Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vasectomy And Working Out

2»

Replies

• tristanoconnell
    tristanoconnell Posts: 9 Member
    So today woke up feeling no pain at all. Went about my day as usual (doc said I could) - however, cutting out workout - by 3p I was sore and back on the couch. Gonna take a week off, at least. The reason for my asking the question to all you weisenheimers who are telling me that I'm an *kitten* if I ignore the doctor is that I'm an attny and I know that doctors are so worried about malpractice that they often overstate what is really necessary in order to cover their *kitten*. Thus I was asking if anyone had started back up less than the prescribed two weeks. I appreciate all of you who gave advice worthy of response.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    So today woke up feeling no pain at all. Went about my day as usual (doc said I could) - however, cutting out workout - by 3p I was sore and back on the couch. Gonna take a week off, at least. The reason for my asking the question to all you weisenheimers who are telling me that I'm an *kitten* if I ignore the doctor is that I'm an attny and I know that doctors are so worried about malpractice that they often overstate what is really necessary in order to cover their *kitten*. Thus I was asking if anyone had started back up less than the prescribed two weeks. I appreciate all of you who gave advice worthy of response.

Good to know, nothing to see here folks.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    richln wrote: »
    Had a vasectomy for my birthday last year.

Did I miss a workout? No, but I had mine on a Friday morning and the next training cycle didnt begin until the following Tuesday. But I was cautious and left out my usual volume/weights and when it came time for squats, I didn't do my normal squats, but did a 10x10 of 135 lbs Sumo.

Otherwise, we make too big of deal of this procedure. If you feel able, take it slow/light. If you don't feel able, grab another bag of frozen peas and sit out a week.

All I got for my last birthday was a case of beer and some candy :/
    Play you cards right and someday this could be you.
  • 2015Jason
    2015Jason Posts: 34 Member
    Hmmmm. Can't remember what my doc said back when I had mine. Think it was a week. I'd wait at least that. The risk is probably just busted stitches, but who wants that?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited May 2016
    I remember my husband feeling great the day following his. Day of was ice and rest, day after he went on a work lunch that included a tour of a two story building about 6000sq feet. He could not walk the third day. There are many stories similar to this. Take it easy, ice, listen to your doc. After a week I would say walking for exercise. But running/lifting/anything harder is going to increase the pressure in the body and cause pain, swelling, and some crazy story you may or may not tell to friends. Use caution and do anything at your own risk.
    Eta: Old post sorry! Hope the op healed ok!
  • tristanoconnell
    tristanoconnell Posts: 9 Member
    I remember my husband feeling great the day following his. Day of was ice and rest, day after he went on a work lunch that included a tour of a two story building about 6000sq feet. He could not walk the third day. There are many stories similar to this. Take it easy, ice, listen to your doc. After a week I would say walking for exercise. But running/lifting/anything harder is going to increase the pressure in the body and cause pain, swelling, and some crazy story you may or may not tell to friends. Use caution and do anything at your own risk.
    Eta: Old post sorry! Hope the op healed ok!

Thanks - I am back at full strength, even rode 40mins on my bike today. I appreciate the words/experience. I took it easy up until day 9 and then started slowly working out and increasing a bit each day. Still get sore even now, but it's totally tolerable and I am not experiencing any swelling.