losing weight on 1500 calories per day?

Options
I wasn't losing at 1400 and was advised to up my calories...What are your thoughts?

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds nuts, unless you are starting a serious exercise program where you were burning more than the increased calories. If you were not losing at 1400, why do you think you would lose eating more?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing at 1400 then increasing your calories won't help you lose weight. Sometimes increasing your calories helps you to stick to your goals better, but increasing calories is never the way to lose weight. If you are not losing at 1400 you are probably eating more than you think. Before you increase calories, get a digital scale and weigh all of your solid foods and only use measuring cups for liquids. You will probably find that you are eating more than 1400. You should also measure prepackaged food too. They can be off by as much as 20% so if you eat a lot of prepackaged foods it can make a difference.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Odds are, you were eating more than 1400 / day. Usually this happens with portions that are "eyeballed" rather than measured. it's not hard to have 600 cal you didn't intend over the course of an unmeasured day.

This^

Increasing your daily limit by 100 calories (or even decreasing it by 100) won't "trigger" weight loss.

You just need a calorie deficit for weight loss. Google your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).....your maintenance. Eat fewer calories than this and you will lose weight. Keep in mind water weight (high sodium, sore muscles, time of month) can make your weight fluctuate.

Getting the hang of measuring every bite, every lick, every taste can take some time. Double check your MFP selections. There's a lot of crap in the database that is flat out wrong.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing at 1400 and was advised to up my calories...What are your thoughts?

Starvation mode is not a thing.

What are your stats? Height, weight, sex?
  • daffyblessed
    daffyblessed Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well, I thought that upping cals was pretty odd too. That said, I track everything I eat, via the food data base right here at MFP, as well as weighing and measuring all food I eat so I am confident that I was in fact eating 1400 - or fewer cals per day, in fact, I usually add a few cals to my diary to make up for the database numbers that are probably not accurate. 1400 cals is plenty of food to keep me full. Maybe there is something else going on with me that is making weight loss so difficult?

Thanks for the replies. I am going to drop it down to 1300 and see what happens.

I am female, 61 years, 164 lbs, 5'4 inches tall and light activity.

• sarodriguez372
    sarodriguez372 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Actually having a trainer tell you to increase is not unheard of. I have a good friend who is a trainer and she told me she has clients that she has recommended they increase calories slightly. Sometimes it's a slow metabolism and you need a few more calories to boost that matabolsm. I am 10 years younger than you 51 ... I feel a difference in my body like every 10 years it becomes a little harder to lose weight . I can't lose any weight on 1200 per day but when I eat good needed food calories at 1300-1400 that's perfect for me and I can lose about 1 pound a week.
    Another trick my friend taught me is to trick your body and try switching up calories every other day. Go 1300 one day and then try maybe 1400-1500 next day. Also fluctuating your carb intake every other days might work to.
    Sometimes it's trail and error until you find what works best
  • daffyblessed
    Options
    Actually having a trainer tell you to increase is not unheard of. I have a good friend who is a trainer and she told me she has clients that she has recommended they increase calories slightly. Sometimes it's a slow metabolism and you need a few more calories to boost that matabolsm. I am 10 years younger than you 51 ... I feel a difference in my body like every 10 years it becomes a little harder to lose weight . I can't lose any weight on 1200 per day but when I eat good needed food calories at 1300-1400 that's perfect for me and I can lose about 1 pound a week.
    Another trick my friend taught me is to trick your body and try switching up calories every other day. Go 1300 one day and then try maybe 1400-1500 next day. Also fluctuating your carb intake every other days might work to.
    Sometimes it's trail and error until you find what works best

Oh, thank you so much for that explanation. Now I better understand the slight increase in calorie recommendation. I will try your suggestion of alternating calorie days and see what happens with that plan. Thank you!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I was told that by a trainer and others and I ended up losing weight more slowly.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OP, just as a comparison for you: I'm female, 62, 5'6", hover around 140 and maintain on 1500. Fairly sedentary.
  • daffyblessed
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    OP, just as a comparison for you: I'm female, 62, 5'6", hover around 140 and maintain on 1500. Fairly sedentary.

Yes, 140 is my goal weight. I looked good at 135-healthy weight for me, but that was 15 years ago and I think the extra 5 will keep me "filled out" ;) So, 140 it is!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    With your stats, the calories you are eating are probably close to your maintenance level. You are possibly maintaining at 1500-1600 calories so eating 1400 yields less than half a pound a week, which can easily be masked by weight fluctuations. My personal advice to you would be patience.

