Fish...

Options
MaitreyeeMAYHEM
MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
I need some recipes for fish such as salmon, halibut and cod. I look on pinterest but most of them have recipes that use butter. I normally do the basic salt, pepper, fish seasoning and lemon. I want to zest up my fish recipes without drowning it in butter.

Replies

• willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Peppers and onions are my go to when I don't want to add fat to a dish
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Peppers and onions are my go to when I don't want to add fat to a dish

What kind of peppers do you use? My bf hates bell peppers so I'd have to go with a jalapeno or something.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of "fish in a bag" recipes, there are loads of them available on Pinterest, etc. Here's an example of one we quite like.

http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meat-recipes/fish-parcels-with-ginger-spring-onions-recipe/
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    caammph wrote: »
    I make a lot of "fish in a bag" recipes, there are loads of them available on Pinterest, etc. Here's an example of one we quite like.

http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meat-recipes/fish-parcels-with-ginger-spring-onions-recipe/

good idea! that looks so good.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They're easy and you can find a recipe to suit just about everyone!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    caammph wrote: »
    They're easy and you can find a recipe to suit just about everyone!

Good point. I also like this idea because I can easily make fish while camping. I don't need to quit my diet because of an activity.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Atlantic salmon is easy - salt and put under the broiler...it has enough fat to brown beautifully
    I used haddock today to make the fish tacos...salt and pan fry in nonstick pan
    Use basa or haddock in Sichuan boil fish recipes.
    Beer fish - a yangshuo specialty
    Made Thai fish cakes...almost springy in texture...could also make Atlantic flaky versions.
    Fishy pie - we make Jamie Oliver's
    White fish in foil with olives and caper (butter would be good too)

• sarahcampos555
    sarahcampos555 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to bake salmon with a mix of
    -1/2 tsp of olive oil
    -1/4 tsp of lemon juice
    -a pinch of pepper
    -a pinch of salt
    -chopped/minced garlic, basil, and parsley (depending on how potent you want it)

Preheat oven to 375, wrap the fish in tin foil and bake for 35-45 minutes! It's very good with veggies and brown rice!
  • JesusBlasco
    JesusBlasco Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My salmon recipe, i love lemon ! :D.

First of all preheat hoven, mine is at 275ºC.

100 - 300gr. Salmon
    1 lemon, juiced
    You can add some spicies on top
    Onion is awesome too!
    The last thing i add is a little of water (we'll have more joice at the end)

Then wait for 40 min in hoven, and its ready! :D .

I dont't usually use oil and salt with salmon, it just doesn´t need it :D , average salmon have arround 10 gr. of healthy fat over 100gr, it's enough for a fish, if you need more fat to your diet, you can allways use crude oil :P

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I usually make tuna agrodolce (sweet and sour Sicilian style) with salmon; I sweeten it with stevia rather than sugar (and for my taste, a tablespoon of sugar is way too much in this recipe):

http://www.ciaoitalia.com/seasons/20/2013/sweet-and-sour-tuna

It's a simple and easy recipe (the recipe I use is nearly identical to this one). I use dry mint flakes in this, but obviously fresh is better if you have it. I also brown the fish and onions in a couple of tablespoons of oil rather than the half cup the recipe calls for. The dish reheats great, and I'll usually have it for dinner a couple of nights and also take it to work for lunch. I typically put the onion mixture on top of the tuna rather than underneath. Haven't tried it with cannellini beans or chick peas, but will definitely try that next time I make it.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Chopped onion and tomato, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
    Squeeze fresh lemon before eating
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I need some recipes for fish such as salmon, halibut and cod. I look on pinterest but most of them have recipes that use butter. I normally do the basic salt, pepper, fish seasoning and lemon. I want to zest up my fish recipes without drowning it in butter.

Just posted a cod recipe that i cooked today on my blog go check it out! Http://skinnybitchblog.wordpress.com
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Blackened salmon - coat in spices and shallow fry until crispy on both sides.
    Brazilian Seafood Stew
    Horse Radish and Apple Glazed Salmon
    Spicy Fish with Stir Fried Vegetables
    Goan Fish Curry
    Sri Lankan Fish Curry
    Bangladeshi Fish Curry
    Salmon in Mustard Sauce

I could go on.......
  • daniii756
    daniii756 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For Cod i like to bake it in the oven with fresh lemon and lemon pepper seasoning, you can also batter it with oat flour n egg to give it a new texture and cook it on the stove top with coconut oil. I like keeping my fish basic
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    White fish such as cod goes really nice with fennel and citrus. If you do a search for fennel cod recipes, you will find a bunch.
  • she800hunter2014
    she800hunter2014 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I heard Dill will freshly squeezed lemon is good but I haven't tried it yet.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I made these last night (cut mayo in sauce by half, doubles yogurt) http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Fish-Tacos-Chipotle-Sauce and the dry rub on the fish (cod) was nice.

I also make a miso salmon that is really nice. Bonus: you can marinate mushrooms, Japanese eggplant, etc in the marinade as well.

1/4 c white miso
    1/2 c sake
    1/4 c sugar
    1 Tbs soy sauce
    1 t fresh ginger

Mix all ingredients, pour over salmon. Marinate at least 1/2 hour. Remove fish from marinade DO NOT DISCARD MARINADE and saute fish over medium heat in a little oil. Remove fish to rest once cooked and pour marinade in pan, thin a little with water if needed. Heat until bubbly. Place fish on cooked rice, spoon sauce over. serve with veggies or namasu (vegetable salad in vinegar sauce)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Get some tomato pasta sauce, put a small amount in an oven proof dish (just enough to cover the bottom). Take skin-on fish fillets, rub the skin side with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay in the dish with the skin up.

Bake in a HOT oven for about 20min until sauce is bubbling and skin is crispy.

Best with white fish, especially sea bass or bream. Make sure the fillets have had the scales taken off - you'll want to eat that crispy skin!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Or do a mornay for more indulgent days - make a cheese bechamel (Google this if you don't know how, I eyeball it so I can't give you quantities. It's very easy, don't worry about lumps, they're not a big deal).

Get an oven dish, put skinless white fish filets in it and cover with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 180C/350F for about 20min until fish flakes easily. I put the grill on for about the last 5 min to get the cheese really bubbly. Serve with lots of green salad.

Not a low calorie dish... not sure if it qualifies for the thread or not. I mean, it's not butter you're downing it in, it's cheese. And butter. And flour...

What can I say? Save it for a special occasion.