Kind of gross question! But please read!

Options
If you eat something, and then have diarrhea, are you not going to absorb all the calories from it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you would measure the food after ingesting, so I would yes to all the calories.
  • marytfitness
    marytfitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All foods goes in one hole and they come out another hole. Either way, your body took it in. Yes, your body took in the calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It depends on where in the digestive system you are having issues. Most nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine. I would count all the calories anyways as malabsorption is not an issue most people have
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well I KNOW WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY IS NOT HEALTHY OR RECOMMENDED. I DO NOT DO IT, I AM JUST ASKING FOR CURIOSITY AT THIS POINT. Don't people who take laxatives loose weight? Or is that strictly water and not not absorbing calories?
  • Wishdog
    Wishdog Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't absorb the nutrients, but a good rule of thumb is what everyone else said. If you ate it, log what you ate. Until Fitbit makes a poop tracker.
    (This is why I hate chia seeds. 15g is 80 calories but I can tell I don't digest those little dudes. I also hate them getting stuck in my teeth. But they make cottage cheese seem a lot more cool and healthy.)
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    It's exclusively water weight and the weight of the poop in the intestines you lose while abusing laxatives. Malabsorption occurs in diseases like Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, etc

My brother has ulcerative colitis, lost boat loads of weight during the months it took them to diagnose him, has the strictest diet of anyone I've known and is in miserable pain every day of his life.

May lose part of his colon

Hello, colostomy bag

Malabsorption doesn't sound so great anymore.

I'll take diarrhea with absorption of nutrients any day over that.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @alyssa0061 I'm in the same boat but have Crohn's not UC and am now back to normal weight. I had 10 months of 0 iron in my blood and very low ferritin and had tons of iron infusions and blood transfusions, lost most of my hair, had very low blood protein and was on TPN to totally bypass my intestines when I am in a horrible flare. I suffered tachycardia and my RHR was 140 and I had no colour and was very, very weak. It's really not fun.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    oh and lose a lot of electrolytes which is dangerous and lose the ability to go to the bathroom without using laxatives.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Talk about calories out....

:o

Diarrhea has many causes. Extra water in your poop does not make it any less digested. It just makes it messy. If this is a chronic issue you need to seek the advice of your Dr. Dysentery is not a good weight loss program.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Please don't' do this, please don't.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    For it to come out your butt, it's been processed. Unless it looks the same coming out as it did going in (I'm looking at you, corn!), it's been processed.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Let's just say that for me that all fruits, veggies, meat skin, etc comes out the same way it goes in but I have Crohn's so that explains the malabsorption of those things. I just don't eat them
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    witcherkar wrote: »
    Well I KNOW WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY IS NOT HEALTHY OR RECOMMENDED. I DO NOT DO IT, I AM JUST ASKING FOR CURIOSITY AT THIS POINT. Don't people who take laxatives loose weight? Or is that strictly water and not not absorbing calories?

You're just emptying your bowels. You will loose the weight of the actual poo which is temporary unless your dead.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    There's no way to be certain, for reasons others have cited.

Don't do it on purpose, though - it's not even a tiny bit healthy.