Negative comments

Options
ari7l
ari7l Posts: 38 Member
Im 5'4 and I weigh 52KG, i lost weight the healthy way and do not feel like i look skinny, yet people keep saying i look like i smoke ( i dont smoke) and they say i look sick n horrible. It really makes me feel bad. First they call you fat, then they call u a druggie if u lose it

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Ignore them.

My aunt has been trying to convince the rest of my family I'm anorexic and too thin since I was around 180 lbs (5'4.5" here). Even my mom rolls here eyes at this.

No my mom has recently told me I don't need to lose anymore weight. I know she is saying it more out of concern then anything. She thinks I look great were I'm at (trend weight 121.7 lbs) and thinks that losing any more might risk the muscle mass I have.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree it is about how you feel about you. Sometimes it takes a while for people to adjust to your new appearance--a new normal. If they met you for the first time they probably wouldn't say anything. Having said all that, consider what those who know you best say. It is possible that you are too thin--how many of us are blinded by our own biases when we look in the mirror? Honest feedback from someone who loves you should not be dismissed out of hand. Perhaps, see a physician and get a professional, objective assessment of your current "state".
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    <3 It is none of their business so you do not even have to respond. The heck with them.
  • mrsdavis1014
    mrsdavis1014 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Take pride in your weight loss just make sure that it is healthy weight loss. I'm not sure but I think u should be weighing more with your height. Just check it out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You are at a low weight for your height so its likely those commenting are worried for your health....
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    There's an easy fix to your issue.

Stop hanging around with utter fools...
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    When they ask if you smoke, just deliberately misunderstand and say you think you look smoking since you lost the weight too. The more obnoxious they get the dumber you get, until they get frustrated and quit.
    Or the head tilt and say "I don't understand, can you please repeat". If you say that enough they will get the point. Or in my case, say "Thank You". That always throw people off, they are really trying to insult you on the low.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ask them what a smoker looks like. I know lots of fat, rosy cheeked smokers -- high blood pressure makes their faces red.

I don't believe in examining ourselves in the mirror for flabby bits or whatever other flaws we might find. Anyone who has lost considerable weight will have a little loose skin here and there, and since I have a naturally thin face it can look a little haggard after weight loss. Pfft. If I know that number on the scale is what's best for me, then I just focus on that and ignore everything else.

We'll never be perfect enough for the people who need to criticize others so they can feel better about themselves, and spare me from the fitness "experts," who think they have a work-out routine that will magically turn me into a mesomorph. I could lift weights three hours a day and still not have defined muscles.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How much weight did you lose? Was it too fast and had people concerned something might be wrong? Are people around you very overweight? Your weight sounds perfect for your height.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is very common and it happens to most of us at some point. Part of it is that people just aren't used to seeing the new you and it's hard to reconcile the old/new. But a lot of times it's jealousy/insecurity on the part of the commenter. Don't let them get you down and realize it's about their own issues, and not really about you .
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Associate with higher quality people, OP.

^^This.

Really, what kind of person says such things?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ari7l wrote: »
    Im 5'4 and I weigh 52KG, i lost weight the healthy way and do not feel like i look skinny, yet people keep saying i look like i smoke ( i dont smoke) and they say i look sick n horrible. It really makes me feel bad. First they call you fat, then they call u a druggie if u lose it

Welcome to the weight loss club. I went from being called fat all my life, laughed at in the gym when I first started going, to being told I looked like my head was to big for my body, that I looked unhealthy. I started doing bulk and cut cycles, been doing this for 4 years now. People tell me now that I look muscular but I still see a fat guy when I look in the mirror everyday. IDK if this will ever change... I kind of hope it does one day.

Anyways tell them to *kitten* off, I had someone comment at work and just informed them how inappropriate it is to comment on someones weight and that they should be more professional in the work environment.

Get ready that if you decide to do bulk and cutting cycles, while bulking (cause no one gets it!) people will ask you why you stopped working out, then when you cut people ask you if you take steroids cause you've added muscle.... it never ends. Just keep plugging away at your goals