Looking for MFP buddies who are over 40, have over 100 pounds to lose, and need exercise motivation

Options
Looking to create a community within a community here on MFP. I think it's really helpful to have a support system of people who share your background and challenges. If you are over 40, currently have over 100 pounds to lose, and you are sedentary/low activity and planning on adding more exercise, please post here and let's keep each other company. Please feel free to friend me if you do that, but don't feel obligated - we can just meet here if you like. You can use the following questions to write an intro post, or just write what you are comfortable with.

How old are you? How long have you been more than 100 pounds overweight?

I am 48. I have had over 100 pounds to lose for about three years. I want to lose 157 pounds to reach my goal weight of 144.

What is your biggest diet challenge?

Sticking with it! I actually have no problem eating healthy food, or restricting food. I don't have cravings. As a kid, and as an adult living by myself, I was a healthy weight. My downfall is falling into the habits of the people I live with - if I buy and cook food to please them, I end up eating the way they do, and gaining weight.

How do you plan to address that challenge?

After trying to change the way my family eats and failing (more than once), I have decided I am responsible for my eating, and my eating ONLY. I am going to eat what I must to achieve what I need. My family can join me, or learn to shop and cook for themselves.

What is your biggest exercise challenge?
I have had multiple back, ankle, and foot surgeries in the last seven years and I am not by any means pain free. Even walking at a normal pace at this weight and pain level is a challenge.

How do you plan to address this challenge?

I don't really have a plan yet. I am sure once I can lose a signifigant amount, my pain will reduce to the point I can begin walking. I have a treadmill, but it's in the basement and I dislike using it. I would like to walk my dogs every day for exercise. I would also like to begin some sort or resistance training. I haven't done any kind of regular workout for more than a few weeks at a time since high school, so I am a total newbie/beginner, without a clue.

What is your diet philosophy/plan/belief?

I think between extensive reading and a knowledge of how MY body responds to food, I know what I have to do. I despise draconian rules or fad diets that are created with the assumption that all bodies have the same histories, chemistries, and nutrition needs. I think in the end this stuff is pretty simple, actually. Eat fewer calories than you expend, lose weight; do that while eating well balanced macro and micro nutrients, and you can lose weight and gain health at the same time.

Do you have a pet? What is their name? Got a picture?

My dog Wilbur is the best boy ever. I want to lose weight and get healthy so we can go on walks again!
2j4kn8yl66sp.jpeg

Replies

• Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 46 yrs old and have been more than 100 lbs overweight for half my life. I was never skinny because my body has always had thick legs, hips and booty.

What is my biggest challenge?

Similar to you I have no problem eating healthy but the motivation is my weakness and finding the time like if time was lost. I have it but can't find it.

How do I plan to address this challenge?

Well I think that if incorporate it as part of my daily routine, I will be able to stick with it. I will also find buddies that are in my similar situation to help with the motivation.

What is my biggest exercise challenge?

Stamina, I love zumba and walking but get tired easily. My weight prevents me from doing certain exercises the right way.

How do I plan to address this challenge?

Do a little at a time, baby steps. I tend to want to go full throttle but if I set a goal of so many minutes for each exercise and build my way up I might get better results.

What is my diet philosophy/plan/belief?

We all know are own bodies. I know that if I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner my metabolism will start working better. So for now my plan is to actually eat at least three times a day.( I usually eat once a day when I get home from work.) Water intake is also very important I am a soda drinker so I will focus on these two things.

• RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello Navallez! Finding time to do things right is always a problem. After a while I get bogged down too, but healthy food doesn't always need lots or prep. I have a hard time eating three times a day too - breakfast and dinner are fine, but its hard to get lunch organized because I'm at work. If I pack my lunch the night before, I'm fine, so I have to commit to doing that every night, and maybe make it my light and boring meal - maybe low fat cheese, some turkey breast, and fruit.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Feeling a bit intimidated. I'm on day six, and I did great on Mother's Day, and I'm motivated, feeling good...but holy cow I have a seriously loooooooong way to go. It's like putting on climbing boots and taking the first step...then looking up at Mount Everest. I think that's why I want to meet others who are like me; older and 100 lbs+ to lose; I feel really alone. My family is emotionally supportive, but completely unwillng to change a single thing about the way they eat, so something that has always been a family activity just isn't anymore.