Home workouts or Gym memberships

Options
13»

Replies

• kirstylouisesquire
    kirstylouisesquire Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out at home even tho I would like to try the gym but I don't have any confidence n really shy so that's why I work out at home :)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym (I have memberships to 2!) I don't have the space for home a home gym and if I did, the equipment I want is super expensive. I like the energy at the gym.
  • janekenney95
    janekenney95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love both. When I'm away at college I'll go to the gym there, but at home I'll take it to jogging outside, lifting weights, etc. I love home workouts the most because I prefer to do things on my own time, by myself. For people with social anxiety, home workouts can truly be a lifesaver as gyms can make those kinds of people very anxious (ie- myself).
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home. I have a few kettlebells, suspension straps and a pullup bar, which gives me plenty of options. Right now I am following a kettlebell program called Simple and Sinister, so I'm mostly focused on Kettlebell Swings and Turkish Get Ups, with 2-3 days of pushups/rows/negative pullups to balance it out.

Planning to get more kettlebells and a jump rope, and I think I'll be set.

I like home workouts because it limits my excuses. I can claim I don't have time to get to the gym, but it's hard to claim that when all I have to do is get out of bed and walk downstairs. Since I work and my wife stays home, I like to give our son breakfast and hang out with him in the morning, so I usually start my workouts after he's eaten, and I work out in the living room while he's watching TV. He likes to copy what I'm doing or "help" by cheering me on. My coworker even gave him his own teeny 5lb kettlebell so he could feel included. (He's not quite 3, so just holding the kettlebell for a few minutes is a big feat for him).
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. For one, I have kids, and I love the break I get from them. It's a bit of me time while they are entertained in the child care. Also, at home, it is easy to see other things I need to do and either out off my workout or stop early. At the gym I get to focus only on my workout without distractions. A gym is totally worth it for me.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. I have turned my basement into a gym. I have a treadmill, free weights, kettlebells, a cage/cable/Smith machine combo (which was a bear to put together but that is a separate issue), a set of Olympic plates, an enormous collection of DVDs, bands of all sorts, yoga mats, mini-trampoline, step benches for step aerobics, stability balls, etc., etc.

But, I don't like working out around other people. Plus I never have to share equipment or work in on some apparatus or other. And I have the money and dedicated space for all this stuff. It won't be the same for everyone.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Here's the great thing: there are so many gym and non-gym options for exercise. Each person needs to find what works for them as an individual. It's been interesting to read people's different reasons for their choice of workout locations.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    billutzman wrote: »
    I prefer working out at home doing beachbody dvds, or on my elliptical, or jogging outdoors.

I figure by the time I would get ready for the gym, find my keys, actually drive there, and start workout, I would be done at home. It is a timesaver st home. Plus in yrs past, the meat heads that think they rule the place hangout at equip and just mentally bother me. I went to a planet fitness once and was impressed with the fact the equipment seemed open and normal folks were there.

What are other folks reasons for preferring gym over home or vice versa?

I prefer the gym. I just don't have the discipline to work out at home. I have equipment, and occasionally I will get in an arm workout or abs....but there are too many other things I need to do at home so working out just doesn't get top priority there. But once I am at the gym, I am there. And I will stay as long as I can to get done as much as I can. Just a mental thing I guess.

Ditto. I work twice as hard at the gym. If I'm home, I'm tempted to quit early.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly quiet person in general so I prefer home. It's been said previously that getting ready for the gym is motivating and it's easy to stop at home. Although I agree with the latter, I also use that as motivation and pushing through that pause on my own, motivates me. All I have at home is a heavy bag, treadmill, dip machine (not sure why it's a "machine") a 35lb. dumbell and just received a pull up bar. I use the heavy bag for cardio and have hardly touched the treadmill since I went that route. The majority of what I do is body weight but I would be lying if I didn't say I would love weights for my legs. My leg strength sucks.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. I go early in the morning, so there's a small group of regulars who are all friendly. Even if I had the space for a rack and a bench at home, nobody would stop by and offer words of encouragement, or be available for a quick spot. I wouldn't be seeing the awesome things that other people are doing, which pushes me to keep going. I just enjoy the company of other meatheads.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I used to workout at a gym with friends but more and more I ended up there waiting for them & rushing through my workout when they didn't show. When I got serious about lifting I turned an extra bedroom into my weight room. Found a power cage, bench & weights & ive never looked back. It's easier for me to workout at home since I have a 4 yr old. I workout 5-6x/wk & the commute is like 60 seconds
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Home for me. I just get up, put my workout clothes on and press play on my laptop. Nobody in my way, no one using the equipment - I don't even have to brush my teeth. :lol:

Took me awhile to collect the weights I have, and at the moment I don't have the space for full barbells, but I get by.
  • soph268
    soph268 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like the gym, the atmosphere there helps keep me motivated plus I have an instructor who sets monthly goals with me and pushes me that little bit further... Members also get use of the spa too so after the gym and swimming I like to treat myself! Haha :)