Who would.....

Options
2»

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Tam have you tried to go on any shows like The Doctors or Oprah or anything? I think it would be great to have a show about eating a healthy amount of calories and losing normal amounts of weight. Biggest Loser is motivational, but still unrealistic and I don't think it promotes the healthiest of values (no offense to BL fans :smile:).
    Hey, I have emailed both Oprah and The Doctors and recently The Joy Fit Club from The Today Show. I haven't heard back. I imagine they get a ton of emails. Who knows.

I hope someone will be interested! lol!

I could totally see you in The Joy Fit Club!

Would love to see someone on there that definitely did it the RIGHT way! They usually have people that lose in pretty healthy ways, but ya know... MFP is da bomb! :laugh:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I would buy it tam!!! :heart:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I can't think of a person on this site who wouldn't feel it an honor to buy this book Tam! Keep writing and let us know when we can get a copy. As for Oprah, good luck! Fingers crossed you will hear something back. Thank you for being such an inspiration.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Me Me me!!!! I definitely would!:bigsmile:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Would buy it, read it and frame the thing! lol
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Totally would be on my shelf. You just prove that the old fashioned way with no gimmicks truly works AND keep it off!!!!!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Has anyone told you, you should submit your story to the Today show for that Joy Bauer segment where women lose more than 100lbs?

It would be pretty sweet to see you on there!!

edit// I totally didn't read the first posts hah! You beat me to it!! :tongue:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    Buy my book???

I am slowly starting to write. About my journey.

Just wondering if anyone on here would buy it?? :laugh:
    I love books don't you remember, they come in so handy
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring, Tami. Now for the but... and you probably are well aware of this...

To be a normal person (i.e. not a celebrity) losing weight in a healthy way is not very marketable... There needs to be something "NEW!" to get the attention of a big player in publishing: A story that goes beyond counting calories, something that gets under the skin of the reader - probably by being deeply personal, the kind of thing that would make Oprah swoon, and make her say, "this is different!"

Possible suggestions:
    1 - Develop a story about your husband and your son, and how you overcame unique challenges
    2 - Develop a story about the community of support you had on MFP - certainly a whole cast of characters has emerged, from Ali to that couple who you and Ali sort of set up who are now engaged. Even as a complete outsider, I've been able to observe some of this.
    3 - Develop some other story - the key point is you need to make yourself look different, not "normal."

I haven't been a "character" in your weight loss story, but certainly there are many people who have been part of your weight loss story, and whom you have inspired, too. These are the "characters" who would make your book marketable.

I hope that you find these comments constructive... Of course, what you do is completely up to you. But it sounds like you are thinking "big" about this book, and whether your fellow members on MFP would buy it is not a good indicator of whether you'd get a good book deal.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I would crush.gif

Do I get a personalized autograph? :bigsmile:

:laugh: :smooched:
  • kellch
    Options
    Ya know.......you've lost ME....plus some......I weigh 132lbs. Sooooooooo you have lost me plus 2 lbs!!! That is just CRAZY!!!! AWESOME!!!! speedmetal.gif

You've always been good with wording things. I think you would do well. I agree with making sure you add a little bit to the story. Life struggles, insecurities, problems you went through (physically, emotionally, mentally), challenges, inspirations, hopes, dreams, determination, and so on. Include your family at MFP and the support you got...the fun you had...*hint hint nudge nudge* all the cool people you met *cough cough* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: J/K. Not sure they'd find the smilie addict all that interesting :tongue: But you get the point. Include the stories along your journey and the things you used for support, friends you met along the way, and how they helped you on your journey, and so on. Make sure you make it different not just....watch your calories, exercise, blahblah1.gif, blahblah1.gif, blahblah1.gif. And I totally think you could do that. I think you would do an amazing job. Like I said you've always been good with words and making things interesting. Good luck :smooched: :flowerforyou:

Either way......I want one :bigsmile: :smooched:
  • kellch
    Options
    Maybe you could call it "Baguette, Anyone? "

{giggle}
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Internet's been down for awhile so I'm trying to catch up on the posts and just saw ths one. I'd buy your book. :smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring, Tami. Now for the but... and you probably are well aware of this...

To be a normal person (i.e. not a celebrity) losing weight in a healthy way is not very marketable... There needs to be something "NEW!" to get the attention of a big player in publishing: A story that goes beyond counting calories, something that gets under the skin of the reader - probably by being deeply personal, the kind of thing that would make Oprah swoon, and make her say, "this is different!"

Possible suggestions:
    1 - Develop a story about your husband and your son, and how you overcame unique challenges
    2 - Develop a story about the community of support you had on MFP - certainly a whole cast of characters has emerged, from Ali to that couple who you and Ali sort of set up who are now engaged. Even as a complete outsider, I've been able to observe some of this.
    3 - Develop some other story - the key point is you need to make yourself look different, not "normal."

I haven't been a "character" in your weight loss story, but certainly there are many people who have been part of your weight loss story, and whom you have inspired, too. These are the "characters" who would make your book marketable.

I hope that you find these comments constructive... Of course, what you do is completely up to you. But it sounds like you are thinking "big" about this book, and whether your fellow members on MFP would buy it is not a good indicator of whether you'd get a good book deal.

Interesting perspective-- I'm not Tam, but I find them constructive, for what that's worth.

Tam, I'd love to some day learn that you'd been on the Joy Fit club. I have NO time, none, zip, zero, zilch to watch television, and have never in my life sat through a Today show-- BUT, it was on in the doctor's office last June while I was waiting for my son's appointment.

"Cathy" from Ohio, I'll never forget her face, was on the Joy Fit club because of her 150 lb weight loss. It was that day I was shamed and my life changed. If she can, why can't I? I only have to lose 50. Shame on me. And I'm 30 pounds closer to goal.

While you may not be able to financially profit, as detailed above unless you can find a real angle to sell, your inspiration here, as with Cathy from Ohio on the Joy Fit club, can't be measured. The example of "just do it" is so necessary-- no drugs, no gimmicks, no easy route-- just good old fashioned, blood, sweat and tears.

Since you're not Oprah or Carnie Wilson or Kirstie Alley-- Valerie Bertinelli, Marie Osmond, blah, blah, blah-- "the world" may not care that you lost so much, nor how you did it. But, here, in our own little corner of the world, your example is beyond inspiring-- whatever that word may be that would describe it-- and much appreciated.
  • PolarQueen
    Options
    Hey have you tried get your local newspapers and TV channels? Maybe if you get a local story under your belt they may look a little harder. If they did their stories then maybe you might have a better chance. Good luck. I am glad that there are people out there like you that is willing to help others with your experience and knowledge. Good luck. I would def. by the book.
    Again good luck. Start at home and let it grow. You can do it.
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    make sure you mention the orginal gutter gang members!!!

hahah
    i miss out gutter gang days....:sad:
    i was such a gangsta :blushing: