Protein Shakes

Options
Quick question???
What is the best time to have protein shakes??? I am to have 2 a day. Breakfast and Lunch? Lunch and Dinner? Breakfast and Dinner? or what about for a snack? I am unable to find protein bars without whey. I am Lactose and the Whey really bothers me. So, can I do a shake as a snack instead of a meal?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    AvrilC1971 wrote: »
    So, can I do a shake as a snack instead of a meal?

Absolutely. Making it a meal probably isn't the best idea anyway. Have a meal for a meal.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing is majoring in the minors. Make sure you're getting the required nutrients and don't fret about timing.
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about getting shakeology next month.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you are lactose intolerant are you using a casein protein powder? Who says you are to have 2 a day? Why 2? You should ideally be getting your protein from whole foods and using a protein powder to supplement your diet where you simply cant get enough protein through whole foods.

That being said you could either have a protein shake as a snack in its own with water or you can add the powder to a meal. I make a breakfast shake which is banana, greek yogurt and protein powder and I also add it to porridge when it takes my fancy.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If the shakes don't agree with you, perhaps you would be better looking food sources of protein rather than shakes or powders. There's nothing magic about these drinks, they are just another way of getting your calories.
    My personal preference is food rather than shakes and it sounds as though that would be better for you, compared to drinking something that makes you feel bad.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the protein is chicken or shakes or whatever, timing really isn't all that important either, unless you are an elite athlete, just eat when you feel like eating.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

And that's just another shake... from what I read on here (never heard of them outside this forum) they are expensive for what they are, and again, are just another way to get your calories.
    If you like them and are prepared to pay whatever they cost, then go for it, but be aware that there's no magic here, nothing you can't get from eating a variety of regular foods.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Id rethink that! It's just an overpriced MLM scam.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I used to make protein shakes all the time back before i gained weight. I brought my shaker bottle with the powder in it with me to the gym and when i was finished with lifting weights i would make it. I guess you could consider it as a snack. Now that i am losing weight again i am getting my protein mainly from foods like chicken (i eat a lot of chicken) and i also make beef jerky as well as keep protein bars on hand for when i cant eat a meal and need the protein. Look for protein bars for lactose intolerant online i am sure they exist.

Anyways If you must have two shakes a day i would base when to take them on when you workout. If you do a workout in the morning then for sure drink one then and the same if you workout in the afternoon or at night. Maybe not use a full serving of powder if you are drinking two, excess protein will just be urinated out.

Also you can either make it a snack or if it fills you up then you can have it count as a meal. The powder has lots of nutrients and protein in it so i think it can pass as a meal.
  • AvrilC1971
    AvrilC1971 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advise guys, I really appreciate them.
    I am using SunWarrior Raw Vegan protein powder. My chiropractor works out of a wellness centre and while we were talking about my work outs and not hitting my protein goals, one thing lead to another and the recommendation was made. I am on a high protein/low carb diet and I don't always have 2 shakes a day depending on where I land for the day on my protein goal. I do one for breakfast with water and an apple or some blueberries during the week. If I do a second one its more at night when I feel boredom munchies kick in. I am eating a lot more meats (chicken included) than I'm use to and lots of high protein fruits and veg but some days I just don't make my 40% protein.
    Anyway, thanks again for all the advise.
    Avril
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

@KrissaJane92 - I posted this in another thread, but thought you might want to consider looking around and seeing what other options there are out there that are cheaper than Shakeology.
    Just did a quick comparison of what I use and shakeology. This is what I came up with:

Chocolate Shakeology (picked it cause the stuff I use is chocolate):
    $129.95 for 1260 grams
    42 grams a serving/30 servings per bag
    Macros and calories per 100 grams:
    381 calories (160 per serving)
    4.76 g Fat (2 per serving)
    40.46 g carb (17 per serving)
    40.46 g Protein (17 per serving)

Fitmiss Delight Complete Protein Chocolate
    $28.98$27.99 for 889.2 grams
    24.7 grams a serving/32 servings per container
    Macros/Calories per 100 grams:
    365 calories (90 per serving)
    6.07 g fat (1.5 g per serving)
    16.19 g carb (4 g per serving)
    64.76 g protein (16 g per serving)
    it has some micros as well, but not to the level of shakeology. Fitmiss also has a multi though which closes the micro nutrient gap. It's $18.87 $19.68. That's $47.85$47.67 a month. $1.60 $1.59 per serving
    I don't see the value in shakeology.

updated prices from amazon in red
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    save your money get your protein from real food, there is a place for protein powder, but i think too many people get hung up on it, marketing hype on protein powder LOL big companies making you think that you need protein powder, its also a lot of money per value you could buy a lot of fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, cottage cheese or any other real food protein vs 5LBS tub of protein powder
  • djspacecaptain
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    save your money get your protein from real food, there is a place for protein powder, but i think too many people get hung up on it, marketing hype on protein powder LOL big companies making you think that you need protein powder, its also a lot of money per value you could buy a lot of fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, cottage cheese or any other real food protein vs 5LBS tub of protein powder

I agree the companies make you think you need it. I personally only use the powder when i had a heavy lifting session with weights lasting longer than an hour. Otherwise i get my protein from food.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have 1 protein shake per exercise day just because I want the 30 mg of protein without cooking so much expensive Harvestland chicken. Since I have it on an exercise day, I have it after I've exercised. I create it iced and sip it like a chocolate shake while watching Kelly and Michael.

By the way, I buy the stuff at Wal-Mart which you guys detest. It's under $17. I buy the Harvestland chicken at Wal-Mart. It's $4.49/lb and 1 lb yields ~60 mg of protein. The cheap powder is cheaper than the chicken per mg protein.
  • djspacecaptain
    Options
    I have the cheap stuff from walmart and i don't like it. It doesn't fully mix, leaving little chunks in my shake. Plus the taste is pretty bad in my opinion. I would rather spend 20$ more and get one from GNC which mixes well and the taste is way better.
  • HarmoniousExpression
    HarmoniousExpression Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AvrilC1971 wrote: »
    Quick question???
    What is the best time to have protein shakes??? I am to have 2 a day. Breakfast and Lunch? Lunch and Dinner? Breakfast and Dinner? or what about for a snack? I am unable to find protein bars without whey. I am Lactose and the Whey really bothers me. So, can I do a shake as a snack instead of a meal?

I have never been able to stomach whey, and other dairy ingredients. I completely can relate to your search for snack bars. I searched high and low until finally finding the right ones for me! ...give them a try, hope they are good to you as well. www.rawrevolution .com

As far as protein shakes, I do Shakeology Vegan Choc protein and LOVE it. My digestive and overall system feels a huge difference if I skip a day or 2.