Keto, WW Simply Filling or Counting Calories?

Options
I am feeling overwhelmed. I have 50 pounds to lose and am not sure how to go about it.
I lost 25 lbs on keto last year, had horrible side effects and gained it back plus 5-10 lbs. I know it works though. I got results quickly, but doubt it is maintainable long term.
There is so much information out there I am not sure what to do!
What did you do? What works for you or what would you recommend? Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Something that is maintainable that you can do for the rest of your life. Enter your stats into MFP and eat what you like, just less than what you do now. I thought keto was hard too. I love carbs, I just eat less of them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answer but just wanted to say, I feel ya. I'm in the same boat, with the exact same question, but with 80 lbs to lose.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    What queenliz said. :)
    I'm a sample of one, so not statistically valid. But after decades of problems controlling my weight, what did it for me, first, was a doctor's order to replace all white carbs with whole grains. For some reason, that didn't feel like dieting, even though it meant an end to snacking on cookies, cakes and candy. I also paid attention to portion sizes - about 6-8 oz of protein a day, about 2-3 servings of carb (slices of bread, halfcups of rice, for instance), 1-2 Tbs fat, lots veg, 2-3 servings fruit. I wasn't obsessive about it, but paid it some attention.
    i lost about 50 pounds over ... prolly 18 months ... without feeling diet-y. Then I plateaued and knew I'd have to really work to shed the last 20 pounds. That brought me here. Having the app on the smartphone and the webpage on the computer is so much easier than writing everything down in a notebook and looking up the calorie counts!

Good luck, and good logging!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    If you had horrible side effects on keto and don't find it sustainable for you, I'd certainly try something different this time. It worked well for me (I had a lot of unexpected benefits along with weight loss) but it's not for everyone.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    ........had horrible side effects and gained it back plus 5-10 lbs. I know it works though. ......

If you had that response - why would you say it works?

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Count calories! It works, its free and 100% reliable. Not much else to say but give it a try at least, you created an account so try it for a month! Got nothing to loose at this point but weight!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though keto is not a good way for you to go, clearly it didn't "work" if you felt bad and gained most of the weight back anyway. Why would you even consider doing that again?

My strategy, this time round, is to eat normally, but with a leaning towards food that gives me a fair bit of nutrition for my calories (eg fruit, veggies, whole grains, fish, chicken, low fat dairy etc), and less of the treat kind of stuff that I enjoy, but that doesn't give me much in the way of nutrition (cupcakes, chocolate, lollies etc).

I don't have any set goal weight, or a set time frame, and I have my calories set to a small deficit (0.25kg/week).
    I eat back some or all of my exercise calories (as calculated by my Apple watch, I don't add exercise separately).
    Now and again (probably at least once a week) I go over my calories, though I try to keep it fairly close unless it's a special occasion, in which case I don't mind how much I go over.
    Sometimes I eat less that my calorie goal and that's OK too - as I have a small deficit, I'm not bothered by making that a bit larger.

This is working well for me so far - 11 weeks in and I am losing weight a little faster that I thought - averaging almost 2kg (4.4 pounds) a month. I just hit the 5kg-lost mark today, hooray!).

Basically, I'm eating a variety of regular food, not cutting anything out, but just being aware of how often and how much when I'm eating nutritious stuff.
    I have no interest in cutting out whole food groups, in demonising any particular food or macro, or in adding extra-concentrated powders or potions or obsessing over meeting specific macro goals.

That's what works for me.
    My recommendation is that you think about what works for you - not "works" in the sense that you dropped a lot of weight quickly, felt like crap and gained it all back again, but what makes you feel good, helps you look and feel healthier, and what you can maintain for the long term.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've done very well on keto (I'm kind of curious how well you were keeping up your electrolytes when you did it if you felt sick all the time) but if you found it didn't work for you and you were following keto correctly then please spare yourself discomfort and frustration and try something else and see if that works better :)

I have honestly not heard good things from friends about the new WW points system (its more restrictive I guess?) and its pretty expensive for what it is imo. Have you tried straight CICO? There seem to be a LOT of people who have done well with CICO IIFYM on this site who could probably help you out!

Good luck finding whatever will be best for you in the long run!
  • skinnyutahgurl
    skinnyutahgurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    ........had horrible side effects and gained it back plus 5-10 lbs. I know it works though. ......

By it worked, I mean that the first time in many many years I lost weight and quickly. I was never hungry, my head was clearer, I had better energy and my stomach issues disappeared. On the downside I had rapid heartbeats, hair loss, insomnia and a skin rash everywhere. My thoughts were if I were to do keto again I would allow more than 20 grams of carbs a day to see if it would lessen the side effects.

In my mind, I don't think it's sustainable for me. However, I don't really know what else to do. That is why I asked here. Thanks.
  • kuldeepj
    kuldeepj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get the Body for Life book. Easy to follow portion control.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »

By it worked, I mean that the first time in many many years I lost weight and quickly. I was never hungry, my head was clearer, I had better energy and my stomach issues disappeared. On the downside I had rapid heartbeats, hair loss, insomnia and a skin rash everywhere. My thoughts were if I were to do keto again I would allow more than 20 grams of carbs a day to see if it would lessen the side effects.

In my mind, I don't think it's sustainable for me. However, I don't really know what else to do. That is why I asked here. Thanks.

It really sounds like your electrolytes were out of whack (keto flu) and you needed sodium and magnesium supplementation (potassium supplementation is always best done under the supervision of a physician). Lots of people on keto do. Dropping your carbs lower would be better ketosis-wise but your symptoms are essentially all side effects of not replenishing your electrolytes correctly and wouldn't be helped by lower carb intake. There is a pinned post on the subject that could be very helpful in the Low Carb Daily group if you wanted to revisit keto!
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options

What was your calorie intake? I'm curious, because I made myself ill in ketosis because it's so appetite suppressing, I was barely getting 1000 calories a day, with 20 grams of carbs, and I was lifting weights and swimming (and I'm 5'11")...after nine weeks I was so ill I couldn't exercise for a couple weeks. Then I went up to 1500 calories, with 30 grams of carbs--I still work at getting it all in--but I am fine, back to lots of energy and working out.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just log your food and eat in a deficit. To me saying a way of eating or a particular diet "worked" when you just gained the weight back doesn't really make sense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Keto had horrible side effects for me too. I believe what is more sustainable (for me at least) is basically putting myself in a thin person's shoes. Try to train myself to think like a thin person while counting calories in the process. Most naturally thin people don't do keto or weight watcher or follow any particular dietary rules. They eat everything they like and feel like eating, but in smaller portions. They may eat something in large portions but they don't do it often, and often compensate for that but not eating a lot during other times. They are basically naturally self-regulating their calories. They have no problem leaving something on their plate if they are full. Have no problem saying no to a piece of chocolate if you don't feel like it...etc. Many of them are also naturally active.

I'm just trying to slowly retrain my brain to normalize my food portions and "calls to eat" without placing certain food restrictions. Tracking calories helps me stay within an acceptable calorie intake because I don't trust how my brain perceives portions and calories yet.