I can not remember what I ate for breakfast?

Options
This morning, I woke up early and was still a bit tired. I prepared my oatmeal, but then I added some maple syrup. I measured it to be 1/2 cup of maple syrup. The thing is, I can not remember which brand I put into it. The first brand I have is a sugar free kind, which is 30 calories for 1/2 a cup. The other brand is 400 calories for 1/2 a cup. They are in similar packaging with a similar taste and texture. I can not remember which one I put in. What should I log for today?

Replies

• celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would just guess that you might have consumed a little more than you thought, go with the higher one. If you eat 200 calories over your goal today due to being hungrier if you really did not eat that one, then you won't be setting yourself back. Especially if you get any movement at all during the day. Maybe just eat as normal and go on a walk :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Both. Log both. It is safer.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    celadontea wrote: »
    I would just guess that you might have consumed a little more than you thought, go with the higher one. If you eat 200 calories over your goal today due to being hungrier if you really did not eat that one, then you won't be setting yourself back. Especially if you get any movement at all during the day. Maybe just eat as normal and go on a walk :)

What she said. Then I would put the real maple syrup up into a high cabinet where you cannot easily get at it. If you are using 1/2 a CUP at a time- four HUNDRED calories- is it really worth it???? I'm not keen on the fake sugar either- it's got its own set of issues. You have to do what works for YOU- but personally, I would use fresh fruit to flavor my oatmeal - or a SMALL amount of natural sweetener- like a TEASPOON- and have a *really healthy* and nutritious breakfast.

• NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Here's a great recipe you prepare the night before- takes all of 2 minutes to throw together. You will have NO dirty pots to clean- and you can log the cals in night before:

3/4 cup organic ROLLED OATS (do not use instant or steel cut- will not work)
    3/4 cup your choice of liquid (Milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc. I like to use WHOLE organic milk)
    10 grams of raisins (optional)
    Dash of cinnamon
    - Put the oats into a large mug or bowl. Stir in the cinnamon and raisins if desired. Pour liquid over- DO NOT STIR (stirring will change consistency of oats). Cover & put in the fridge overnight. In the morning- take out of the fridge and enjoy cold (my preference!) or heat in the microwave for a few seconds. Add fresh berries or fruit if desired (don't forget to log the extra fruit!)
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Here's a great recipe you prepare the night before- takes all of 2 minutes to throw together. You will have NO dirty pots to clean- and you can log the cals in night before:

3/4 cup organic ROLLED OATS (do not use instant or steel cut- will not work)
    3/4 cup your choice of liquid (Milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc. I like to use WHOLE organic milk)
    10 grams of raisins (optional)
    Dash of cinnamon
    - Put the oats into a large mug or bowl. Stir in the cinnamon and raisins if desired. Pour liquid over- DO NOT STIR (stirring will change consistency of oats). Cover & put in the fridge overnight. In the morning- take out of the fridge and enjoy cold (my preference!) or heat in the microwave for a few seconds. Add fresh berries or fruit if desired (don't forget to log the extra fruit!)

PS I highly recommend a FOOD SCALE. If you don't have a food scale, measure the raisins carefully- they are very calorie dense.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would just log the one with more calories.
    We have 2 syrups in my house and I keep the one I use in a different place from the other one. They are in different sized containers too.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    That's a LOT of syrup for a bowl of oatmeal! Lol.

Unless the "bowl" was several quarts...? :)
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You'll get better at it. You don't have to be perfect to get great results. Just keep working at it.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the replies! That recipe sounds amazing, NewMEEE2016! I decided to just log the 400 calorie syrup... I was aiming for a healthy day too! I guess I will get back on track tomorrow... I usually make the bowl half oatmeal, half syrup.. guess it is a lot of syrup now that I think about it, lol.

That would make me barf. Are you Canadian?

Good luck on your journey.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Holy heck - that is a,lot of syrup. I'd be sick.