Someone needs to tell me NO!!

Options
Ok, so I'm only a few days in the whole calorie counting thing and I've been really pleased with myself at how well I've controlled it, but the inevitable happened today...

Everyone has one, A BAD DAY! I managed to gather the energy to go to the gym, but instead of my usual hour stint, I only manged 25mins and burnt only half the usual calories. I've now got home, in a fairly low mood and could actually just sit and have a bloody good cry, a fat bar of chocolate and a takeaway...my mind says do it but my heart says don't give in.

I'm just wondering how everyone else gets past these moods...I will muster the strength to cook something but right now, the pizza menu is looking rather tempting :-(

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Check out the thread "New feeling for me-anxiety over missing my morning run--what?". You will get there too. just persist.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change. I see your first visit to MFP was May1. You haven't made anything a habit yet. Just keep working on it. Like everything else, it gets easier to manage over time.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    This is a lifestyle change. I see your first visit to MFP was May1. You haven't made anything a habit yet. Just keep working on it. Like everything else, it gets easier to manage over time.

My first visit to MFP was May 1st but I've been doing weight Watchers since 2010 so not a massive change in the behaviour/counting aspect. When doing weight Watchers, I just got back on the band wagon the next day if I had a "flop" but I want to get out of this habit. Any tips?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I feel that way sometimes. I try to just work things into my calorie goal. We probably eat fast food at least once a week, sometimes more. It isn't ideal, but It is my life. There isn't any reason why you can't occasionally work the pizza or the chocolate bar into your day. I understand not wanting to turn to food for comfort, but for me I'm less likely to do that if I don't feel deprived. If I thought I could never have a chocolate bar again I don't know what I would do.

PS. Sometimes you just need a good cry. I always blame it on hormones.
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    Thank you kgirlhart, that was nice to read and actually very true.

Maybe I'll just have the cry, get over it and then cook dinner. Thank you
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You kno dark chocholate takes away hunger its not that bad
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    You're right, we ALL have bad days. Just expect and accept them. They won't happen that often. As you successfully get through them without giving up completely it will continue to build your confidence.

NOT having the chocolate bar and ordering take out IS a success. Not that those things are bad in themselves, but that was your first impulse. You recognized it and stopped yourself. Super! Not a bad day at all.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen meals in my freezer for moments like that. Mostly burritos honestly. A lot of times I just don't feel like cooking, so I grab one to warm up.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I have this right - you got up, went to the gym, exercised for 25 minutes.... And you feel like a failure and want to give up??
    Why?

I think you are catastrophising here..... So you exercised a little less than usual.... I don't see why that's a massive issue, worthy of a meltdown.

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that matters for weight loss is that you just keep going. Go for a walk now if you want a bit more exercise, otherwise just go on with your day as normal, there's no need to have a crisis over something so small. And if you want pizza, order pizza - eat a moderate amount then put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I try to have a back up plan for when I really don't want to cook. I have let go of the idea I must cook for others in my house. If THEY want pizza they can order it. My back up plan is always a lean cuisine with added protein. I always have a couple good comfort food options like the neat loaf with mashed potatoes or Mac and cheese. Foods that can bring me a little comfort but stay well within control.

And also I just try to feel my emotions now. In the past I would do anything to make it stop. At times it was harming my body physically, others just eating and eating until I was sick and wasn't feeling anything but uncomfortable. Now I let myself cry. I sobbed for almost 20 minutes on Monday after work. I didn't distract myself, I let it out. I still will eat off plan and overeat from time to time but I will no longer do it to make my feelings go away before they've been processed.
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Let me see if I have this right - you got up, went to the gym, exercised for 25 minutes.... And you feel like a failure and want to give up??
    Why?

I think you are catastrophising here..... So you exercised a little less than usual.... I don't see why that's a massive issue, worthy of a meltdown.

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that matters for weight loss is that you just keep going. Go for a walk now if you want a bit more exercise, otherwise just go on with your day as normal, there's no need to have a crisis over something so small. And if you want pizza, order pizza - eat a moderate amount then put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow.

No it wasn't the gym that upset me, that was something entirely different, but I went to the gym in the wrong frame of mind and didn't do as well so came home. It was the other thing that had really bought me down. I didn't haun a massive meltdown over the time I spent in the gym lol.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your exercise hardly counts in the big picture. Eat right and you'll lose fat. A bad workout is about the least harmful thing that could happen :)
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Why?

No it wasn't the gym that upset me, that was something entirely different, but I went to the gym in the wrong frame of mind and didn't do as well so came home. It was the other thing that had really bought me down. I didn't haun a massive meltdown over the time I spent in the gym lol.

Go out for walk and while you're walking, think about why it is that you're turning to food because you're not in a good mood. What is really wrong? Eating food only solves one problem, hunger... any other problem you're having will not be solved by it. You need to figure out what WILL fix it and start working on THAT.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You worked out that is a good thing to did something. We all have bad days . When was the last time you took a day off from exercise? Remeber tommorow is another day and 25 minutes of exerciseing is 25 minutes better then doing nothing. Looseing weight is a journey and not an immediate destination.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Don't let your mood from the gym dictate what you eat, weight loss is more about calories than exercise.

Patience and persistence wins this particular race.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have had those days. I'm impressed you went to the gym at all actually. Usually I go straight home and sit there annoyed with myself that I didn't work out like I planned to and then I get hangry. That's when I want to say oh screw it. On those days I usually have cereal for dinner or a pbj or something super easy but still in my calorie goal. Other times I look at success stories or posts on here to let myself chill for just a moment and try and let the mood pass a little. Usually the threads on here motivate me to make some food or turn away from the pizza....mmmm pizza.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way

9n5vpmz3s4of.jpg
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    Hahahahaha!!!! Love it!!!!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    OK, that makes a little more sense. I guess this brings home the fact that it's easy for many of us (me included!) to turn to food to make us feel better when things aren't going well in the world. It's a learned strategy and it's hard to break these kinds of habits.

I can't say I've really got over this, but I'm doing my best to find other ways to cope with stress and upsetting things in life. I know that's the only way I'm going to be able to get to and stay at a healthier weight.

Oh, and I forgot to say: the only person who can tell you NO is you.
    I have been known to walk through a shop saying "no, no, No, no, NO, no, no, no". Literally saying it to myself.... and you know what, it does actually help!
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated if you want some chocolate have it if you want pizza have it. Fit it into your calories for the day. We can't deprive ourselves of the pleasures in life that we enjoy. If you loved to ski but broke your leg would you say you would never ski again? No. You would heal and then go ski again but be more careful. Same concept. Eat the things you like but take control. ❤️❤️