Weight Watchers or CC

Options
honeybee739
honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
Can anyone that has tried both or is currently doing the smart points weight watchers plan please tell me the pros and cons of each? Why do you prefer weight watchers vs calorie counting or vice versa?

I'm stuck in deciding which path to take. I cycle between weight watchers, calorie counting or low carb. I dont ever make a decision and stick to it, give it time to work. I've tried low carb and had the most success as far as weight loss went, but as soon as I went "off" the weight came back with a vengeance. I know I need a lifestyle and not a fix. I've heard that the new ww program is basically low carb.

Please help with your input. Any insight appreciated.

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    I prefer calorie counting because that way I can eat whatever I want as long as I am under for the day. It seems easier for me.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is basically simplified calorie counting anyway, isn't it?

• honeybee739
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

It goes into more than just calories. Focuses more on nutrients. So the healthier the food, the less point value. They recently changed how they tabulate the point value of a food. For example, calories and sugar are now taken into account to get the overall point value. Foods higher in protein but low in sugar are low in points.

One good point I read was that calorie counting never changes. But the weight watchers program does. But pros of ww is that some people say they are more inclined to eat their fruits and veggies on ww because most are "0" points where as with cc you can eat anything you want as long as with in calorie range.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I did WW about three years ago. I really think it is a personal preference. I prefer CC because its free and calories are displayed on pretty much all foods and WW points aren't. I will say, though, that my mother lost over 100 lbs with WW. It made it easier for her! I also liked the 0 point fruits and veggies rule.
  • lohlgren
    lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What works is what you are willing to stick with. They're all good programs. You need to stay on one long enough to really understand how to eat that supports your long term goals. Atkins helped me get away from eating massive amounts of starches for a 40 lb loss. The next 30 were with WW and taught me how to eyeball portions and be able to eat any food as long as I stayed within my points. I could track on a piece of paper without much thought and did for over 10 years. WW is great for ones needing more than 15 lbs to lose. But I struggled with maintenance eventually. It's not 'fine tuned' enough and had me under eating according to MFP. MFP is transparent, I know the formulas, tweak the calories to fit my needs. My 5 lb goal turned into 14 lb loss. And it was so easy because....wait for it....I stuck with it. I am slowly transitioning into maintenance and have all the information at hand on how to do it. So, OP, pick a path, they all lead to the same place, but not if you keep going back to the trailhead. (And personally, I recommend MFP-It rocks)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Lost weight now with both. I am here on MFP and counting calories because I believe I can maintain it long term. It's free, it's portable, and I can have as much or as little contact with others losing weight when ever I want, even in the middle of the night. There's always advice, support out there if I need it and reading success stories keeps me going... As lohlgren stated, "what works is what you are willing to stick with."
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't know what CC is. I do Weight Watchers and have off and on for years. When I stick to plan I always lose. I've lost 25 lbs since the first of February this year. It started slowing down once I started on this site so I mainly stick to tracking my points on WW. Not everything works the same for everyone though. Maybe you could try each of them one at a time and see which one you like better.
  • honeybee739
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I don't know what CC is. I do Weight Watchers and have off and on for years. When I stick to plan I always lose. I've lost 25 lbs since the first of February this year. It started slowing down once I started on this site so I mainly stick to tracking my points on WW. Not everything works the same for everyone though. Maybe you could try each of them one at a time and see which one you like better.

Cc is calorie counting :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger thing is just to pick something and stick with it.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

It goes into more than just calories. Focuses more on nutrients. So the healthier the food, the less point value. They recently changed how they tabulate the point value of a food. For example, calories and sugar are now taken into account to get the overall point value. Foods higher in protein but low in sugar are low in points.

One good point I read was that calorie counting never changes. But the weight watchers program does. But pros of ww is that some people say they are more inclined to eat their fruits and veggies on ww because most are "0" points where as with cc you can eat anything you want as long as with in calorie range.

I think you'd get a similar effect to WW by tracking your macros as well as calories on here. To meet your macro goals, you'll generally pick nutritionally dense items. Here's a detailed explanation: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

You can always try calorie counting to start since it's free. If you don't feel like you can stick with it or you're not seeing results after a couple of months, then think about investing in a plan like WW.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is free...

Also, low carb does not negate calories...
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I did WW and am now doing CC. For me, it was a good journey. I'm not doing CC now because WW didn't work. I got a lot of value out of WW and quit when I no longer was getting value. What I like about WW is that their points are not just 40 calories per point. There's a secret formula based on macros that determines the point values. So 200 calories of chicken will be fewer points than 200 calories of chocolate. I saw both my fiance and I start to make better choices because in the example above, maybe the chicken was 4 points and the chocolate was 5. We often picked the chicken because it left more points at the end of the day.

Also, fruit and veggies are 'free.' They basically budget them in for you and then don't penalize you for eating them. Again, encouraging you to make better trade offs. If you were eating so many fruits and veggies that it impacted you're weight loss, they'd talk to you to figure out that you're eating 6 bananas a day and talk you about cutting down.

We adjusted our diet and I wasn't getting any value out of WW, so I switched to CC. It's really the same thing at the end of the day. Your body doesn't know what a 'point' is, but I found it helped nudge us towards healthier choices.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb and even after the weight has come off to where I want it I most likely will stick with low carb as a way of life.At the End of the day it is about finding what works for you and making healthy choices. Helathy choices and eating is different for each person. Weight loss is not one diet fits all
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm doing MPG because WW is not in the budget right now and NOT is very similar. I was very successful on WW. I am a lifetime member, meaning I got to my goal weight and kept it off for six weeks. I actually kept it off for three years. When it crept back on I would head back to the meetings. Lost 20 - 30 pounds each time.

MFP is very similar. Hoping to have the same success with MPG.