How much does your weight fluctuate?

Options
I have been weighing myself every morning and night for the last couple of weeks and I am aware of your weight fluctuating during the day due to water retention and what not. Also have noticed that you can be the same weight for a while and then it drops. But my weight can fluctuate 2 to 3 kilos within a day or a couple of days. Do other people get that big of a difference?

Replies

• faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Typically 10 lbs from morning till evening.

And if I consume a lot of sodium or salt, it can boost my weight (via water) throughout the week.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I never weigh at night because it's just too depressing. My weight can fluctuate from day to day, 3.5 pounds is the biggest difference I've seen while trying to lose. But on maintenance it could be as much as 5 pounds.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't consider these hourly fluctuations as they are due to the food and water you put inside yourself. And it naturally has weight. (It is not like water retention so much, mainly the weight of the things you ingest). So I only weigh in the morning after toilet. (If I don't go to the toiled first, my weight might be the same or even higher than before)
    So considering that, my weight only goes up the day before my period. All the rest of the time it is either the same or it drops by 100-200 grams. How much it will go down in one go obviously depends on your weight. I'm 70kg at the moment so I don't expect to see 1kg loss anytime. But if you weigh 150kg you can probably see bigger losses at a time.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depends ..if I eat chinese or something with similar sodium content ....I can gain up to 8lbs.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Around 5 lbs throughout the day.

It makes sense though. My salad weighed over a pound. I've drank and peed out 2 liters of water which is 4.4 lbs. It's a constant ebb and flow all day.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Typically I stay within 4 pounds, but I've seen it fluctuate as much as 7 pounds.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I float around 4 + -
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have been weighing myself every morning and night for the last couple of weeks and I am aware of your weight fluctuating during the day due to water retention and what not. Also have noticed that you can be the same weight for a while and then it drops. But my weight can fluctuate 2 to 3 kilos within a day or a couple of days. Do other people get that big of a difference?

Why are you weighing yourself at night?

My scale went up seven pounds in a few days when I started lifting weights again last fall.

• DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Why are you weighing yourself at night?

My scale went up seven pounds in a few days when I started lifting weights again last fall.

I don't obsess about the differences, so it doesn't really matter when I weigh myself. My weight fluctuates a lot, doesn't matter what time of day or if I do it only once a day or whenever. Yesterday morning I weighed myself and I was 62.7kgs then this morning I weighed myself and I was 65.9kgs. I don't worry about it because that is normal for me, but was just curious what happened for other people.
  • pearce8888
    pearce8888 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates over 6 kilos a day and it's kind of annoying. I weigh my self every day with my fitness pal and it shows you the progress graph which still shows roughly that the weight is going downwards over time
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    From morning to night my weight can fluctuate around 5-7 lbs. But when I weigh myself every morning my weight doesn't really fluctuate. It basically stays the same or goes down. I intentionally keep my sodium in check so no more than 2200mg usually. The only time I might see a water weight gain is during TOM.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For *kitten* and giggles, I decided to weigh myself every 2 hours one day. I wanted to see how much the number would fluctuate. My biggest difference was 8lbs. Great experience to make you realize that a small gain isn't the end of the world.