Mamas of babies- what do you do for exercise ?

Options
Hey mamas of babies (or anyone else who wants to weigh in !)

What are you doing for exercise ? I have a newborn and have gained tons of weigh and want to get active again. I had to be on bed rest for a few weeks before giving birth.

So far I'm just walking.

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I started out walking for the first 5ish months, then added in weight lifting around 6 months. He's 8 months now and i've lost 45 pounds and many inches and am back in my pre-pregnancy clothes, though i do want to lose about 20 more. In the past month the inches started coming off a lot faster and though the scale movement has been slower, it's been more consistant. This is baby #3 (and final) so I am wanting to get to my goal and stay there happily. Just remember to not drop your calories too low as it may conpromise you milk supply if you are nursing.

You can add me if you like
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started group fitness Classes at a gym with a daycare when my baby was two months old. He's now 9 months and I'm down 40lbs.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and diastasis recti rehab. After that, I did the first two parts of Jamie Eason's Post Pregnancy Trainer. I really liked the fact that I could break the work out up throughout the day so I could fit it in while caring for my son. I am currently doing Starting Strength to gain back my pre pregnancy strength.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Never had children physically but I'm a nanny and I find time to exercise most days. When naps were a thing I did youtube videos while they slept, now that they don't nap it's a little tricky.

But what I do is pay attention to their play, at times they're perfectly happy just with each other. Earlier they decided to build a Lego town and it got real involved, and they hated my input! So I went off to the side and did a pilates DVD.

I work in walks most days of the week, they have classes to go to now so idle time is less but we try. I do wall sits, squats, wall push ups, etc while we play together. If I'm the seeker you better believe I fit in some squats while I have to count!

For little ones it's almost as simple, just sync up with baby'shower rhythm. Do stuff you need to concentrate for while he or she sleeps, go for walks together often (when I nanny for infants holy cow that's my only sanity! Strap them on and get outside!), use the baby to weight your squats. There's lots of options!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Walking/jogging with them in a stroller, and lots of free YouTube videos. My favorite is FitnessBlender. Lots of HIIT and strength training available.
  • zoemay101
    zoemay101 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Newborn phase I did you tube videos. Even though that often meant pausing them. I also put baby in a carrier and walked the dog, but went on tough trails with hills.

Now I can go to a class and put baby in the play area. However, I am lucky because I have weights at home and this has been awesome to sneak a workout in once kids go to bed.
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was a baby, I did Jillian's 30DS when she napped and Couch25k when my husband was there to mind her.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When my 2-year-old was a baby I did a lot of walking. Then when I incorporated more strength exercises I would use him as weight.
    Lifting him up and down.
    Do squats holding him.
    Have him in the ground and do pushups over him and kiss him in the way down.
    Now that he's older we'll do bear crawl races, and it's fun to go to the park and get on all thee equipment with him and workout\play with him.

It's also great bonding.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I go to the gym when the kids are finally all in bed. Usually around 9pm.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I did beachbody dvds, dvds from walmart/amazon/target and walking with baby in a stroller, ymca with childcare (after 2 months old)

I had a c-section on my last one so I had to sit it out for a while postpartum but I tried to walk as much as I could, like when I was talking on the phone or walking to the grocery store instead of driving.

I also invested in a Heart rate monitor to keep me motivated. I got some equipment from ebay and local craigslist

It's really about determination. You can use youtube and pinterest as a source as long as you're willing ot put in the work. :)

congrats on the baby and starting your weight loss journey!!!
  • scriptie
    scriptie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Walking. But don't do too much too fast. Ligaments are still lose for months after birth. I screwed my ankles up from trying to get 10k steps a day even after waiting two months. I am fine now getting that much daily (10 months pp), but had to take it easy and count mostly on logging foods the first 5 or so months.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies ! I really want a fit bit to help keep motivated !

I have a Jillian Michaels video I need to dig out....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Do you have stroller strides in your area?
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what that is !
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My sister teaches it. Its a group exercise class for moms with kids in strollers. Check it out: http://fit4mom.com/programs/stroller-strides
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I did nothing until about 4months pp.

Then I started going to the gym (with daycare) and / or getting up before everyone else to work out.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I started at about one month post partum with some light exercise in my basement while baby slept. I highly recommend fitness blender, free videos on YouTube. You can search for "fitness blender low impact" for something lighter to start out with and then gradually start doing more intense exercise. Walking is also a great option.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started doing davina's fit in 15 when I was 9 weeks pp. Baby's now 14 weeks old and I'm doing jillian's 30 day shred.
    Even 15 mins is a struggle as baby doesn't nap predictably but he's getting better so I can now usually finish the 25 minute shred workout without interruption!
    It has completely rebuilt my stomach muscles and I had bad separation straight after birth so had to wait 2 months before any abdominal exercise. So I def recommend 30 day shred! I'm on day 23 now and feel great.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm just walking and going to a mum and baby pregnancy class and doing a Shiva Rea mum and baby DVD when I get the chance...but it involves lots of pressing pause to feed etc!

I've just set up a new group to log weekly weight loss after having baby. Would be great if you could join me so we can encourage each other along the way!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113945-fit-fabulous-postpartum