Advocare and the 24 Day Challenge - Did it help? Is it worth it?

Options
crissy1110
crissy1110 Posts: 29 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
And please, no comments from distributors, as your opinion may be a bit biased! :wink:

For those of you who use/have used Advocare products and/or have participated in the 24 Day Challenge, what is your honest opinion? Do you feel like it helped increase your weight loss? I'm not trying to get a "quick fix," as I know that healthy diet and exercise are the keys to long-term success. I'm just stuck in a rut and need a "boost" to help me get over this hump. Would you recommend the 24 Day Challenge? How are the appetite suppressant supplements?

Thanks!!

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hubby did it. A butt load of money- wasted.
    Know what helps you lose weight? Calorie deficit.
    Would you take an appetite suppressant forever? No? Then you have to learn moderation and portion control.

There is no "easy" way.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally, but I had a few friends do it. They completely the challenge with no problem and lost a decent amount of weight. They all had a very hard time after the diet due to how restrictive it was and it didn't take long to gain the weight back.

Sadly that's the weight loss industry sales model. Give someone success, but don't set them up for long term success. It creates a demand for the product because people think they absolutely need it to lose weight and keep it off, but the reality is that the plan is built to not help people keep the weight off.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    crissy1110 wrote: »
    And please, no comments from distributors, as your opinion may be a bit biased! :wink:

For those of you who use/have used Advocare products and/or have participated in the 24 Day Challenge, what is your honest opinion?

Your wallet gets much slimmer.
    crissy1110 wrote: »
    Do you feel like it helped increase your weight loss? I'm not trying to get a "quick fix," as I know that healthy diet and exercise are the keys to long-term success. I'm just stuck in a rut and need a "boost" to help me get over this hump. Would you recommend the 24 Day Challenge? How are the appetite suppressant supplements?

Thanks!!

You'll be just as hungry as ever but you'll rationalize that it works. "Only 20 more days to go. I can do this." Why are you doing this? Because you're wasting tons of cash on it and you want it to work. Does it work? It works the same way that any restrictive diet works. It limits your calories.

If you want to pay someone to eat less then by all means do it. Heck! You can even pay someone to cut out 1/3 of your small intestines and most of your stomach. There's no limit to what you can spend to lose weight. Of course
    you can do this on your own if you just count calories. There's no need to eat food you don't like or spend extra money.

• efischer90
    efischer90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had great results and it was an awesome reser for my lifestyle
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I haven't personally, but I had a few friends do it. They completely the challenge with no problem and lost a decent amount of weight. They all had a very hard time after the diet due to how restrictive it was and it didn't take long to gain the weight back.

Sadly that's the weight loss industry sales model. Give someone success, but don't set them up for long term success. It creates a demand for the product because people think they absolutely need it to lose weight and keep it off, but the reality is that the plan is built to not help people keep the weight off.

All of this
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

All of this

Completely agree! It's not easy to lose weight or get healthy even, but you have to do it on your own for it to stick!!! The industry preys on desperate people.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »

All of this

Completely agree! It's not easy to lose weight or get healthy even, but you have to do it on your own for it to stick!!! The industry preys on desperate people.

The industry isn't evil. People prey on themselves. How many people have you told "eat in a reasonable calorie deficit and do some moderate exercise" only to have them say "Nah, after I finish this cleanse I'm going to stop eating bread and maybe I'll run a marathon"?

There's plenty effective fitness choices for people to spend their money on, but it's human nature to look for a magic pill. People troll themselves.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.
  • ScottyT67203
    ScottyT67203 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you have a good coach they can give you great information and support. Without it you will not have all the information needed to succeed.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you have a good coach they can give you great information and support. Without it you will not have all the information needed to succeed.

All the information to succeed in weight loss can be found free on MFP. No need for any "coaches" or spending any money.lost of the "coaches" have zero nutritional training.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

What specific training and qualifications are needed for an Advocare salesperson to call themselves a "coach"? Which accredited association/professional body do they train/qualify through? Or is it just like Beachbody and all the other MLM scams where the only qualification needed is to pay your $29.95 distributor fee and you can then call yourself a "coach" and give "information and support" to people without knowing a single thing about diet, nutrition or training?

Advocare is a scam and a ripoff, just like every other MLM scheme. Their products are overpriced woo and their "coaches" have no qualifications to do anything but give sales pitches for their "magic pill" powders/shakes.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am 'distributer' but i have NO desire to sell. The 24 day challenge really did help me kick off to be healthier.... i have PCOS and losing weight is 10x's harder for me then it is other people... i lost weight on it and never gained it back. Its not 'magic pills' or meant to be a miracle diet.... its meant to be a kick start to help you get on a heathier track. Its nutrition through supplement and learning to eat healthier.

If you use it to be quick fix thing, of course you are going to gain the weight back, and thats your own fault, not the product. There are alot of different MLM companies out there and sketchy 'coaches' but for the most part all the products basically work if used properly and not trying to use them as a quick fix with sketchy coaches which is what has given these companies a bad rep. You just have to find what works for YOU. It could be Advocare, Beachbody, Thrive or nothing at all and just good old diet and exercise. Just diet and exercise does not work for me, i tried for years and still had NO energy, beyond constant exhaustion from the PCOS and even tried over the counter vitamins. The products from Advocare has helped me tremendously with that and most days i can function like a normal human being.... and it has been about 3 years for me.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oh and the appitite control does work well, to answer your question.
  • Aly_Advo96
    Aly_Advo96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the 24 day Challenge! I'm on my second phase. day 11-24. I've lost seven pounds so far. I have a thyroid problem so loosing 1 lb was hard enough. With Advocare it's so much easier.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    a lot of supplements work. yes OP you will lose weight pretty quickly. but if you're NOT going to change your eating and logging and exercise habits you will gain it back even more quickly. and if you ARE going to change your habits than you don't need a supplement!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm on the challenge now. Being a runner I eat lots, so this has helped me with portion size and different ideas for healthier snacks. I've lost about 8 inches total so far and about 5-6 pounds. Yes I want to continue to help me with my running. I feel like I get full quicker, but the supplements in the cleanse suck! I don't like swallowing the herbal cleanse pills-too big. If I see success and get my money's worth I'm happy.