Cheese alternatives?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    This will sound strange, but have you ever whisked Sriracha and lemon juice together? I used to make that little blend and use it for lots of stuff, including salad dressings. Mostly when I was obsessively eating as little as possible, but it was very tasty.

I do a salad dressing/marinade of soy sauce, lime juice, sriracha, and a bit of fish sauce.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,400 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    Have you ever tried goat cheese? 1 oz is 80 calories. I love it on crackers, salads, eggs, etc.

Oh lord. I cannot stand goat cheese. It tastes foul to me. :s

Goat cheese tastes to me how goats smell. Just... No.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use laughing cow in my salads. Just break it up and toss it in. Makes the whole thing creamy for 35 calories.

That said, the nutritional content of a good cheese is great for a diet. Fat and protein. I tend just not to be able to have it around because I will get into the whole block at some point...as I did yesterday. And my deficit day turns into maintenance just like that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of fine graters that I use with very old very dry cheese. I put about a quarter the amount usually called for. Cheese is tasty because of the fat and salt content. Just portion with care.

Substitutes would be fatty salty. What is better than cheese? Nuts? Salted avocado? Olives? You may try the Brewers yeast to see if you can ignore the bitter undertones.
  • whitneyzelig
    whitneyzelig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. In your eggs, pasta, salad. Hemp hearts always satisfy my cheese craving too.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese is awesome!

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Another vote for goat cheese or blue cheese. I put about 20-30 grams in a salad with sliced strawberries and if calories allow, some walnuts, topped with a low fat vinaigrette. The most ballingest *kitten* ever!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Feta and goat cheese are low cal compared to other cheeses.

Otherwise, go for sharp - more flavor so you don't need as much.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    _tannyw wrote: »
    Cheese will always be my weakness! Especially cheddar - mainly because it adds so much flavour to salads, as I hate dressings and I'm allergic to nuts. I've tried substituting for low fat cheese spreads and cottage cheese, but I feel like i need to stop the addiction! any sugestions?

Er, why? About 30% of my diet is cheese and I lost 10lbs in 5 weeks without trying.

• imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've not read every response, so this may have been suggested, but what about nutritional yeast flakes? They're really yummy, taste just like cheese, have hardly any calories and are fortified with vit B12! You can even use them to make vegan cheese, though I've never tried. I love them in scrambled eggs and on pizza :)
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like feta cheese on my salad but there is So Much Sodium in it... I usually put a pepperocini on my salad instead. Wait... sodium....
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why not just count the calories in your cheese and enjoy it?
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 25grams of Apetina salad cheese (similar to feta cheese) to add to my salads. I will never give up cheese, just have it in smaller amounts.

This. Don't give up what you love.

• flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat the cheese. As long as you don't have a problem binging on it. Weigh it and work it into your calories.
    I eat cheese everyday.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Use cheese on your salad, just less of it or low fat style to save calories.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese almost every day, except I avoid processed and low fat cheese. I lose weight - no problem.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    All cheese is processed. You mean like Velveeta and American cheese product? I don't eat that either, not because it's processed, but because it's nothing like real cheese and IMO not worth the calories.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for cheese! I have tried some of the reduced fat cheeses and some are not bad. There are also lower calorie options like mozzarella and provolone that taste good. I like to have the laughing cow wedges (35 calories each) to spread on a wasa cracker or celery as well as baby bel rounds (50-70 calories each) and string cheese (60-80 calories each) for a snack. They are already portioned so it is easier to watch the amount.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So what I guessed you meant? Doesn't change the fact that ALL cheese is processed.