Alcohol, caloric deficit, and weight loss. Simple or not so simple?

Options
I'm planning on heading home for the summer soon and while I'm excited, I'm also a little nervous. I tend to drink a little more over the summer - definitely a couple drinks a couple nights a week. I mainly do vodka club soda now as it is low cal and refreshing.

If I just budget my calories on days that I do drink so that I am still under my calorie goal for the day, will I still lose weight? (I also typically don't eat my exercise calories back.)
I have searched many threads and it seems like some people say that alcohol inhibits weight loss regardless of whether it fits in your budget. Other people just say that you lose weight when you burn more calories than you consume.

Any thoughts or experience?

(No, I'm not an alcoholic and it isn't like I NEED to drink, but it would be nice to be able to do the things I enjoy still this summer. And I normally do try to exercise by cycling or jogging/walking each day for up to an hour - it isn't like I'm just going to be sitting around drinking excess calories).

Thanks for any input :)

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I drop weight consistently and usually binge drink once a week, without counting calories. You're fine to enjoy.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine a couple nights a week and on Saturday nights...woohoo, I may have 3 glasses. Work it into your calorie budget for the day. Have a great summer!
  • jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have found that when I do drink, regardless of my calorie deficit I either stay at the same weight (on a good day) or gain. So I generally try to avoid it altogether. But if I so drink, I drink vodka/ gin and vermouth with lemon. Soda is extra cals
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    "Other people just say that you lose weight when you burn more calories than you consume." - this is the correct statement. Sounds like you've already figured it out. Vodka with club soda or soda water is low in calories and as long as it fits into your calorie goals it doesn't matter.

Some people have the problem of over eating when they drink and they are usually the ones that say alcohol inhibits weight loss. If your calories are balanced out over the week then you should be fine. Enjoy your summer!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Just log any alcohol like you would anything else. Do be warned that a serving of vodka is usually 1 ounce. A pour from a bartender should be 1.5oz but depending on where you get your drinks, it could be as much as 2.5 oz so plan accordingly.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    jenerek_md wrote: »
    Hi there, I have found that when I do drink, regardless of my calorie deficit I either stay at the same weight (on a good day) or gain. So I generally try to avoid it altogether. But if I so drink, I drink vodka/ gin and vermouth with lemon. Soda is extra cals

Club soda has zero calories.

OP, I have never given up alcohol and have managed to lose 30+ pounds. If it fits into your calorie goal you should be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier and had more weight to lose, having some drinks was not a big deal. I'm pretty lean now and regular/frequent alcohol consumption definitely inhibits my ability to get any leaner regardless it seems. You also have to remember that alcohol inhibits your metabolism for as long as the alcohol is in your system...as long as alcohol is in your system, you won't oxidize fat or carbs, just the alcohol.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Just log any alcohol like you would anything else. Do be warned that a serving of vodka is usually 1 ounce. A pour from a bartender should be 1.5oz but depending on where you get your drinks, it could be as much as 2.5 oz so plan accordingly.

I pray it's 2.5 oz if you're tipping someone to pour it. Those bucks add up man.

Side note, never ask for the bartender's favorite if you're looking for a cheap drink. I am a sucker.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "Other people just say that you lose weight when you burn more calories than you consume." - this is the correct statement. Sounds like you've already figured it out. Vodka with club soda or soda water is low in calories and as long as it fits into your calorie goals it doesn't matter.

Some people have the problem of over eating when they drink and they are usually the ones that say alcohol inhibits weight loss. If your calories are balanced out over the week then you should be fine. Enjoy your summer!

This exactly. I like to enjoy a glass or two of wine now and then, but when I do, I usually find myself reaching for some nibbles as well. It's all about budgeting those calories to make it fit and not overindulging in other treats! I usually have a glass or two of wine a week and have continued to gradually lose weight.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    And as the wise @vismal has said many times, as long as alcohol fits your calories, you're fine; HOWEVER, drinking a bit too much alcohol tends to result in poor decision-making, i.e., eating Taco Bell at 2 a.m. or having another slice of pizza. Just be mindful and plan ahead as much as possible.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I definitely need to check now and see how much vodka I have been measuring in my drinks when I make them - I might be under calculating the calories! Will definitely keep all this in mind, especially when I am going out!
  • kportmanshark
    kportmanshark Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have done some experimenting with drinking and weight loss. It for sure slows you down. Alcohol is a poison and your body will stop processing everything else until it deals with the alcohol, and that's a bigger problem than just the empty calories. I still have a beer once or twice a week but I count it as double calories.

I'd say if you have a reasonable drink two nights a week you're alright, but if you want to drink more then just be honest with yourself that you want the alcohol more than you want the weight loss. It's all about goals.