If you want to make the loss a little bit faster you could add random short walks throughout the day if you are able to, or any kind active time. You don't need to push yourself beyond what you think is reasonable though. Since you don't have a lot of weight to lose your weight will be coming off slowly anyway, so finding a level of effort that is sustainable to you is more important than attempting to speed things up, and again, patience.
  • daffyblessed
    edited May 2016
    Options
    With your stats, the calories you are eating are probably close to your maintenance level. You are possibly maintaining at 1500-1600 calories so eating 1400 yields less than half a pound a week, which can easily be masked by weight fluctuations. My personal advice to you would be patience.

If you want to make the loss a little bit faster you could add random short walks throughout the day if you are able to, or any kind active time. You don't need to push yourself beyond what you think is reasonable though. Since you don't have a lot of weight to lose your weight will be coming off slowly anyway, so finding a level of effort that is sustainable to you is more important than attempting to speed things up, and again, patience.

I agree. I am not in a race to lose, but can certainly up my activity level as I am not impaired in any way. :) And I have lost 3 lbs in the past month-that's not bad, right? The weight loss stopped, but maybe that's only a temporary thing. I noticed that in my original post I said I wasn't losing at 1400, and should have said I stopped losing...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I agree. I am not in a race to lose, but can certainly up my activity level as I am not impaired in any way. :) And I have lost 3 lbs in the past month-that's not bad, right? The weight loss stopped, but maybe that's only a temporary thing.

Good attitude. Yes, it's very likely your halt is temporary. Simple things can add up. I have some health issues that cause me to maintain at a lower number than expected. One simple change more than made up for that without overwhelming me. In addition to my regular exercise (I run and incline walk for exercise) I just move a lot more. For example, I stroll around the house while the kettle is boiling, microwave is heating...etc, make extra trips for laundry, take extra trips to the grocery store when I need something small instead of waiting for grocery day, and leave the heavier stuff for grocery day. These random 2-3 minute walks throughout the days add up to about at least 30 extra minutes of movement every day and have become a habit. So effectively, I don't feel my loss is any different from a normal person who does not have my metabolic issues.
  • daffyblessed
    Options

I agree. I am not in a race to lose, but can certainly up my activity level as I am not impaired in any way. :) And I have lost 3 lbs in the past month-that's not bad, right? The weight loss stopped, but maybe that's only a temporary thing.

Good attitude. Yes, it's very likely your halt is temporary. Simple things can add up. I have some health issues that cause me to maintain on a lower number than expected. One simple change more than made up for that without overwhelming me. In addition to my regular exercise (I run and incline walk for exercise) I just move a lot more. For example, I stroll around the house while the kettle is boiling, microwave is heating...etc, make extra trips for laundry, take extra trips to the grocery store when I need something instead of waiting for grocery day. These random 2-3 minute walks throughout the days add up to about at least 30 extra minutes of movement every day and have become a habit. So effectively, I don't feel my loss is any different from a normal person who does not have my metabolic issues.

I used to be extremely active, but as I entered early menopause (at 45) the weight crept on unexpectedly and now I find myself at the top end of where I never thought I'd be. Along with the menopause came depression, and consequently a lot less activity. That needs to change!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm 5' 3", and i don't lose eating 1400 calories unless i work out, as well. i find walking helps a lot.
  • daffyblessed
    Options
    i'm 5' 3", and i don't lose eating 1400 calories unless i work out, as well. i find walking helps a lot.

Looks like it's time for me to clear off my treadmill and get back at it :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hi, 62yo here.

Once you up your exercise please remember that MFP has your deficit built into your basic calorie goal and expects you to eat back exercise calories. 50-75% is good as MFP over estimates the burn.
    I lost on 1200 plus 150-170 exercise calories at 5'1 going from 130 - 100/105 maintenance range, so 1400 plus exercise calories should still keep you losing.

Also as we age it is important to include some resistance work (weight lifting or bodywork). It helps us strengthen our bones and retain muscle.

A higher protien level is also good for muscle retention.

Here are a couple of articles for you. ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760315/

http://www.iofbonehealth.org/preventing-sarcopenia

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing on 1400 then increasing will not help. It is likely you are eating more than you think. Are you weighing/measuring your food?