Kinda need help please

Options
How do you stay motivated? I've lost a lot of weight in the past and I have to lose more but it seems like I can't get back in track...I ate good half of the day and at dinner time I am a mess. I look up for motivation fotos, videos etc but nothing seems to help me. I am so mad at myself because I've gained some weight due to bad eating and above this, I am still a binge eater and a person with 0 motivation.
Please help me with some advices / diets / meal plans or anything.
Also, feel free to add me as your friend

Replies

• imoblivion
    imoblivion Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You have to stop being obsessed about the scale and have to stop thinking of it in terms of it being a fad. You need to make a commitment to it being a lifestyle change modifying the way that you're eating but not restricting yourself from certain foods occasionally because then they become a Temptation and then that will set you off your course.
    Start with making better choices instead of eating a soup and a sandwich have soup and a salad instead of having a cookie or something fattening as a snack or chips have some fruit. Once you start to learn to eat a little bit better everything else will fall into place also park your car further away and make yourself walk more take the steps instead of the elevator little changes like that will get you started and it won't seem so ominous like you're on some kind of diet and exercise program that you can't keep up with. Let me know if I can help
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    For me, the emotional and mental struggle is real! I've had people tell me "just eat better" or "just exercise" and I'm like, "thanks, I never would have thought of that." In my experience, I'm ready to change when I'm ready. There are practical things I can do, like stocking my pantry with healthy foods instead of junky ones, setting aside time to prepare food for the week, and leaving for work early so I can walk instead of take the bus, but sometimes I just have to trudge through not feeling it. Like imobilvion mentioned, I start with small change. I add in more leafy greens and cut down on sugar. I take short walks and then start adding in longer ones. My goal is not to become a fitness trainer. I just want to be a healthier, happier person. I don't have to do this overnight. And I believe that long-term change comes from taking small steps one day at a time. I've had luck with setting small goals with small rewards as well (every five pounds), with a big reward when I met my goal weight.

Also, I know meditation isn't for everyone, but having a little "quiet time" helps me a lot, even if it's only for ten minutes in the morning.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'd say pick a meal timing plan. Intermittent Fasting for example. 5 days of not worrying. 2 days of no food (Or under 500 calories). Or the 8 hours of being allowed to eat, 16 hours of no food.

For me, I have personally found the 2-5 day plan to be a godsend. On the low food days, I have my coffee and a small breakfast. Once I am hungry around lunch time, I have more coffee. In time, hunger goes away and am fine all day. On normal days, I don't worry too much, but stay conscious of food choice.

I have found that reducing calories across the board all week long made me feel restricted all the time. And hungry more often than not.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Motivational piece of clothing?
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I hope you find the way to slim down that suits you personally. Even though what works can always be summarised as "Calories in should be less than calories out", there's a number of ways to achieve that. What works well for one person may not be right for another.

For example, an acquaintance of mine swears by 5+2 intermittent fasting. She feels great, and has lost about 30kg on it. I personally wouldn't last through a single fasting day, and wouldn't be able to function at work at all. I don't even understand how anyone can diet on 1,200 calories per day, which people on this board often have as their set goal. What works for me is just eating at a slight deficit for a very long time (12 kg lost over 7 months).
    When I say I wouldn't last through a single low calorie day, (of say under 1,300), I mean that I'd likely be starving by the evening and end up giving up on my daily goal and eating too much. So let's say I'd probably end up eating 2,000 calories and wouldn't lose any weight.
    So instead what I do is just acknowledge that I have to eat at least 1,500-1,600 calories a day, which still allows me to lose a bit of weight, and it also means my hunger is manageable and I don't end up overeating. So that's what works for me. 1,600 that really is 1,600 is better than 1,200 that ends up being 2,000.

