What do I do with these weights? :)

Options
I've been doing diet/cardio for 5-6 weeks now and I'm going to start adding weightlifting now. The problem is that I am very weak, and the smallest weights my gym has are 10lbs (all free weights, no machines). Are they any good online references for types of exercises you can do with free weights meant for an absolute beginner (preferably w/ pics or videos)? Thank you!

Replies

• Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i have a hard time with weights. 30 day shred really helped me get tone :) I think you can view it online as well.
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just realized you said at the gym...I'm no help at all! but I do recommend the videos :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If you get some dumb bells in a 3 and 5 lb weight to start, you can build up from there. You can get Weight Training for Dummies and it's helpful as well :wink: Not calling you a dummy of course but when I wanted to advance my weight lifting knowledge, I found it helpful.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Pick them up, and put them down!!

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Y'know... it sounds silly, but I would fill up your water bottle and start with that. You might do more harm than good going from nothing and trying to lift 10lb weights straight away. Youtube will have videos of people lifting weights if you can't afford a trainer. I sprung for 4 PT sessions when I joined my gym - just so I could learn how to use the machines and the free weights properly. It was $100 well spent.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yeah! What the monkey guy said!! ^^^
  • nicolette311
    Options
    use this link, this lady Jennifer is great! Use the tips in this link and check out other videos she has by searching youtube.com with FitnessRx for Women, hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75c6R4G2CY&feature=related
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yeah! What the monkey guy said!! ^^^

The monkey guy is pretty smart.
  • nicolette311
    Options
    Oh, and I just use 5 lb. weights, nothing fancy!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can go somewhere like ****'s sporting goods and they have little weights. I have 1 and 2 lb weights. They are normally like 2-3$ each, but sometimes you can find them on sale. The ones I got are very nice and covered with neoprene(soft plastic stuff), the ones that are on sale are the ones where a little bit of the soft stuff got scraped off. They still work fine and I think they're around a dollar a piece. Very affordable and you can just stick them in your gym bag, an added bonus when you're carrying your gym bag around =D

To buy the 'damaged' merchandise, you'll probably have to go into a store

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?fbc=1&fr=StorePrice/DSP/00000000/00002000&categoryId=4417770&fbn=StorePrice|under+%2420.00&pg=1