Craving salty foods

Options
Because of some meds I'm on, I'm always craving anything salty. I just ate 3 salty tortilla chips. Is there a way to get away from this craving with out giving up my meds?

Replies

• kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water first it could be a signal that your thirsty sometimes going for a walk can also help . I take a suppliment from Univera called level G it has helped me with not craveing sweets I do not know if it works with salt as well or not but could find out for you
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wish your diary was open, are you on a paleo type diet?
    Could it be your taste buds "slowing" from older age?
    Did you know that statins deplete magnesium?
    Found this on a website.
    Our bodies need calcium, magnesium, zinc and other minerals to keep our systems running smoothly. Many minerals have a salty flavor, so when you get the message to eat more salt, your body is trying to tell you to eat more minerals! You will keep craving salt until your mineral needs are met, which can often be accomplished with a quality multi vitamin and mineral.
  • DonnaSteward
    DonnaSteward Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on many meds for Diabetes, Heart, Thyroidism & etc. I'm 72 years old & things are starting to go down hill. Since I'm new here, can someone tell me how to open my diary?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I don't have a solution to get rid of the cravings altogether, but sometimes you can find foods that give you the salty fix without blowing your calories or nutritional goals. My go to salt fixes are dill pickle spears and Hormel turkey pepperoni. The turkey pep has a lot of sodium, but a serving is typically 17 pieces for 70 calories and I get protein and that feeling like I've been eating chips. The pickles are extremely low cal but again..sodium. Try doing the small fixes and watch your sodium for the rest of the day.
  • northcoastbeauty
    northcoastbeauty Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm on many meds for Diabetes, Heart, Thyroidism & etc. I'm 72 years old & things are starting to go down hill. Since I'm new here, can someone tell me how to open my diary?

Touch the 3 horizontal lines on the top left of this page

Then select settings

Then select diary

From there you can select "public" to have your diary open to others.

If by open you mean how do you access your diary: pick diary instead of settings.

Welcome
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    True story, I ate half a 16 oz bag of peanuts in the shell this morning for breakfast. That 2000 mg of sodium really hit the spot. And eating peanuts in the shell is so much more entertaining than eating them naked!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    Salted cucumber slices or pickles.