Swallowing veggies hole will they digest

Options
pearce8888
pearce8888 Posts: 32 Member
Hi. I don't like vegetables since I was a kid and throw up at the taste of them. I can't eat them. My dietitian said I can swallow them hole with a glass of water to swallow them down with. Just pea corn and carrot kernels. Small veggie pieces. I know this isn't the right way, it's a risk of choking and it's not good. I know theirs risks but I'm just asking, will the food digest if I swallow them hole and will I get the same benefit from the veggies nutritionally. Thanks for your advice

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It may cause stomach upset.
    What about blending them into smoothies?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will digest whole.

Have you tried cooking your veggies in 10 different ways? Having a food adventure like that might help.
  • asl1174
    asl1174 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do a search for puréed soups. That can be a great way to bulk up veg intake without feeling like you have to force yourself to eat things you don't like.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Have you tried cooking your veggies in 10 different ways? Having a food adventure like that might help.

I totally agree with this! I have realized on my weight loss journey that just as when I was a kid and my mother made me try new foods more than once, doing so now has helped me find some foods that I actually like more than I originally thought. For example, seafood. I always thought I hated it, but I tried a few different things and finally found that I love crab. And as far as veggies go, I always hated a lot of them because my family always bought canned veggies. Once I tried fresh, and even frozen, I liked them a lot more, or just cooking them differently.

Another thought is, look up some recipes that are meant to disguise/hide veggies from kids. There are a ton of them! I trick my kiddos all the time. Maybe if your vegetables are incognito you will enjoy them more... Better than swallowing them whole like pills.

Final thought... I dont force myself to eat anything I truly do not like. Find veggies and fruits you do enjoy or can at least tolerate chewing, and focus on those. You dont have to incorporate every single veggie you cant stand into your diet.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You expect us to know more than a nutritionist? :)

You might also try pureeing vegetables and adding them to stews, meatloaves, burgers and such. "The Sneaky Chef" by Missy Chase Lapine http://www.thesneakychef.com/ and "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld both have recipes for this technique.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    pearce8888 wrote: »
    Hi. I don't like vegetables since I was a kid and throw up at the taste of them. I can't eat them. My dietitian said I can swallow them hole with a glass of water to swallow them down with. Just pea corn and carrot kernels. Small veggie pieces. I know this isn't the right way, it's a risk of choking and it's not good. I know theirs risks but I'm just asking, will the food digest if I swallow them hole and will I get the same benefit from the veggies nutritionally. Thanks for your advice

Seriously??? You realize that vegetables don't all taste the same, right? Maybe it's time to get over that psychological hurdle and try some new things. (My son was the same way and now at 41 he eats everything). BBQ some asparagus with bacon wrapped around it. That's where I would start!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

this is great advice. i love pretty much every single veg except canned spinach. it depends on the way i cook eaxh veg. I hate boiled brussel sprouts but i will fight anyone over roasted brussels with garlic.. sometimes balsamic! carrots are whatever but my FAVORITE way to eat them are boil them (just a touch of water) butter and sugar.. reduce that until its a tenser sweet sticky delciousness. you may not love every veg but u might like some cooked in a certain way.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Swallowing your vegetables whole with water is neurotic. My advice is fire your dietitian and follow Rocknut's advice
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to get over that psychological hurdle...
    Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding