Why does weight loss take soo long

Options
:mad: I have been trying to lose weight since January I started at 199 I am now 174 but I feel like I have been maintaing 174 forever now. Why does losing weight have to take so long!!!! My goal is to be 140lbs....That seems like a very far away dream. :(

What is a realistic goal ? how long should it take to be 140??

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to put it on?? It's gonna take forever...
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    9 months lol My weight gain was due to pregnancy i weighed 174 before I was preggers too...I am at my pre pregnancy weight now I wanna be smaller then I was
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Time, dedication, and hard work. Day after day. I would think that you could probably lose it in four months or so, not including any plateaus that could happen.
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    I seem to hit platues alot!!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I did not get fat overnight so I have to give it time to loose it.
  • DietPep1978
    DietPep1978 Posts: 202
    Options
    Hang in there and keep at it! How tall are you?

I feel ya though. I lost 29lbs from Jan to end of March...stayed the same...gained 5lbs back and now I've been yo yo ing these 5lbs forever! I must say though...I'm low on motivation.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is my motto. "it took awhile to make my body this way. its gonna take a while to take it back the other way!"

lol
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    Hang in there and keep at it! How tall are you?

I feel ya though. I lost 29lbs from Jan to end of March...stayed the same...gained 5lbs back and now I've been yo yo ing these 5lbs forever! I must say though...I'm low on motivation.
    hey hun I am 5'6.5 I am doing the same thing and it is driving me mental lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest get an app or use excel and track your weight on a graph. I find this really encouraging when it feels like I haven't lost anything to look at the downward pattern.
    It also means that you don't see the "plateaus" as much either, they are just natural variations but you can still see the downward trend.
    And if you've lost all your pregnancy weight then you've done a great job. Stop obsessing about it and go do some exercise!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. So, it is going to take a while. BUT...anything that is worth having never comes easy.

For me, I have been getting steadily heavier since I was a child, so I could say it took 30 + years to put it all on. I figure 3 years max however to get to the goal weight which is what I weighed when I was about 12 or so. Not too bad when you think of it that way. :flowerforyou:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Don't remember who said it but it said "One moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips". So true!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I know I'll get yelled at by people on MFP, but I do not eat my workout calories back at all (or only minimally). I've not had an issue with a plateau, but I did when I was eating them back. I couldn't lose much that way.

Maybe try to cut back on how much of your workout calories you eat and see if that helps. Every body is different and responds differently.

Remember also this is a lifestyle change, not just a weight loss thing.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You need to get more consistent about eating close to your calorie goal each day. You seem to be all over the place and often well over. I think once you do a better job being close (say within 100 calories) you will see better results.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    From the looks of your diary you are way too high on your sodium and your sugar intake is high also. Really cut back on these, sodium should be around 1500, and any processed foods and I bet you'll see the scales a movin!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I suggest get an app or use excel and track your weight on a graph. I find this really encouraging when it feels like I haven't lost anything to look at the downward pattern.
    It also means that you don't see the "plateaus" as much either, they are just natural variations but you can still see the downward trend.
    And if you've lost all your pregnancy weight then you've done a great job. Stop obsessing about it and go do some exercise!
    I agree 100%.

I weigh in every day and keep track of my weight, BP, heart rate, as well as % weight lost and pounds lost in the past 7 days. Very helpful in seeing when I'm losing and when I'm not.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    in jan i was 200, now im 176, im trying to get to 130. I WISH it didnt take so long to do it, and it didnt require such hard work either.
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    You need to get more consistent about eating close to your calorie goal each day. You seem to be all over the place and often well over. I think once you do a better job being close (say within 100 calories) you will see better results.

hmm I think you are right I tend to be all over the place!!! I will have to try and get that in check
  • reenpayne
    reenpayne Posts: 21
    Options
    I have said this to so many people.... weight loss is a journey not a race. You must stay focused and remember it's not just about losing the weight but it's a lifestyle. You will be just fine!!!