What motivates you to get off your butt?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What motivates me to get off my butt is ... the size of my butt.
  • willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What motivates me to get off my butt is ... the size of my butt.

This usually works for me, but there are those days where I'm just like "meh it's not a terrible butt!"
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Every fitness gain has been hard-won and I'm determined not to lose it. And damn, you can lose it quickly.

Also: I want to be able to pick up however many family members and run if there's a fire or whatever.

I survived a natural disaster where, for some, good fitness and quick reactions helped save their lives.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kquick316 wrote: »
    I need some advice for when I just don't feel like working out! TIA :)

Objectives, goals, a plan.

Fior me that means planning what races I want to do in the year, and structuring training around that.

So a Marathon has a 12 week lead up, a half marathon has a six week lead up. Each of those has a base building period, a speed period and a taper before the race itself.

• hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've realised i'm more vain than lazy! I am starting to like the way my body looks and I know I've got to keep exercising to keep seeing the improvements. I also like buying clothes I like rather than what was best at hiding the fat!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Knowing that every day of inaction is a step in the wrong direction. Every day of action get me closer to where I want to be. Simple as that.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I am my motivation, I like to have fun and improve myself physically and mentally. I never want to look back at life and say what if I tried harder.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I am my motivation, I like to have fun and improve myself physically and mentally. I never want to look back at life and say what if I tried harder.

I don't want regrets either.

I also really like feeling a little sore. Knowing I can feel that burn after I've done a challenging workout is great motivation for me personally. I also know that every day I train, I'm a little stronger, with a little more endurance, and am a little closer to being able to do the things I want to do. I'm working up to a spartan race, and am training to resume jiu jitsu soon. I think it helps to find what it is you love about exercising and remind yourself that if you can get off your butt, you'll get to do/feel/achieve xyz.
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm single, so I want to be attractive.
  • willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm single, so I want to be attractive.

I think we all can relate, I'm married but I still want to be attractive!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being active.

The only times I don't feel enthusiastic about being active are when I'm really not feeling very well and need the rest more than the exercise.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My motivations to get moving:
    • Wanting to finish the "job" (being fitter and healthier) I've started
    • Pleasure - I now get a real buzz from exercising and feel good all day after it, especially cycling. Feeling the wind through your hair is a feeling like no other :smile:
    • If I don't exercise, I feel cheated for the day
    • My children - my son loves cycling as well so we go together (at 6am!) and try to meet new challenges every ride. My children also go on long walks with me so they benefit as well.
  • lzap27
    lzap27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Since rebooting myself in February I figured out that the one thing missing in my weight loss journey was exercise. I never consistently did that part and now that I am, I am doing so much better. I go three times a week and sometimes I go at 8 pm. It's so hard to leave your family and house at that time. But I tell myself I have to do it, because it has to be different this time. And i try to remember how accomplished I felt the last time I left my house to go to the gym in the rain, cold, etc when I just wanted to stay home. It's really hard but I don't want to be in the 200's anymore.
  • mystgrl28
    mystgrl28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My exercise calories. Lol! I set my activity level to sedentary even though i have an active job so the more i move and exercise, the more i can eat for the day. I love my food so this gives me the motivation i need. So far it's working. I figured if i stop losing weight then it's time to find another motivational thought, probably clothes! Hahahaha.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Having specific goals I want to meet, planning ahead (when am I going to work out), treating it like an essential part of my day, not a "I'll do it if I get to it," and if I really don't want to that day deciding that I will do at least a little something and then stop after 15 minutes if I really want to (never, ever have--once starting you get into it).
  • tippiturtle13
    tippiturtle13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My dogs! They know which days of the week are my morning trail running days and power walking nights. Their excitement keeps me going.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kquick316 wrote: »
    Do y'all plan your workouts ahead of time?

Most fit individuals follow a schedule.

As to your OP...I enjoy being physically fit and looking good. Find something you enjoy doing and do it...it's not such a chore when you're actually doing something enjoyable. I like riding my bike, so I primarily cycle for my cardiovascular fitness, and I enjoy lifting weights so I hit the weight room three nights per week for about an hour.

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Not growing old gracefully. I want to grow old as mutton dressed as lamb, well not quite, but I don't want to stay frumpy before I need to be.
  • jorjon57
    jorjon57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Buying new workout clothes always motivates me to get over a hump
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Goals goals goals. This is what motivates me. If I have something I'm striving to achieve (certain number of miles run, amount of weight to lift, etc.) then I have a reason to get up and work out.