Any recommendations for fitness trackers?

Options
if you have one that you really think works great please let me know!
Thanks!

Replies

• LoveToRead91
    LoveToRead91 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit charge hr and really like it! I'm not knowledgable about others though so I can't really tell you how it compares!
  • LessToLoveTexas
    LessToLoveTexas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin vivofit. I really really like it. And you don't have to charge it because the battery last up to a year. And, you can get it wet. To me, it's worth it just because of those two things.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    pchts86 wrote: »
    if you have one that you really think works great please let me know!
    Thanks!

I have a Fitbit Charge HR as well but it doesn't track HIIT workouts well. I mean it tracks them, but the calorie burn is sort of wacko. It bases your calorie burn on steps taken during the workout and when you're doing pushups and burpees etc, you don't take as many steps so my burn is much lower (I just realized this yesterday). I would go with a fitness tracker that fits your needs. If you are solely wanting a calorie burn HRM, then go for one with a chest strap (Polar/Times etc). If you are wanting a step counter, a fitbit is a great choice or really any pedometer. If you want a combination of the two, I like Fitbit but I haven't tried others. However, once again, the Fitbit does well with counting calorie burns on steady straight cardio (runs/elliptical etc) but doesn't do well with things like Bootcamp or HIIT training. I'm looking at getting another chest strap monitor since my Timex is getting pretty old. But, I'm looking at one with a swim option as well and those can get super pricey.
  • tinagross09
    tinagross09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 diff fitbits (I always forget about them and wash them), the polar loop and now I have the polar A360. The polar A360 is my favorite. It's easy to use, it syncs with your phone and works w/ MFP. It's not too expensive either. I purchased mine on amazon.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I would say pick a fitbit that works for your needs. I started with the fitbit zip and I loved it. When it died on me I moved up to the fitbit one because I didn't want a wristband type.

I want to upgrade again, I was looking at the Alta but it doesn't count floors climbed which is big for me so then I looked at the Blaze because I really like the idea of a smart watch. In the end I decided I don't like the look of the Blaze so I'm going to end up getting a Samsung smart watch (because I want one!) and keep wearing my fitbit one.

If you're like me and aesthetics play a big role, I would say go with one that you can clip to your underwear or put in your pocket (like the Zip or the One) so no one sees it. If you want a wristband for the motivation/status it gives, you have a lot more options but I'm still in love with fitbit so that's the brand I would recommend!
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Csgs424 wrote: »
    I have the Garmin vivofit. I really really like it. And you don't have to charge it because the battery last up to a year. And, you can get it wet. To me, it's worth it just because of those two things.

Get it wet like to go swimming? Or, it's ok to accidentally wear it in the shower?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3, love it. I use mine cycling, hiking, running, swimming (it will record a GPS track and HR in the water), and as a barometric altimeter and compass. Occasionally I also use it for the navigation features. I thought the smart watch notifications would be a gimmick but I like not having to find my phone to see why it's buzzing.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    I would say pick a fitbit that works for your needs. I started with the fitbit zip and I loved it. When it died on me I moved up to the fitbit one because I didn't want a wristband type.

I want to upgrade again, I was looking at the Alta but it doesn't count floors climbed which is big for me so then I looked at the Blaze because I really like the idea of a smart watch. In the end I decided I don't like the look of the Blaze so I'm going to end up getting a Samsung smart watch (because I want one!) and keep wearing my fitbit one.

If you're like me and aesthetics play a big role, I would say go with one that you can clip to your underwear or put in your pocket (like the Zip or the One) so no one sees it. If you want a wristband for the motivation/status it gives, you have a lot more options but I'm still in love with fitbit so that's the brand I would recommend!

Darn it, I didn't realise that. I've got a One because I don't usually like wearing things on my wrist, but thought the Alta looked rather cool, so was considering getting one. But seeing as one of my hobbies is hill climbing, I like seeing my floor count rack up during a day's hike.

I've got a Flex which I keep in my drawer at work for the days when I leave the house and forget to shove the One in my pocket.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Get the one your friends have. They are pretty equivalent, but the social aspect of challenges matters.
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've not got one at the moment but I've been looking at the moov now device as it does swimming, running and cycling. Nothing out there does surfing with other exercises and as I mostly do swim and run I think it's a good fit for me, but wouldn't be useful for anyone wanting pedometer type tracking.

I like the swim length counting and stats it produces, it also does 7 minute fitness type workouts somehow, not really looked into this yet though...
  • cesser1
    cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am using the microsoft band 2 and love it. It tracks steps, runs, cycle rides, golf, lots of different workouts, and you can design your own workout and get notified for timing and repeats. It also monitors sleep, has my calendar, shows me texts and emails and more.
  • elmolina_03
    elmolina_03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am getting the new Garmin Vivoactive HR. Look it up it's awesome! You can get it wet. (swim)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i use the fitbit one - i never take it off except to charge. it's small, light, has a tiny screen, and i keep it safe by wearing it with a pedometer leash. one can either log driving time if their fitbit counts car driving as steps or use drivebit, a handy third-party free app, to do the logging.

honestly it's more of a pedometer with the ability to up your calories burnt if you walk faster or uphill, but i quite like mine. if you do things like walking lots at the store, the steps and calories can really add up. and whenever we go to disneyland, it's fun to see that we've walked between 17,000 and 27,000 steps at the end of the day :)
  • pchts86
    pchts86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the info, really helpful!
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit, didn't love it. I Love the Polar M400!
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit HR Charge. It is ok. It counts my steps and helps me keep moving. For tracking my runs and cycling I use my TomTom. They make a line of fitness watches. I like it ok but am looking into different ones since I tend to go through fitness watches fairly quickly.
  • wally2183
    wally2183 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am getting the new Garmin Vivoactive HR. Look it up it's awesome! You can get it wet. (swim)

Thanks for clarifying
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple watch. It's not a dedicated fitness tracker but it does that amongst other things.
    It syncs nicely with MFP so I don't have to enter any separate exercise. I'm very happy I have this, I know I get much, much more use out of it than something dedicated like a fitbit.
  • mdscott75
    mdscott75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar M400 + H7 HR monitor strap which I wear for running and the gym. The feedback it gives via the app and/or website I find very informative and motivating. Only downside is it doesn't count laps/lengths when swimming.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip because I don't do cardio and don't need the HRM. Just trying to increase my NEAT. I like it. It works and I dropped it in the toilet then peed on it and it still works.