Gaining Weight on 1,000 Calories

Options

Replies

• faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to post the flowchart.... this is simply not possible, barring medical conditions....
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't put much stock in BMI, but I did look up 5' 1" on a height/weight photo chart. That's really slender. I wouldn't suggest trying to lose more.
    Out of curiosity, how are you losing 1,750 calories a day? What exercise routine? That's pretty difficult for someone your size. For example, that's about an hour of running up stairs for me. For you, it would be about 3 times that. That's a lot. I wouldn't claim you can't do it, but it stands out as something that makes me wonder.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    treesloth wrote: »
    I don't put much stock in BMI, but I did look up 5' 1" on a height/weight photo chart. That's really slender. I wouldn't suggest trying to lose more.
    Out of curiosity, how are you losing 1,750 calories a day? What exercise routine? That's pretty difficult for someone your size. For example, that's about an hour of running up stairs for me. For you, it would be about 3 times that. That's a lot. I wouldn't claim you can't do it, but it stands out as something that makes me wonder.

Below 100 pounds didn't even show up on the cart I looked at, which should tell OP something.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Can you get that rule in writing? I would not be dieting at all, I would be prepping for challenging the rule. It's ridiculous.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP if you are gaining you are eating more then a 1,000 calories. As far as the dance weight rule change schools asap, that's ridiculous and OP you don't need to lose weight, stop now before you have eating issues.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi! I am a 19 year old girl, 5 foot 1, and 95 pounds. I have currently been trying to get to 90 pounds as I am trying out for my college's dance team again this year and I need to be 90 pounds to be considered for a solo. I have been exercising regularly, burning an average of 1,750 calories and eating 1,000 calories, thus giving me a net of -750. I have still been slowly gaining weight and I am really wondering why.

Per your info you have a BMR of 1265 calories a day. That is calories to keep you breathing in and out lying in bed all day.

Then you exercise too; getting an exercise burn of 485 calories.

There is no way I can think of to gain weight on negative net energy.

So you are eating more than 1,000 calories, burning less than 1,750, or, especially if this is a little blip on the scale, you are retaining water.

Also most of the people here would tell you that at an already low weight you shouldn't run more than a 250 calorie a day deficit, which gives you about a half pound a week loss. So you could eat another 500 calories a day, exercise less, or some combination of the two.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    mrschikin wrote: »
    How do you know you need to be 90 lbs to be considered for a solo? If it's written down somewhere, that's a Title IX claim waiting to happen. If it's something that other girls in the team told you, understand that this so-called "requirement" may come from their own insecurities rather than actual fact.

In either case, please reconsider whether getting to dance a solo is worth damaging your health by becoming even more painfully thin. You're already underweight according to the BMI chart. If you decide it's worth it, do at least consider seeing a doctor before attempting to lose more weight.

I am actually not underweight just close to it.

Nope you are already underweight and your goal is to be even further underweight. 98 lbs is the lowest Normal Weight for your height on a BMI chart.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    INTERMITTENT FASTING
    Two days out of the week till dinner time. This helps regulate blood sugar and jump starts metabolism. remember to lower carbs to 30% of your intake. And cardio cardio cardio!!!

This information is incorrect
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If my daughters school made this a rule, I'd be reporting them! Way to set up young girls for an eating disorder! :mad:
  • marytfitness
    marytfitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are either underweight or have a damaged metabolism... because there's no way you can be gaining weight at 95 lbs at 5'1" and eating only 1000 calories. General maintenance for that height is approximately 1400-1500 calories and you're not even close within that range and are still gaining weight?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    mrschikin wrote: »
    How do you know you need to be 90 lbs to be considered for a solo? If it's written down somewhere, that's a Title IX claim waiting to happen. If it's something that other girls in the team told you, understand that this so-called "requirement" may come from their own insecurities rather than actual fact.

In either case, please reconsider whether getting to dance a solo is worth damaging your health by becoming even more painfully thin. You're already underweight according to the BMI chart. If you decide it's worth it, do at least consider seeing a doctor before attempting to lose more weight.

I am actually not underweight just close to it.

Yes, you are underweight by BMI, which means your total health risk is higher at this weight than a few pounds heavier. I don't think you are by any means dangerously underweight, or that you should worry about it or try to gain. But there is zero possibility that you would be healthier by losing weight. The ONLY health (and performance) outcome to dropping lower is negative, you are going in the wrong direction, like someone fat getting fatter - you are past the line where that happens. You aren't going to lose fat once you are down to essential fat, you will only lose muscle, heart, bone, brain.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    you are only .4 bmi points above the anorexia diagnostic bmi so yes you are underweight
  • Ceelio
    Ceelio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are NOT eating enough!!! Your body is in starvation mode and holding on to everything it gets.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    you are only .4 bmi points above the anorexia diagnostic bmi so yes you are underweight

And her goal puts her at .5 below that.