Diuretics - does anyone use

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried celery seed extract tablets a couple times during my tom, and they didn't seem to make one iota of difference :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Please don't do this. Even after 2-3 days of diruetics, your potassium could be depleted. Especially if you exercise and drink a decent amount of water to begin with. Consume less sodium and give it a few days. That should help.

I agree...a few days of bloat (if that's all it is) isn't worth what could happen as a result.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Low potassium is not fun. I had low potassium from a diuretic. I had heart palpitations, and a 22 mm kidney stone.

Also, you may be shooting yourself in the foot - taking a diuretic for bloating can cause low potassium. Having low potassium can cause bloating and stomach discomfort.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Taking a diuretic for weight loss or TOM is a BAD IDEA for all the reasons stated above. If it's needed for a medical reason, talk to your doctor.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do. Every morning. It's called coffee.
    Wouldn't do it any other way.
  • Shellymarie604
    Shellymarie604 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LOL at Katie
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have to take a diuretic as prescribed for a medical condition...it sucks...I'm always in the bathroom and have to drink tons of water to keep hydrated...I also have to keep an eye on and make sure I'm eating a lot of high potassium foods. I wouldn't personally do this to myself if I didn't have to...but that's just me...I'm just not that fond of hanging out in the bathroom all of the time.
  • Simplifi
    Simplifi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I recommend eating foods that are natural diuretics such as melons, asparagus etc. and drinking half your weight in ounces of water (i.e. 200lbs = 100 ounces of water) will help your body get rid of it naturally without the crappy side effects.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I take prescription water pills and the dr told me to make sure I have enough potassium as water pills effect that. I have regular blood work done to check it. So be careful. I would assume over the counter ones have the same effect.
  • dianeh47
    dianeh47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been prescribed a diuretic to go along with my high blood pressure medication. But for me, that means drinking excessive amounts of fluid, an electrolight drink like Gatorade after a 3 mile walk, and staying on top of my potassium. Don't just take a diuretic for weight loss, look at some of the options above and try them.