Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Sugar our Biggest Diet Breaker?

Options
svel713
svel713 Posts: 141 Member
Doctors say a new study provides 'the strongest evidence to date' that sugar causes health risks, regardless of whether it increases calorie intake

Diet's Composition: "The diet overall had the same fat, protein, carbohydrate, and calorie levels as their previous diets at home, with the carbohydrate from sugar replaced by foods such as bagels, cereals and pasta. Hot dogs, crisps and pizza from local supermarkets all featured in the diet."

Diet's Sugar Cals: "Overall, the total dietary sugar in the meal plan was reduced from 28 per cent to 10 per cent, and fructose from 12 per cent to 4 per cent of total calories."

Satiety: " 'When we took the sugar out, the kids started responding to their satiety cues. They told us it felt like so much more food, even though they were consuming the same number of calories as before, just with significantly less sugar.' "

Opinions on this? I'm asking because I did a similar diet and have had major success, but this is the only study I have that points specifically to what I've done. I've not found anyone else debate sugar vs. non-sweet-tasting carbs.

Replies