Fitbit Calories Burned

Options
For the people with fitbits, how accurate do you find the burned calories adjustments to MFP to be? Just wondering if it's close or not. Thanks guys!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    For me the models without HR underestimate by about an avg of 200 calories per day. The models with the HRM are pretty much dead on for me.

This isn't true for everyone. If you find it's overestimating (takes 4-6 weeks of data) and your sure your logging is accurate (correct entries from the database/ food scale is better for accuracy than measuring cups, but cups are better than eyeballing) then you can adjust your height down to lower fitbits calorie burn estimation.
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me the models without HR underestimate by about an avg of 200 calories per day. The models with the HRM are pretty much dead on for me.

This isn't true for everyone. If you find it's overestimating (takes 4-6 weeks of data) and your sure your logging is accurate (correct entries from the database/ food scale is better for accuracy than measuring cups, but cups are better than eyeballing) then you can adjust your height down to lower fitbits calorie burn estimation.

Thanks. First day using my fitbit and it added 860 calories to my allowance so I'm like eh I dunno about that lol
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    kaosvarkas wrote: »

Thanks. First day using my fitbit and it added 860 calories to my allowance so I'm like eh I dunno about that lol

What's your activity level set to and how many steps did you take?
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options

My activity level is set to not very active and I took 9600 steps.
  • shadow2soul
    edited May 2016
    Options

My activity level is set to not very active and I took 9600 steps.

That's why. MFP's "not very active" aka Sedentary level usually works out to be 3000 or fewer steps. If any of your steps were taken at a brisk pace, fitbit will give you slightly more calories for those than if they were all leisurely.

If it makes you feel better I got a 769 calorie adjustment for a day when I had just over 9k steps.