I've never done a spinning class before...

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm currently doing the C25K running program (just finished week 5) during my PE running class at college.
During summer term there isn't a running PE class offered so I asked my teacher what he recommended I take to improve my running.

Summer classes at my school are condensed and he suggested I take 2x spinning classes back to back.

This would be a one hour long class, 4 times a week (Mon,Tue,Wed,Thurs) for 8 weeks.

Will I survive? lol
Will this much spinning benefit my running? I'd still like to run this summer, probably on the weekend though so I don't overdo it.
I've never taken a spinning class but I'd like to think I'm in okay shape (I can spend an hour in the elliptical just fine).

Replies

• scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying I don't run so the impact of spinning I don't know but the lung capacity impact and high heart rate will help all over fitness.

My opinion on spinning is that it's the best form of torture there is, every instructor I've had seems to be some sort of sadist, they seriously enjoy spotting anyone not giving 100% and making them pay.

After my first session I swore I'd never go back, this thought was reinforced when my quads gave in on the first step down to the showers. Didn't have the energy to eat afterwards and fell asleep 4 hours early. Leg pain for 4/5 days.

Was straight back there the following week.
  • amybugfit
    amybugfit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Taking a break wouldn't be an option since it would be for a college class.
    Well, I suppose I could drop the class if I couldn't survive the first couple of days but I'd rather keep the college credit.

Best form of torture, ha, I believe it from all the things I've heard. Probably why I'm a bit intimidated to sign up for both.

Another thing I worry about is a sore butt.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to do both for your college credit?
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I like spinning classes but I don't know if I could do it 4 days in a row. Our hour long class is pretty intense. If you haven't done it before it'll make your butt sore for sure. It will go away but at least you can stand for a bit to help, gives your rear a bit of relief! Good luck.
  • amybugfit
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    You HAVE to do both for your college credit?

Not at all, just what my running teacher recommended, otherwise it's just a one month class.
    Other options are 4 weeks of spinning and then zumba or yoga but running cross training is my focus since I want to run a half marathon next year.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Spinning is not as easy as it looks. Plus, it hurts your butt. I'd only do 2x a week (with a rest day in between). I don't think 4x a week would be good for a beginner. Will it help your running? It will maybe help with endurance which will be good to carry you over until you can get back into running, but I don't know that it will help or improve your running.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love spinning! If you run, your cardio should be good to do a spin class, I would guess.... What'll hurt will be your sitbones! :) I used to do 2 classes back to back (and I'm a 30-some year old, non-athlete, mom who is trying to be a little fit); just gage your effort level, and take an extra bottle of water... You can 'regulate' how hard you go at it with the gears... I'd say try a class and decide for yourself!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I also love Spinning which I do 3-4x per week. It's all about personal input and the program which can dictate intensity. I generally give it my all when I do it so one - 60 minute session pretty much wipes me out. I've only done back-to-back once. Let's just say I wouldn't make it a habit of doing it that way. My tank is drained after 60 minutes.

I also run on occasion (not hardcore) and it seems to have helped my overall endurance and strength. But I don't Spin because of running. It's a blast to do and that's the reason I do it.

Could I do it 4 consecutive days? Probably but since I enjoy other types of activities, I don't. The great thing about Spinning is that it's low impact. However, like anything else you need to ensure you have proper bike setup and form. If not, you can get hurt. A good teacher will guide you through this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This would be a one hour long class, 4 times a week (Mon,Tue,Wed,Thurs) for 8 weeks.

Yuk! That's a horrible schedule. No recovery days between sessions and if you aren't a cyclist you are seriously going to hurt. Unisex saddles on Spinning bikes are awful and really should be called "no sex" saddles.....

I could do it as I'm a cyclist but wouldn't touch that schedule with a barge poll.
    Very much doubt you would get optimal results either, fatigue will grind you down.
    Alternating days of two different activities would seem far better, mentally and physically.

There's some crossover from cycling to running most mostly through the CV benefits but may help your hill running too.

If you do decide to do it you will have to vary the intensity from day to day - low/high/low/high would be my suggestion or high/low/low/high is you have an easy Sunday.
    To minimise the discomfort get yourself some cycling shorts and get the bike properly set up - I see some dreadful saddle positions. Chamois cream would be a good idea too.
    Proper cycle shoes would help too.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    amybugfit wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I'm currently doing the C25K running program (just finished week 5) during my PE running class at college.
    During summer term there isn't a running PE class offered so I asked my teacher what he recommended I take to improve my running.

Summer classes at my school are condensed and he suggested I take 2x spinning classes back to back.

Will I survive? lol
    Will this much spinning benefit my running? I'd still like to run this summer, probably on the weekend though so I don't overdo it.
    I've never taken a spinning class but I'd like to think I'm in okay shape (I can spend an hour in the elliptical just fine).

Any form of steady state or interval cardio will probably help your cardio base, but might not help with muscles specific to running. For me I actually think an elliptical machine helped me more than biking, but that might vary with your muscle development or lack of.

I avoided running for quite some time due to just not liking it much and back issues. Both the biking and elliptical helped my cardio base, but both lacked working my calves and certain upper leg muscles the way actual running does. But that would vary person to person based on your muscle group development as well as pace probably.

That much spinning is probably good for increasing your cardio abilities either way, and that often leads to better ability running.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used to teach Spin. 1 hour is a long class especially for a beginner. I would tell my new people to take it easy the first few classes. If you have to sit for a song and catch your breath or even just leave class early it was not a problem for me. Let your instructor know you are new and they will set you up on the bike. Also maybe sit towards the back so you won't distract others if you sit a song out. Ask can you leave early so they know what's going on and you're not going out into the hall to pass out. :) I would do it every other day the first week and work your way up to the 4 days. Your bottom will be very sore for the first week, but that will get better as it toughens up. :) If I haven't done spin in a while mine will still get sore. May sure you bring water and a towel.
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You will survive spin 4xs a week but maybe you should break it up so its M,T then Th,F. I dont know if this much spin would benefit your running tho.
  • amybugfit
    Options
    donutbears wrote: »
    You will survive spin 4xs a week but maybe you should break it up so its M,T then Th,F. I dont know if this much spin would benefit your running tho.

It's a college class so I can't pick the days.