Olive Garden/ Restaurants in General

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    skbrodie wrote: »
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    Yup. Restaurants are not forgiving with their food. That's why I always look up the menu first. I never go into restaurants without some sort of idea and ballpark estimate of what I'm about to eat. I can't wait for the restaurant tracker on the app to get more thorough. Until then I just use websites and smart decision making.

Yep I usually do the same, but this was extremely last minute. Not too worried about it though, it's only one day.

I've gone to the restroom before ordering to check up calories , lol!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    People still eat at Olive Garden?

About $3.7 billion worth (in 2013).

You don't eat there?
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I so rarely eat restaurant food that I just order whatever I want and let the calories fall where they may. It's only one meal.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

You don't eat there?

Not that poster, but I've only eaten at OG once in my 31 years of life and I don't have plans to ever go back there. The food isn't that great and it's more about quantity than quality. Now that I have a pasta machine, I make fresh pasta at home whenever.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Not me, seems like two minutes after I eat it ,I have to drive 100 mile an hour to my house to use the bathroom lol
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat out, and when I do I know about it in advance, so I plan for it. When socializing, I try to focus the getting together around an activity that doesn't involve food or drink, so we can get together and have fun without it disrupting my food routine. Every now and then it's unavoidable and food has to be involved and when possible I either try to cook or we get take out so I can just make my own food while everyone else has the take out. Just, thought I would share, however I must say that I know I am in the minority because I simply don't like to eat out in the first place. Unless we go to an expensive restaurant, I find most places (chain restaurants) to be way too loud and the food isn't good quality and often, too high in sodium for my taste.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You don't eat there?

Not that poster, but I've only eaten at OG once in my 31 years of life and I don't have plans to ever go back there. The food isn't that great and it's more about quantity than quality. Now that I have a pasta machine, I make fresh pasta at home whenever.

I don't go out of my way to eat there personally, but it seems a little ridiculous to me to judge those who do. $3.7b annually is a lot of people, so yeah, a lot of people eat there...and not all of them overweight. And I'd assume these people are not inherently less foodie than others.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

You don't eat there?

I don't go out of my way to eat there personally, but it seems a little ridiculous to me to judge those who do. $3.7b annually is a lot of people, so yeah, a lot of people eat there...and not all of them overweight. And I'd assume these people are not inherently less foodie than others.

I didn't say that other people can't eat there. Nor do I really judge others for eating there. I just wasn't impressed with the food [hence why I said it wasn't that good] and now that I have a pasta machine I can make fresh pasta whenever I want.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You don't eat there?

I didn't say that other people can't eat there. Nor do I really judge others for eating there. I just wasn't impressed with the food [hence why I said it wasn't that good] and now that I have a pasta machine I can make fresh pasta whenever I want.

My comment was more directed to the original comment someone else made about "people still eat at OG?" But since you took over for them in their absence, I replied to you.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When I go to Olive Garden, I get the minestrone and order my breadsticks plain. They take a little longer, but come out hot from the oven. They will even bring you a little cup of their seasoning on the side. A couple of bowls of soup and a bresdstick or two makes for a filling, rather reasonable for eating out meal.

That works for me, because I am not a fan of their entrées. The soup tastes fresh and homemade.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

You don't eat there?

My comment was more directed to the original comment someone else made about "people still eat at OG?" But since you took over for them in their absence, I replied to you.

Ah ok. I didn't realize that.

I agree with you that OG is popular. It does seem to be crowded all the time, same with The Cheesecake Factory.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    When I go to Olive Garden, I get the minestrone and order my breadsticks plain. They take a little longer, but come out hot from the oven. They will even bring you a little cup of their seasoning on the side. A couple of bowls of soup and a bresdstick or two makes for a filling, rather reasonable for eating out meal.

That works for me, because I am not a fan of their entrées. The soup tastes fresh and homemade.

I didn't know you could order plain breadsticks. My son and I are probably going to end up there this afternoon (it's my son's favorite restaurant - I'm not really a fan of Italian food myself) so this tip will come in handy. When I do eat there, I usually get the salmon or tilapia dishes.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yep I usually do the same, but this was extremely last minute. Not too worried about it though, it's only one day.
    That's exactly the mind set to have! It's just one day :smiley:
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've gone to the restroom before ordering to check up calories , lol!

Ha I do this too. Maybe not as much anymore because most of my friends, and of course my fiance, know that I'm actively tracking/counting. Sometimes I just feel a little self-conscious about having to look things up and decide what's best, but I'm getting over it since I know it works the best for me.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm going there for lunch today and I HAVE to plan ahead otherwise I will order the unhealthiest, cheesiest item from the menu. I plan on getting their "make your own pasta" with whole wheat linguine, marinara and grilled chicken. I will not eat a breadstick, but will get salad with no cheese
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm going there for lunch today and I HAVE to plan ahead otherwise I will order the unhealthiest, cheesiest item from the menu. I plan on getting their "make your own pasta" with whole wheat linguine, marinara and grilled chicken. I will not eat a breadstick, but will get salad with no cheese

700ish calories?
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I walk into a restaurant with an agenda and my guard up! I order water and peruse the menu. When bread comes I show my Palm and say 'no bread please'. I order one lean protein food and 2 vegetables or whole fruit dishes. If there is a whole grain option I will get that. I refuse to give into any refined grain or fried option, even if I'm hungry and and my table mates are doing it. Most of the time I take half home. Dessert=never. I'm always surprised how satisfied I am at the end of the meal! This habit of mine has gotten me strange looks and comments and more than a few rolled eyes, but I'm so determined to get this weight off that I'm willing to keep it up. Actually, it's fun now and I know just what to order at my favorite places.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

You don't eat there?

We used to eat there regularly years ago and then the quality took a nose dive so we stopped going.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I eat the minestrone, salad (no dressing) and a couple breadsticks with some tea whenever I go there. I'm going there for lunch today and will do the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks again. I have no problems sticking to my goals that way.

It helps that the minestrone is also my favorite item on their menu.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    olive garden has a 300 calorie kid's pasta meal. add a single non-heaping plate of salad for approximately 140 calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Went to Olive Garden unexpectedly for lunch today... I ate half of my pasta, salad and 1 breadstick (as well as a Dr. Pepper) and still ate 1000 calories :o

My meal on the regular menu was the same price as the "buy one take one" option and so I got that thinking the portions were half size but they were full size portions so I now have 1.5 full portions of pasta in my refrigerator!

I have always known restaurant portions were way too large but geez!! I didn't realize just how many calories it would be.

It isn't so much the portions as how they cook them. Lots of butter and oil.