Oatmeal substitues?

Options
Today I tried instant oatmeal for the first time and to he honest - I HATE IT. It's too dense and gooey and smell of warm milk makes me sick :/
What is the best substitute for oatmeal to get the best nutrition? I've heard granola is full of sugar so it is not that great after all...
Thanks in advance :)

Apparently I don't know how to spell substitute :P

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Maybe barley? But why are you looking for an oatmeal substitute? Oatmeal is a complex carb... there are lots of complex carbs to choose from. Whole grain bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole grain pasta, brown rice, quinoa. Basically any minimally processed carb should do (i.e., not white bread, white rice, refined sugar, cake...)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    quinoa!!! amazing with almond milk and stevia or a bit of honey and cinnamon!! High in protein too!
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try old fashion oats, instead of quick oats. They're thicker, you can still make them with water, and they feel like they have more substance to them It's not gooey, but more chunky in a yummy way. Just check on the bag how to make them (I think it's 1/3 cup oats, then I just cover with water, and microwave 45 seconds),

I find the packaged flovoured oatmeal has way too much sodium - I feel it in my teeth for hours afterwards.

Otherwise try making barley or buckwheat the old fashioned way, but that would take 40 or 20 minutes respectively.
    Quinoa is very good, and only takes about 10 min to boil and is quite tasty with a little brown sugar.
  • trixie5059
    trixie5059 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals have some great cold ones......my favorite is Berry crisp. full of protein and really high in fibre, I have 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup milk and love it,

Try it, you'll like it
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    I also hate oatmeal (though we call it porridge here) though I plan to give it another try this week. I'd be interested in any alternatives too - am getting a little sick of my standard yoghurt or muesli with chia seeds, LSA and psyllium husks.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Here is a family recipe that is super good for you. You could even add pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds to it. You can eat it as granola or as oatmeal. I like it with greek yogurt. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245971-homemade-healthy-granola-203-calories?hl=healthy+granola#posts-3250665
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    First off, try again with real oatmeal - it's a completely different food from the instant stuff. If you still don't like it, try Red River cereal - cooks like oatmeal, has a hunch of different grains.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    You could try grits or something if you're looking for a hot breakfast cereal with a different consistency. Quinoa is my FAVORITE but I never thought to have it sweet with breakfast.. hmm.. You could even whip up a brown rice pudding with minimal sugar/sweetener and mix up some raspberries in it and portion that out in the morning (:
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hmmm my mum always does really good breakfasts back in the UK - she mixes up her own museli mix, or buys an organic mix from the health food shop (Holland and Barrett I think) and then adds in some rough porridge oats. She really likes it as it gives it a nuttier flavour and also goes a lot further than the supermarket ones (and has none of the added nasties). I'm going from a coffee-and-run girl to starting to have a balanced breakfast (and diet) so anything will be a shock to my system at the moment!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Real oats are much nicer than instant, but if you don't fancy that you could have brown rice if you want a "good for you" grain for brekky.
    Try porridge with ground almonds (or LSA mix) and chopped banana or apple. And a little drizzle of honey if you want it sweeter though I find that the apple makes it sweet enough.
    If you hunt around you should be able to find granola (what I would call muesli) that doesn't have added sugar. Look for a natural (untoasted) or oven baked one for less added fat. Or, it's very easy to make your own - plain rolled oats with any dried fruit, bran, nuts and seeds you fancy.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    buckwheat.
    http://edibleperspective.com/2011/01/baked-buckwheat/
    6of10_thumb2.jpg
    Buckwheat Muffin Bake [serves 1]

1/4c ground buckwheat groats [untoasted]
    1T whole buckwheat groats
    1/2-1t cinnamon
    1/2T vanilla
    1/2 large banana
    1/4t baking powder
    1 flax egg [1T ground flax meal + 2.5T warm water, whisked]
    1T chia seeds
    2T chopped walnuts
    4T almond milk

Preheat oven to 350*
    Whisk flax egg together and set aside for ~3-5min.
    In a small bowl mash banana until egg-like.
    Mix in almond milk + vanilla with a fork.
    Mix in buckwheat, buckwheat groats, cinnamon, baking powder, chia seeds, and walnuts.
    Mix in flax egg.
    Lightly grease a small oven-safe dish, add mixture, smooth, and bake for 30 minutes. [I used a personal size soup crock]

but uhm, how can you not like oatmeal? that's a sin.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A substitute with an identical nutrional profile is raw oats, served with cold milk (or water if you don't like milk at all). As with oatmeal porridge, you can add fruit or nuts to make it more interesting (the result, of course, is muesli).