What to do with 99% Lean Ground Turkey

Options
2»

Replies

• Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe quite tasty, and you can add whatever veggies you enjoy in it. It's super easy and can be as spicy or not as you'd like.

Ground Turkey and Peppers

Olive oil
    1 chopped onion, including some chopped greens from scallions or green onions
    2 bell peppers (red or yellow preferred), chopped
    2 large celery stalks, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Kosher salt
    1 lb ground turkey
    1 teaspoon chipotle powder or chili powder (or to taste)
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro

1 Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and bell pepper and cook until onions and peppers are softened, a couple minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more.

2 Push the vegetables to the edge of one side of the pan and position that side of the pan so that it is off the burner, away from the heat. The empty part of the pan should be right over the burner. Add one or two more tablespoons of oil to coat the empty part of the pan. Put crumpled chunks of ground turkey in the pan, sprinkle with salt and chipotle or chili powder.
    3 Cook the turkey without stirring until it is browned on one side, then turn the pieces over to brown the other side. Once the turkey is just cooked through, stir in the onions and peppers, and sprinkle with more salt and chili powder to taste. Remove from heat. Stir in fresh chopped parsley or cilantro.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This meatloaf was really good! Can be made with chicken or turkey.

Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb ground chicken
    1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
    1 large egg white
    1 medium carrot
    1 small onion
    1⁄4 cup ketchup, BBQ sauce or salsa
    1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1⁄8 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Combine chicken and bread crumbs in large bowl.
    Set aside.
    Cut the carrot& onion into chunks and add to blender.
    Add the remaining 7 ingredients to the blender.
    Process in blender until carrot is very fine.
    Pour blender mixture over meat mixture.
    Mix very well using your hands.
    Form mixture into a loaf and place in lightly greased 9" X 13" pan.
    Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
    Remove foil& continue baking for 15-30 minutes.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Is there any way to cook lean ground turkey so it's juicy and tastes good?

I just posted my enchilada casserole recipe. You can substitute the ground turkey for the lean ground beef.

I have found using a bit of water in the skillet to help immensely with browning super lean ground turkey.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    This recipe taste so so good.. I used basmati rice though. Feel free to use any rice you had if you want to try this :smile:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/dirty-brown-rice-with-shrimp/
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is really good. I substitute almond cheese for mozzarella

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/cheesy-enchilada-turkey-stuffed-peppers
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm a goulash kinda' girl.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

@DaisyHamilton
    and you'll be sharing that goulash recipe with us? ;) please & thank you! :D
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I recently found and LOVE this stuffed bell pepper recipe! So good (I add a slice of provolone on top and fresh basil). They'll replace a lot of pasta meals (the only thing I did w/the turkey before).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/79805/stuffed-peppers-with-turkey-and-vegetables/
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Meatballs, tacos, burgers, chili. Asian letuce wrap with veggies.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Mix with ground beef and ground pork
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love these. I make them every week. I skip the blanching in boiling water part.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/taco-stuffed-zucchini-boats/comment-page-2/

joet8dn6c0cc.jpg

• emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Is there any way to cook lean ground turkey so it's juicy and tastes good?

I make stuffed peppers so I would bake the peppers and fry the mince with frylight and herbs and spices of your choice like chili cumin etc. Then pop the mince into the peppers possibly with some cheese (feta is fab? if you've the calories to spare. There's tonnes of recipes for this online.
    The other thing i do with my turkey mince is make turkey mince lettuce wraps. Another one with lots of recipes online but with mine i add line chilli mint coriander soy sauce sweet chilli peppers carrot and onion. I use the mfp asian beef lettuce wrap recipe but switch beef for turkey.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Daniel Plan has a recipe for Turkey herb burgers that are really good
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options

@DaisyHamilton
    and you'll be sharing that goulash recipe with us? ;) please & thank you! :D

It's really not fancy at all lol. I just brown up some meat and toss in whatever pasta I have, some seasonings, and usually a can of corn to all cook together. Very very basic on my end! @Hearts_2015
  • kfrog03
    kfrog03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This turkey sausage recipe is so good that I never plan on buying premade sausage again. I mix up a big batch and freeze smaller, uncooked potions to have on hand. Great for breakfast, but I tossed some in my lentil soup this week and loved it. I love a lot of flavor, so I reduce the 2lbs of turkey to 1 and cut back on the salt.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/77747/moms-turkey-sausage-patties/
  • amaraortega4
    amaraortega4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like putting some ground turkey in my eggs ( + avocado and salsa ) for breakfast. It's like crumbled sausage :) just season to taste. I usually do pepper and garlic salt.
    You can make "egg muffins", just add the pre-cooked turkey in to the egg/topping mixture before cooking. Spinach, diced onion, bell pepper, and ground turkey egg muffins. It's good food prep for the week.

I second the Green chili turkey burgers and turkey chili.

• trollerskates
    trollerskates Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Reach past it and get the 80 20 beef out
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Top part of a crust less pizza: olive oil, garlic, onions, mushrooms, green pepper, low fat ground turkey, some spaghetti sauce.