A real glass of wine is like 250kcal (technically a serving of 6oz is 140kcal or something but no one pours that). If you have four glasses of wine every week that's 1000kcal per week. That's 4000kcal per week or over a pound in lost progress. Add on top of that it will stop your body from processing the food you eat with it efficiency and cause extra fat gain there, and it will even equate to more. For sure keep it in moderation.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I have successfully continued my drinking habit while losing weight and maintaining my weight for almost a year and a half.
    I find its easier to lose weight when I don't drink, but I would rather drink and lose weight slowly, than to lose weight fast And probably end up prison due to a hostel situation caused from high stress from not drinking.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I have done some experimenting with drinking and weight loss. It for sure slows you down. Alcohol is a poison and your body will stop processing everything else until it deals with the alcohol, and that's a bigger problem than just the empty calories. I still have a beer once or twice a week but I count it as double calories.

I'd say if you have a reasonable drink two nights a week you're alright, but if you want to drink more then just be honest with yourself that you want the alcohol more than you want the weight loss. It's all about goals.

A real glass of wine is like 250kcal (technically a serving of 6oz is 140kcal or something but no one pours that). If you have four glasses of wine every week that's 1000kcal per week. That's 4000kcal per week or over a pound in lost progress. Add on top of that it will stop your body from processing the food you eat with it efficiency and cause extra fat gain there, and it will even equate to more. For sure keep it in moderation.
    Alcohol doesn't "for sure slow you down". While it is true that when alcohol is present in the body it will be prioritized and fat oxidation will cease, once the alcohol is burned off, the body will resume burning fat as normal. For this reason, if you account for the calories in alcohol fat loss is not affected. If you typically eat 2000 calories a day and decide to have 300 calories worth of alcohol, you are only slowed down if you do not reduce food intake to compensate. CICO still applies. Alcohol does not change anything.

In your example you state that 4 250 calorie glasses of wine a week equate to over a pound of lost progress in a month. This is only true if you add those glasses in above your normal intake. If you reduce intake to compensate for the calories in the wine then no progress is lost. I agree with those who state that drinking alcohol can lower inhibitions and lead to making poor food choices and that can indeed destroy one's deficit, but the alcohol itself does not prevent or even reduce overall fat loss if calories are accounted for.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2-3 vodkas twice a week won't be a problem.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i find that after i've been on a bit of a drinking binge that i am down on the scales for the next day (sometimes 2 pounds) but i think that is just because i'm the odd duck that doesn't like food when i've been drinking. i'm back to normal or a pound up after that depending on how badly i give in to hangover cravings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Alcohol doesn't "for sure slow you down". While it is true that when alcohol is present in the body it will be prioritized and fat oxidation will cease, once the alcohol is burned off, the body will resume burning fat as normal. For this reason, if you account for the calories in alcohol fat loss is not affected. If you typically eat 2000 calories a day and decide to have 300 calories worth of alcohol, you are only slowed down if you do not reduce food intake to compensate. CICO still applies. Alcohol does not change anything.

In your example you state that 4 250 calorie glasses of wine a week equate to over a pound of lost progress in a month. This is only true if you add those glasses in above your normal intake. If you reduce intake to compensate for the calories in the wine then no progress is lost. I agree with those who state that drinking alcohol can lower inhibitions and lead to making poor food choices and that can indeed destroy one's deficit, but the alcohol itself does not prevent or even reduce overall fat loss if calories are accounted for.

@vismal I have a legit question and wondering if you or anyone else has experienced this. I stated in my previous post that I have no problem cutting at all while continuing to enjoy my drinks...pretty much done cutting my winter weight at this point...but that is until I hit about 12% BF which just generally seems to be my happy place and where I typically maintain...the only time outside of being in my 20s that I've been able to get down to 10% is when I substantially decrease my alcohol despite hitting on my calories...when I'm not drinking I make up for it with food. It's just something interesting I've observed over the past few years of doing this and just wondering. I'm hitting the beach for vacation soon and thought I'd roll in around 10% but this not drinking thing is kind of boring.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Were you wearing a lab coat while you did your science? :smile: Single person untested, unmonitored tests are not proof of anything except what happened to you. Alcohol isn't a poison, it doesn't stop processing anything in your body. True over consumption can cause issues, but that's not the case in this instance. I drank more last week than I have in the better part of a year and I still lost weight (amusingly more than I would have thought too).

If I'm drinking at home I'll measure my alcohol, so please don't say "no one pours that" just because you don't know anyone who does, because I would lay down money (shiny nickel here people) I'm not the only one who does.

OP - You got the idea already :wink: Measure your alcohol to ensure what you're actually consuming, or if you don't feel the need, just skip it altogether if you want.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A real glass of wine is like 250kcal (technically a serving of 6oz is 140kcal or something but no one pours that).

Actually, I pour that because I measure it.
    I want the wine AND the weight loss.
    Goals.