What works for my husband is skipping breakfast. What works for another acquaintance is doing lots of running at walking, so that she is still losing weight on 1,800-2,100 calories a day. So find out what works for you!
  • anaam27
    anaam27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    katie22mfp wrote: »

Nope, that didn't work
  • anaam27
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies..
    I do believe that fasting 5+2 would not work for me because probably I would eat a lot in those 5 days :))
    So maybe as you said, I have to find my own way I am just scared that it will take me too long and I will continue to gain weight in the meantime :(
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    anaam27 wrote: »

Nope, that didn't work

Yea, that was funny. I had a whole closet full of motivational clothing for 5 years. And now finally after 4 months of deep inside me desire to do this, it's all too big.
  • oneespanola
    oneespanola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try an app called Fabulous. It has a rainbow logo. It helped me to create new habits for eating and sleeping. Step by step it guides you along so that you make better choices. I use it daily so that my healthy habits stick. Good luck!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are having a lot of your hard times at night. One thing that may work for you is pre-logging your evening food. There are times I do that when I am finding myself tired a lot and not always at my strongest to resist food urges. Just knowing what I am going to eat can help change my mindset. It also lets me know what I can eat during the day to allow me to eat enough at night.
  • anaam27
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    It seems like you are having a lot of your hard times at night. One thing that may work for you is pre-logging your evening food. There are times I do that when I am finding myself tired a lot and not always at my strongest to resist food urges. Just knowing what I am going to eat can help change my mindset. It also lets me know what I can eat during the day to allow me to eat enough at night.

That is a good trick, thank you :smile: At dinner time my mom comes home hungry from work and at that time she puts everything on the table and I kinda eat from everything. Also she and my boyfriend likes sweets too much and eat them sooo..I can't always resit :(
  • anaam27
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    anaam27 wrote: »

Nope, that didn't work

Yea, that was funny. I had a whole closet full of motivational clothing for 5 years. And now finally after 4 months of deep inside me desire to do this, it's all too big.

I have almost a closet full myself :)) I also bought a nice black dress which I love but no motivation haha
    Anyway, congrats for your achivement
  • anaam27
    Options
    Try an app called Fabulous. It has a rainbow logo. It helped me to create new habits for eating and sleeping. Step by step it guides you along so that you make better choices. I use it daily so that my healthy habits stick. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip. I didn't find that app but found something similar, maybe this will help me. :)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts. The first thing is to stop calling this a diet. diets suck and you fail most of time. you have to think of this is a lifestyle change.

The other thing is you have to find something that'll personally motivates you. A lot of people here will understand what I'm going to say. Whatever it is it has to be totally selfish. You can't do it for the kids for the significant other for anybody but yourself. Once you find that this becomes a piece of cake. Never in my wildest dreams I thought I could lose the amount of weight I did and it's so simple once you're in the right mind frame.
  • anaam27
    Options
    lifestyle change is the key -I previously always looked on ' dieting ' as some kind of temporary fix which would somehow get me to an undefined goal . But I was doing that in spite of my lifestyle which hadn't really changed much hence unsurprisingly the result was failure . Motivation for me was akin to desperation approaching age 60 morbidly obese - even considered bariatric surgery but didn't do it more by circumstance than anything else . Then I had a serious review of the whole situation nd embarked upon a lifestyle change involving good nutrition , initially light exercise and acupuncture to boost metabolism . I aimed for a deficit of 1000 calories per day out put 2500 intake 1500 - didn't always achieve it but was mostly n the zone . This comes out around 7000 calories or 2.2 lbs loss per week roughly half a stone per month . I'm now 22 months in and have lost 158 lbs and counting ultimate target is to drop a further 42 lbs which should hopefully be another 6 month away but overall year end . Now jogging 35 miles per week to keep output right and eating food I like but with all weighed and counted and a 200 cal buffer for minor indiscretions . Fitter now than anytime since my mid thirties !!!! I was in a bad way before I started - if I can do it anyone can believe me ! Wish you the very best of luck and achievement .

Thank you so much!! It is very impressive! I do believe that one of my problems is that I am always influenced by the number of the scale and I know that is a very bad thing..
  • anaam27
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts. The first thing is to stop calling this a diet. diets suck and you fail most of time. you have to think of this is a lifestyle change.

The other thing is you have to find something that'll personally motivates you. A lot of people here will understand what I'm going to say. Whatever it is it has to be totally selfish. You can't do it for the kids for the significant other for anybody but yourself. Once you find that this becomes a piece of cake. Never in my wildest dreams I thought I could lose the amount of weight I did and it's so simple once you're in the right mind frame.

I know that if I would loose weight it would be for myself but believe it or not, even though I know that a higher weight will bring back a lot of problems, I continue to eat bad things and feel bad after...I am a mess somehow:))