I'm Lazy But I Want To Get Active

Options
So here's my situation: I'm lazy and I know it. I hate to exercise I don't do anything because I love to stay in bed. I know I need to get active but I love to stay in bed. Can you give me some ideas on how to squeeze in activities, or little burst of exercise into my life.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Idea #1. Get off your butt and go do something
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Start small like you said. Then increase intensity and time every week or two. After about three weeks you should have made yourself a habit.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Morning. Afternoon. Or evening. Choose one and do it.
    Staying in bed is great but won't get you where you want to be
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Spend the day posting questions to the interwebs about motivation and then read them on your couch.

Or, you know, put your phone down, and go exercise. Then come back here and tell everyone you stopped talking and started doing.

• jasmang
    jasmang Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So here's my situation: I'm lazy and I know it. I hate to exercise I don't do anything because I love to stay in bed. I know I need to get active but I love to stay in bed. Can you give me some ideas on how to squeeze in activities, or little burst of exercise into my life.

Do you have an iPad?! I have heard of people losing tons of weight by getting an ipad and watching a 45 minute or 1 hour show on Netflix while on the exercise bike or elliptical!! :smiley:
  • jasmang
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think I'm a good example of a lazy yet relatively fit person. My favorite thing to do besides the one activity I like, is sit. I'm not even going to lie.

So here's what I do. I got my one thing-weight lifting. So I do it. I have a plan and I don't miss workouts. There are absolutely no excuses for the most part.

Second thing I did recently was get the cheapest fitbit (50 bucks for the fitbit zip). It's perfect because it doesn't even have a heart rate monitor and since I don't do cardio (because lazy), it just basically helps me get off my butt and get enough steps on per day to stay as active as I want. For example...Friday night I was under my step count, so I took a late night walk. To the grocery store. To buy ice cream.

Good idea. I really like lifting, a LOT, and I kind of hate doing cardio... But I got a fitbit about 3 weeks ago. You can do challenges with your friends to see who can get the most steps, and because I want to beat all my friends, I have been doing tons of cardio ever since I got one... I'm looking a little slimmer, I'm sure. Haha
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    jasmang wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're getting rude responses to your question! Don't let people discourage you! Just having the desire to do better is awesome!

People talking are people not working. I've seen people talk about fitness on here ad nauseum and never hit their goals. Asking for motivation to simply get out and get busy isn't going to be productive. Doing is what matters.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're getting rude responses to your question! Don't let people discourage you! Just having the desire to do better is awesome!

Honestly, I think Dav and Beaches give the best advice here. He can sit on his butt and make "I'm lazy" his excuse to fail, or he can stop making the excuse and be ready to change. Giving advice to someone who says "yeah, but I'm lazy" isn't going to do anything unless he decides he isn't lazy.

Stop being lazy, OP. Lazy is a mindset, not a physical condition.
  • jasmang
    Options

People talking are people not working. I've seen people talk about fitness on here ad nauseum and never hit their goals. Asking for motivation to simply get out and get busy isn't going to be productive. Doing is what matters.

I agree with you 100%. However, I am personally a lot more motivated to go work out when I feel confident in myself as opposed to when people make me feel bad about myself.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I agree with you 100%. However, I am personally a lot more motivated to go work out when I feel confident in myself as opposed to when people make me feel bad about myself.

This is worth reading, particularly for those who seek third-party motivation to reach their goals.

http://berkeleysciencereview.com/when-telling-others-about-your-goals-compromises-them/

Perhaps you're spending time arguing for the OP and he got the message and went to work out?
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you don't use it, you lose it. That's what keeps me motivated.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    OP - did you get out and get some exercise today? If not, get up and get out now.
  • BethE36
    BethE36 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPad?! I have heard of people losing tons of weight by getting an ipad and watching a 45 minute or 1 hour show on Netflix while on the exercise bike or elliptical!! :smiley:

I started exercising again with the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I just told myself I could carve out 30 minutes. That is less time than it takes me to drive round trip to the gym and home.

But, I recently got the bigger iPhone and it's easier to watch shows on, so now I treat myself to the gym so that I can watch Netflix or Prime while I do cardio (bikes, elyptical, etc.) - it really helps motivate me to go. I see lots of people in there watching Netflix on their iPads/Kindle/Samsung devices too. (I do add on weights a few times a week and listen to an audiobook when I do that.)

• MarioAvila2
    MarioAvila2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Add me bro follow me on Instagram / YouTube vlogs OSO LIFTS .. Get it dawg!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You can start with walking at a brisk pace. You'll soon be going crazy with the rest of us once you see what you've been missing. OH - have both a goal and goad in mind. Both will act to keep you pushing yourself in the right direction.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Last thing - DIET. About 75% of weight loss is diet. Diet is simple, but tough at the same time. It's all about WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat,and HOW MUCH. Control those, and you control yourself. More easily said than done, but how bad do you want it?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    So I got back to being active by just tracking my standing and steps. I made sure I got a minimum of 20 minutes standing a day total and walking no less than 10000 steps. Sometimes it is still my minimum thing I do. But it does help. I used a Nike fit band, now I use a Apple Watch. it is amazing how hard it was in the beginning to make sure I stood up for 20 minutes a day.. total, not all at one time.