Does maintaining weight get easier after a year?

Options
2»

Replies

• Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost 105lbs in 8 months kept it off for 2yrs then got depressed after my mother died and started binge eating. Now I gained 60 lbs back, which is depressing in it's self! But the losing was super easy when motives! Emotions are key for me. I have battled thru anorexia and bulimia since high school I am now 49 and still dealing with emotional eating. I love MFP I've used it 5years and always, always eat those exercise calories!!! Trust me your body needs them and you will lose weight faster!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I did not find losing 70 pounds particularly difficult. Nor is maintenance. I continue to track on MFP and keep on keeping on. I think the deciding factor is your mental outlook.

Like others have said: losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

I, after years of picking fat, decided to try normal weight for a while. Been maintaining for about 3 years. It's all in the attitude you bring to the effort.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight in my early 20s and kept it off for about 6 years, but it was a struggle the whole time.
    I lost a bunch of weight again about 3 years ago. I've maintained, but it's much worse in my 40s. I have Hashi's now, I'm older and get more frequent injuries from exercise that never used to bother me, etc.

Being fat is hard, being fit is hard, etc. is very true. Thinking about it the other way, there are fun things about working hard and being fit, and there are fun things about being relaxed and overweight. What's more fun? :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, choose ur difficulty and stick with it everyday, day in day out. I maintained for 5 years. It got more and more difficult. I chose to eat freely after those 5 years and gained the weight back plus some. I concluded I would rather be at a low weight and the difficulties of maintnance than have the health problems I began to have to face being overweight.
  • tmwonline
    tmwonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    really really appreciate everyone's responses. Good to know that many people are doing it successfully and just another thing to get used to. So happy to have found mfp :smile:
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    3+ years now in the process. I call it "process" because it is and always will be a process working through maintenance. As we age - and we all do, hopefully - things shift, change, health changes, hormones go haywire, and it is a constant endeavor to meet those changes and roll with the punches, so to speak. Weight may bounce back up a few pounds (or 10) and I know it is time to figure out what I'm doing different and make the changes. Things that did not bother me before, I have to work harder to meet. Easier? Yes, in a way. Because I can actually move more, breathe easier, bend over and tie my shoes, walk up the stairs without wheezing, and one of the biggest components of all this healthy eating and exercising stuff - I have not been sick with a cold or flu in the last 3 years -- well, there I went and jinxed it! I better get ready for a cold!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    NO! I've been on maintenance since spring of 2012. It takes ongoing mindfulness and practice.
  • OrionSlayer
    OrionSlayer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! The answers you received are very helpful for when I start maintenance. Seems like I will need to 1) Learn what level of eating/exercising will maintain my weight, 2) Find an effective way to monitor my weight to not allow it to cascade out of my goal weight, 3) Watch for potential eating triggers (ex. vacations, stressful events, injury), 4) Relax and enjoy life
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been maintaining for three years...I find it to be pretty easy. I have adopted a more healthful lifestyle overall than I had before...maintaining weight is pretty easy when you're maintaining a healthful lifestyle. I do, and enjoy doing the things that lean, healthy, and fit people do. I eat well and exercise regularly and monitor my weight.
    People have difficulty when they have the mindset of being "done" once they've reached this arbitrary number on the scale...then they go back to old habits and lack the understanding that they're not done and in fact, they've just reached the starting line of the true race...there has to be a new normal and that's where people fail miserably.

This is spot on! It is a lifestyle change. I've been maintaining for 20 months and it's all going well but, like @cwolfman13, I changed my lifestyle and I enjoy it. I don't feel like I'm going without or punishing myself, I feel more fit, comfortable and happier than I have for many years.

I'm very much in the 'It's as hard as you make it' camp with this.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    [quote="cwolfman13;36347688
    People have difficulty when they have the mindset of being "done" once they've reached this arbitrary number on the scale...then they go back to old habits and lack the understanding that they're not done and in fact, they've just reached the starting line of the true race...there has to be a new normal and that's where people fail miserably. [/quote]
    This is so true. You are not "done". In fact, when you begin the weight loss part, you are not even "beginning". You are on a journey and that journey takes you where you want to go and the path is the rest of your life. Maintenance and loss has been easy for me. 18 months now. Always a healthy eater and an exerciser, I fell down when it came to portion sizes. I ate way beyond what my body really needed. and didn't know it. Logging cals at MFP is what taught me a lot about how much I can eat and how to listen when I am full and when I am hungry. I can't remember the last time I was uncomfortably full. Once I realized how much healthier I became, life got easier. I lost 40 lbs, and that allowed me to get off my CPAP, lost my acid reflux problem, my numbers at my annual physical were all in normal ranges, among other things. I lost a father, a sister, and a brother at early ages - none of their medical issues were related - but it made me think carefully about maintaining a healthy weight because it really isn't about vanity - it's about living a long and full life. Yes, I wear a smaller size and yes, I am more fit and in shape, but above all, I look and feel younger and am on the path to a better life.

• WorldTravellerGirl
    WorldTravellerGirl Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well, the older you get and the more health problems you face the more resolve you need. Focus on eating healthy nutrient dense food and try not to be a stickler for a number on the scale or filling yourself with processed empty calories. Work on being strong and healthy.
  • dr_soda
    dr_soda Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would say that as your life and your interests change that maintaining can be a challenge. However, you'll also find that you have some built-in alarms and cues that let you know when you're starting to slip up. For example, once you hit maintenance you might go out and update your wardrobe. This new wardrobe will start feeling suspiciously tight if you go astray in your lifestyle for too long at a time, and this can often be your first clue that you need to get your priorities back in order.

It's never pleasant to start over from any point, be it 10 lbs or 100 lbs, but your body will thank you for all the hard work and effort you put into keeping it running in top shape.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say this too: Nothing magical happens after 365 days. It's an ongoing challenge.
  • tmwonline
    tmwonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say this too: Nothing magical happens after 365 days. It's an ongoing challenge.

makes total sense. Thanks all!