it's worth it, do at least consider seeing a doctor before attempting to lose more weight.

THIS. THIS. THIS.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

I am actually not underweight just close to it.

You need to speak to a doctor.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the drinks! Not saying you do but in my early twenties I was very active and athletic and ate very little in order to control my weight (a career requirement). I also drank Milo and iced coffee and juice. At the time I had no real idea about calories, only about not eating much. Saying that I ate so little it was probably the liquids that kept me going.