Binging

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
What are some of everyone's techniques not to binge? Had a terrible terrible day and find myself thinking about either binging on food or even worse-alcohol.

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You have to find ways to deal with the emotions, instead of distracting away from them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have some tea. Brush your teeth. Log it. Ask yourself if you REALLY want it before eating it.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, as I still do that sometimes. I just eat less the other days to make up for it...
  • elphie754
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Have some tea. Brush your teeth. Log it. Ask yourself if you REALLY want it before eating it.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, as I still do that sometimes. I just eat less the other days to make up for it...

It's more the alcohol binge I'm fighting than food, but I have been trying to not endulge in either.
  • forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    You have to find ways to deal with the emotions, instead of distracting away from them.

This.

You reached out here, so maybe try to call up a friend who can help talk you through it. A good talk over tea and a human connection is a great place to start.

Ask why you want to turn to food or alcohol instead of working through the issue. You need to find the root cause and understand your triggers so you don't spiral out of control.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Take a walk. Get out of the house, or sources of stress. I generally eat when I am bored, so I find other things to occupy me. Find a video to work out to. Write down reasons you are struggling so you can look back at your journey through it all. Best of luck to you.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If you have the ability to post about it before doing it, it's fully preventable.
  • elphie754
    Options

This.

You reached out here, so maybe try to call up a friend who can help talk you through it. A good talk over tea and a human connection is a great place to start.

Ask why you want to turn to food or alcohol instead of working through the issue. You need to find the root cause and understand your triggers so you don't spiral out of control.

Usually I can avoid triggers but today has just been so messed up, it's hard to see the bigger picture.
    mommazach wrote: »
    Take a walk. Get out of the house, or sources of stress. I generally eat when I am bored, so I find other things to occupy me. Find a video to work out to. Write down reasons you are struggling so you can look back at your journey through it all. Best of luck to you.

I know the reason I'm struggling today-I broke off the engagement with my fiancé.

I am going to try and get out of the house and find and AA meeting of there's one being held tonight nearby.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't agree with this. Sometimes it's not a matter of dealing with a single emotion, or not a specific emotion. Sometimes you just want say bleep it, and have a few beers (or rum and coke for me) to relax, tune out the world whatever. I find distracting myself away from the bad things is a better turn for me. Play a video game, read a book, go for a drive. When I'm at home I tend to be able to snap myself out of it by bringing up MFP and looking at the calories I have left.

Edit: If it's a continual ongoing issue, absolutely dealing with the problem is the best thing. The above was a 'now and again' thing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, sorry about the break up! Unless it was best for you. In that case, good for you for doing it.

Finding an AA meeting is a good idea if you think it will work for you. If you say you're worried about drinking too much do you have alcohol in the house? If so, I'd say don't have any around.

Either way, keep reaching out here or to someone in real life. Today is a bad day but tomorrow is a new day. You will get through it!
  • Ryanlee78
    Ryanlee78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hang in there im a binger (Food) too. I Agree with the above posters call a friend and or go workout..helps me
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    How often (or do you do it at all) do you allow yourself to eat a complete, full meal? By "allow" I mean you don't mind the calories, the foods, whatever. I find doing that helps a lot.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You can get through this. These negative feelings are temporary, and if you give in and binge on alcohol you will be dealing with even more pain. Right now you hurt because of the breakup, but if you drink you will have to deal with the guilt of slipping up and will be dissappointed in yourself as well. If you drink over this it will only delay the amount of time it will take you to process the end of the relationship, and everything else in your life will suffer as well. Consider everything you stand to lose if you go back to the bottle.

When it gets really hard try to distract yourself - much easier said than done I know. Try to be around supportive people. If you have friends in AA go out afterwards. If you find you're in a crisis and there is not a physical meeting available, there are meetings online. There's also a decent Sober Living forum on bluelight.com that is very supportive and uplifting.

Eating something high in sugar whether it be fruit or candy can help with some of the immediate craving.

If you're really worried that you may drink try to see a doctor and either get the Vivitrol shot or a prescription for naltrexone, which is the shot in a pill form. It really helps with cravings and I found it reduces anxiety. The shot lasts for 30 days. I have gotten the shot in desparate times to ensure my sobriety and it has saved my life.

