Overcoming Food Addiction

Options
I am someone who suffers from food addiction. First step of the process is admitting the problem. I'm sure there are hundreds of people here on myfitnesspal who have overcome food addiction. I need as much help as I can get! Please inform me of what has helped you overcome this awful addiction.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How can you be addicted to food? I get that there are foods that are difficult to moderate intake of (I have that problem myself), but we need food to live.
  • cesser1
    cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How can you be addicted to food? I get that there are foods that are difficult to moderate intake of (I have that problem myself), but we need food to live.

And that is what makes it so difficult. You cannot avoid it. You can be addicted to anything, even things like brushing teeth.

I have no experience with this, but I would assume planning and logging the entire day in advance, including snacks, might help. Then preportion and only focus on that pile of food that is all yours? Much success to you.
  • amber76bailey
    amber76bailey Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is a wonderful resource for us all with lots of support but food addiction is very complex and not alot of people understand it or even know they are an addict themselves. I know there are forums for food addiction I would Google that and look for that specifically.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    MattMacedo wrote: »
    I am someone who suffers from food addiction. First step of the process is admitting the problem. I'm sure there are hundreds of people here on myfitnesspal who have overcome food addiction. I need as much help as I can get! Please inform me of what has helped you overcome this awful addiction.
    I'm not sure that many people would actually admit to that :smiley: but
    I understand where your coming from I would consider my self a food addict as well , for me it's always been an obsessive craving for 1 particular food usually at a time, where I can never seem to get enough of & that may last for months & just as suddenly move to something else. As a personal opinion I think some people have more of addictive personalities than others Re: gambling smoking drugs drinking etc & food , not to use this as an excuse but for me I definitely obsess with food - still do but am trying to do it clean so to speak , so i'm doing what cesser1 suggested I prepare as much in advance as possible, I have been weighing logging & prelogging as well . I also cleaned out my cupboards totally 12 weeks ago for a fresh start.Most of my relatives believe that it is sugar that has caused so much cravings and spiraling obesity in our cultures , so i am trying to cut back on processed foods - eg go clean but also a bit slowly so not to feel starved as such . I'd have a look around the different threads and see if there is a group for you to join into , sometimes having others for support can make all the difference in your day :smile:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, how did you conclude this? What are your symptoms?

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

It's a proven fact we need sex to live but there are still sex addiction problems all over the world. Sex addicts have a group called SSA there are also over eaters anonymous.

Um, nope.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

It's a proven fact we need sex to live but there are still sex addiction problems all over the world. Sex addicts have a group called SSA there are also over eaters anonymous.

No, not a proven fact....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714380/

That said, still an issue for people who feel like they are, wether or not there is a clinical diagnosis...
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

@MattMacedo I'll send you some info on this.
  • BubbyChunny
    BubbyChunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. Understanding that anything you binge on will NOT solve the issue you're trying to avoid, and 2. Having experiences to look forward to. When life seems hopeless and dull, food can quickly become the bright spot in it.
  • StephanieDL1
    StephanieDL1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a food addiction, it is perpetuated by an underlining mental disorder, trauma or it can be behavioural (i.e. eating when you're bored). It is important to know what your triggers are. Some people are stress eaters and will cope with stress by eating. I use to do that, now I do cardio - and it actually suppresses my hunger. Drink lots of water. Don't have tempting foods that are calorie dense around you. Talk to family and friends so they can encourage you to eat healthier. Also seek a counsellor possibly if you are truly struggling. However, don't let it define you. One study stated that some people use their food addiction as an excuse to overindulge.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am shocked by some of the responses. Where is the support? Food addition is a real problem for some people. For other people it is not. The first step is to admit the problem and you have people here saying they don't believe it's a problem. I haven't been on Fitnesspal for some time. I come back today and found this. Extremely discouraging.

Actually, for many people, understanding that food addiction is not the actual problem they are trying to solve, but many of the habitual/behavorial tendencies that @lemurcat12 do exist and are the root cause of the situation CAN be helpful. Some people suffer from binge eating disorder, which is a clinically diagnosed condition, and if OP has BED, then there are certainly techniques and steps he can follow to get help with that. Many people however come here thinking they are "food addicts" or addicted to one particular food or ingredient but not other foods or other foods that have that same ingredient in them. Understanding that they are not physically addicted to the food substance itself but that they can work on addressing the cravings, the triggers, the emotional aspect of why they over eat that food can be very empowering for many people.

OP I just read your profile and noticed your comment about being a filmmaker who recently made a documentary about a teenager overcoming heroin addiction. That sounds very powerful. I am intrigued, after your experience filming this movie, that you still use the phrase "food addiction" as many people who have been addicted to narcotics or other drugs, or who have had loved ones who have experienced drug addiction, are often reticent to use the label "food addict" as it seems to pale in comparison to what drug addicts go through. Thoughts?