Junk food cravings??????

Options
Every time I start changing my diet, even just by making small healthier choices, I have some serious cravings for junk food. Any ideas on how to get rid of these cravings without giving in to them?

Replies

• gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Same. Before I was dieting I had this thing of m&ms on math desk for the longest time. I never thought of it or wanted it. Literally the DAY I started my diet. When I was watching tv in my room all I could freaking think about were those m&ms!!! Haha just because I was telling myself no I wanted them. So I threw them away
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Junk food seems to me to be code for highly palatable foods.

So, if that's what junk food seems to be code for for you too, then perhaps the problem is that you need help making your diet taste better than it does?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Portion/snack size baggies! Get one of your favorite can't live without snacks and as soon as you get home, divide the entire bag in serving size portions or even half serving sizes if it's particularly caloric. Then you know what you are getting and you can stem the mindless eating, knowing you are getting a great without destroying your deficit. Hope this helps.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you don't have problems managing portion sizes, then working them into your calorie goal might be a good option. Another idea is to focus on making your small healthier changes a positive goal rather than a negative restriction, i.e. "today I am going to get 5 servings of fruits and veggies" rather than "I'm not going to eat the cookies." I've noticed that when people focus on the positive goals and don't sweat the rest, they find themselves moving towards the original dietary goals pretty easily. You just develop the habit of eating that way and the rest falls into place.
  • simonnatyu
    simonnatyu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem and honestly there isn't much you can do other than just not eat it. What I do is whenever I want something unhealthy, I remind myself of my goals and that usually helps.

You could also try to leave some extra calories or work out more so you can have a little of whatever you want. The cravings aren't as strong after a little bit, it's hardest in the beginning
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love junk food too. Especially candy. I just don't have it in the house. When I do want something like chocolate I eat a small portion. I allow calories for my fat free fudge pops at night, so I satisfy that chocolate craving.
  • johnboy916
    johnboy916 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is no ending to the cravings. .... Snicker bars and Doritos are my kryptonite. ........ stay strong and resist...... :)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    There is no need to resist temptation, if you're able to moderate your portions. I lost 38 pounds, working occasional (like once a week) treats into my diet. On special occasions (like birthdays or holidays), I just said, "Screw the diet for this meal," and overindulged. One meal every few months isn't going to kill your progress. That being said, if it's something that you really have a hard time controlling yourself with (Cherry Garcia for me), it's best just to keep it out of the house.
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 80% cacao dark chocolate it takes the cravings away.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There will always be a craving to some degree, but if you can get those cravings to happen every few months or so (it is possible), then you will be set.

Every one is different, so one persons ability to ignore cravings vs. another can be completely different which is why I would suggest eliminating junk food altogether.

Ghrelin is a hormone that our body produces that has been directly associated with increasing appetite. There are many factors that contribute to 'cravings', another huge one is insulin sensitivity/insulin resistance.

The main point is, if u can't control your ability to avoid the food that you are craving, I personally would completely avoid junk food all together, which coincidentally I am currently doing.

Good luck.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I control cravings by not restricting anything but calories. I work treats and fast food and other "junk" into my calorie goal every day. I have made some changes, like I eat Greek yogurt a lot more instead of candy or ice cream. But I still have candy or ice cream if I really want it. I do find it helps not to keep certain foods in the house. But for me if I tell myself I can't have something then that will be all I want.
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's gonna be hard at first. But if you have a sugar addiction, then you have a serious problem. I have a sugar addiction, and OA (overeaters anonymous) support group on facebook has helped me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's in your head. It's what I call "mental hoarding". When you start a diet, the word "diet" is usually associated with restrictions and saying no, especially to what you consider to be junk food. It's similar to the "last supper" phenomenon where you overeat the day before you decide to start dieting. You dread the idea of restriction, so you overcompensate for it by "hoarding" food either by eating too much of it or by constant mental ideation about it.

It's a hard cycle to break but can be done by slowly retraining yourself to see junk food in a normal light, just like any other food you can eat on a diet in normal portions. It's a bit harder with junk food because it's usually higher in calories and your portions are likely already distorted.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You could make fast food at home? Turkey burger with sweet potato fries or cauliflower pizza you can make fried chicken sandwiches too their not that unheathy if you make them right
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Find a 'healthier' (ie more macro friendly) option that will satisfy your craving. If that doesn't work (which is usually the case for me), have a bit of the real thing.

Hard to give advice without knowing what 'junk' you are referring to though. But Greek yogurt (either with fruit or just flavored), nut bars, and protein shakes/bars helped me a lot at first.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This weekend I had some pretty strong cravings due to TOM.... I just ate what I wanted & tracked calories, focused more on maintenance cals than weight loss because I knew this would pass. Generally though i try to reach for healthier alternatives, coconut milk ice cream has been a lifesaver, topped with a dab of pb & loads of fruit. I have a strong sweet tooth so keeping berries around has been a lifesaver
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    cravings I find typically happen when you refuse to allow those foods into your WOE.

I find the best way to avoid them is to include those items in my daily/weekly routine..

I don't "sub" items for the things I want...if I want chips I eat the chips..crackers typically won't cut it...if I want chocolate it's typically milk chocolate and nothing else will do.

So I fit it in.