Try to remember that though painful, these feelings are temporary and they will pass. Try to keep everything in perspective, and remember to take deep slow breaths when it hurts the most or you're coming through your skin with anxiety. Keep in mind how insidious alcohol is, and how difficult it is to stop once you start. It's not worth it. You're a strong person, you can deal with this head on. Focus on all the positive things in your life. You got this!
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    If you want to distract yourself with food, try distracting yourself with something else. Give yourself permission to watch netflix for like two hours (with a pet is best). Get some raw vegetables if you want something mindless to eat while you're watching, and you can eat basically as much as you want. Tell yourself that at the end of this period, if you still want to binge, you can (assuming that by the end of this you won't.)
  • plo726
    plo726 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello!
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. Sometimes it's not a matter of dealing with a single emotion, or not a specific emotion. Sometimes you just want say bleep it, and have a few beers (or rum and coke for me) to relax, tune out the world whatever. I find distracting myself away from the bad things is a better turn for me. Play a video game, read a book, go for a drive. When I'm at home I tend to be able to snap myself out of it by bringing up MFP and looking at the calories I have left.

Edit: If it's a continual ongoing issue, absolutely dealing with the problem is the best thing. The above was a 'now and again' thing.

It's different for alcoholics. Some people can't have a few drinks and stop, it spirals out of control. The last thing an alcoholic needs to hear is permission to go have a few drinks when they're feeling weak. I was able to get sober for a few years and then went through a hard time. Friends who didn't know I had an alcohol problem kept trying to get me to have a few drinks to relax. I finally gave in and then went on a two year bender. I had to go back to rehab as I can't stop one I start. It wasn't my friend's fault, and I'm not saying that elphie is in the same position, but in case she is, it's terrible advice so give someone who is goes to AA. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful as you may not know too much about alcoholism. Sometimes, if an alcoholic is feeling down, that external suggestion is enough of a validation to go ahead and drink. I know it's not rational but neither is alcoholism.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eat 2 entire chicken breasts then think about what you want.
  • Bedg
    Bedg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heres what works for me... If it's daytime, get out and take a walk. Too late to get out? Do some simple online yoga or a dance video work out. Drink tea. Or drink seltzer. Chew gum. Call a friend. Plan your meals for tomorrow. Remind yourself that feeling tipsy could lead to binging. If it's late, brush your teeth and go to bed.
  • elphie754
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Oh, wow, sorry about the break up! Unless it was best for you. In that case, good for you for doing it.

Finding an AA meeting is a good idea if you think it will work for you. If you say you're worried about drinking too much do you have alcohol in the house? If so, I'd say don't have any around.

Either way, keep reaching out here or to someone in real life. Today is a bad day but tomorrow is a new day. You will get through it!

Not really for the best, but going to have to try and make it for the best.

We do have alcohol in the house, but limited quantities. I did find a meeting and plan on going tonight.
    How often (or do you do it at all) do you allow yourself to eat a complete, full meal? By "allow" I mean you don't mind the calories, the foods, whatever. I find doing that helps a lot.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on.
    Afura wrote: »

It's different for alcoholics. Some people can't have a few drinks and stop, it spirals out of control. The last thing an alcoholic needs to hear is permission to go have a few drinks when they're feeling weak. I was able to get sober for a few years and then went through a hard time. Friends who didn't know I had an alcohol problem kept trying to get me to have a few drinks to relax. I finally gave in and then went on a two year bender. I had to go back to rehab as I can't stop one I start. It wasn't my friend's fault, and I'm not saying that elphie is in the same position, but in case she is, it's terrible advice so give someone who is goes to AA. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful as you may not know too much about alcoholism. Sometimes, if an alcoholic is feeling down, that external suggestion is enough of a validation to go ahead and drink. I know it's not rational but neither is alcoholism.

100% this. I've been sober for 3 years and trying very hard not to let this send me into a relapse.

• MorganMoreaux
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    100% this. I've been sober for 3 years and trying very hard not to let this send me into a relapse.

That's huge! Congratulations!!!
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

That's huge! Congratulations!!!

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the support. I kind of had a knee jerk reaction and melted down.

Was able to get in touch with my old sponsor and she was able to console me somewhat.

I was also able to speak to him and after he gets off work tonight we are going to talk things through.