Compliment or Criticism...?

Options
mrs_madison_keane
mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
edited May 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Does anyone else get the comment, "You're not still trying to lose weight... are you?!" This super confusing comment usually comes up after they've just said something along the lines of "You look great!," and then they follow it up with such an awkward statement like that. I just don't understand... Is this supposed to be a compliment? Because it sort of feels backhanded to me. Oh and side-note.... When did my weight loss become a comfortable subject for someone else to comment on at all?

I get it... I lost 65ish pounds last year, so people are bound to notice. But is a comment like that supposed to make me feel good about myself...? Because it just makes me feel self-conscious.

Anyone else feel this way...? Anyone have thoughts on a good response besides nervous awkward laughter...?

Replies

• nicolasandrea
    nicolasandrea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been getting that a lot too. Although I am smaller, I feel stronger and have more energy so I simply briefly explain that. In the end, as long you're healthy, there's really nothing more they can tell you.
  • MellissaSaucedo
    MellissaSaucedo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think they're just trying to say that you look good at your current weight and they'd be concerned that you don't recognize that if you are still trying to loose. Take it as a compliment and a gesture of concern for your well-being.
  • Gailcannan
    Gailcannan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try and remain transparent, and respond with, "you haven't changed one bit, including your sarcasm!" But if you know me you will realise that I am blunt and to the point sometimes :D
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the comment, "You're not still trying to lose weight... are you?!" This super confusing comment usually comes up after they've just said something along the lines of "You look great!," and then they follow it up with such an awkward statement like that. I just don't understand... Is this supposed to be a compliment? Because it sort of feels backhanded to me. Oh and side-note.... When did my weight loss become a comfortable subject for someone else to comment on at all?

I get it... I lost 65ish pounds last year, so people are bound to notice. But is a comment like that supposed to make me feel good about myself...? Because it just makes me feel self-conscious.

Anyone else feel this way...? Anyone have thoughts on a good response besides nervous awkward laughter...?

Best response: No I'm shooting for my birth weight.

LOL! No I'm shooting for my birth weight. Oh am I gonna use that one...
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Never be afraid to tell people where to stick their opinions.