If you primarily lift, but are tempted by a 5K

Options
Hello,

A local 5K is coming up. I've never participated in any race and I'm tempted to try this one out. I'm seeking advice.

My exercise regimen is primarily lifting weights, with the occasional treadmill work. I try to run three days a week, for 30 minutes, at a plus-7mph clip (max 8 mph). I generally put in at least 3.5 miles.

The 5K starts with a decent incline, but quickly goes downhill and flattens out.

I'm not looking to win or even place highly. Just finish.

Is a three-treadmill-runs a week history worthy enough to try a 5K? Or is much more prep work needed? Or are 5Ks for the experience always worthwhile, as long as in decent shape?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you can run 3.5 + miles at a time without stopping than you can definitely do a 5k since that is less than 3.5. Plus 3.5-4 miles in 30 minutes is a very good time. Most 5K training programs are 3 times a week so you will be ok. I love races, they are fun!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You'll be completely fine. Do it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Being in a large group can be pretty energizing and fun. I'd go out one evening and see what it feels like run on the street for 3.2 miles. Can you follow the actual route and see how bad the hills are? (They're not so bad if you slow down for them.)
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello,

A local 5K is coming up. I've never participated in any race and I'm tempted to try this one out. I'm seeking advice.

My exercise regimen is primarily lifting weights, with the occasional treadmill work. I try to run three days a week, for 30 minutes, at a plus-7mph clip (max 8 mph). I generally put in at least 3.5 miles.

The 5K starts with a decent incline, but quickly goes downhill and flattens out.

I'm not looking to win or even place highly. Just finish.

Is a three-treadmill-runs a week history worthy enough to try a 5K? Or is much more prep work needed? Or are 5Ks for the experience always worthwhile, as long as in decent shape?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

You won't have any problems
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Eh, you'll most likely be fine. If you are really concerned, look online for the previous years' results for that race. That will give you a good idea whether it is super competitive or a normal community race where the participants span the range of great runners to casual walkers. I've been in races where I finished with a 42 minute time and people were coming in 20 minutes after me and one where I ran it in 33 minutes and was the last runner in my age bracket. But with your time, you'll likely be fine.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Go outside and run for half an hour, see how you feel! In the morning, around the same time as the race would start. Repeat a couple of times, it shouldn't be radically different from your slightly longer treadmill runs.

No, I don't think you need more training, you should be fine. And I do think it's fun and worth it to run a race.

5k runs here have a lot of people competing, there is always a contingent of walkers, so you are in no danger whatsoever of not finishing. The ones I have done racers are friendly and not pushy, it may be different out front but in the middle/back people are just participating or racing themselves. Stay slow during the uphill beginning, I'd advise, throttle some during the downhill part, then speed up at the halfway point if you feel good, and, as I tell my kids, run like hell when you see the finish line.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Being in a large group can be pretty energizing and fun. I'd go out one evening and see what it feels like run on the street for 3.2 miles. Can you follow the actual route and see how bad the hills are? (They're not so bad if you slow down for them.)

I agree with this. You're already running long enough to easily finish a 5k but running on land is different than on a treadmill. Even if you can't run the exact route of the 5k definitely get some outside running in prior to the race. Then just go and have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 3.5 miles I think you're good to go...you're running further than a 5K.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like others have said, if your running 3.5 miles a 5k is less miles and should be cake walk for you. I ride mountain bike and maybe twice a year i may run if for some reason i cannot ride my bike(in the shop) and i can easily run 5k as a result of my legs being in shape/strong enough from the bike.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go for it! From personal experience, though, on my very first outdoor run (after I had been running inside and on a treadmill FOREVER), I struggled tremendously because I wasn't use to taking in all that fresh outdoorsy air (I guess ;) ) and couldn't get my breathing under control. By the 4th time, I was a lot better. And now, I love running outdoors. I said all of that to say, you might want to get some outdoor runs in before running the 5k...just in case it is a problem for you. Have fun!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're well prepared, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with walking part of any event like this.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    You'll do great. You won't win, but you will probably place fairly highly.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Should be completely fine. I primarily lift, with even less treadmill time than you. Each year for the last 3 I have done my town's 5k race which is an incline the whole first mile, a little bit of downhill, then a long gradual climb until a small bit of flat and downhill toward the flat finish. My time improves every year despite no training :) Good luck! I am doing the race I just described on Saturday with a bench competition pre-race. Each rep at 60% bodyweight for women and 100% for guys takes 30 seconds off of your race time. If my calculations are correct I might be able to win that category of the race!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

This will be easy for you. Half the kids in grade school can finish one just from running around outside during recess. Will you win? Na, but if you're there to have fun you'll have great success!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you do the 5K you may not want to do any more treadmill running. You will have no trouble, have fun!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, and I did at 239 lb, you can do it. Just beware that if, as I did, you receive a goody bag of food afterward that nothing in the bag is in or feeding plan for the day.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-4 times a week, do yoga once a week, and walk daily at lunch. Twice a year - May and September - I do 5k races for local charities that I like to support. I do next to no training for these. I finished the one on May 1 in 41:43 and I only ran for 30 minutes 4 times in the two weeks prior to the race.

Go do it. You've got this.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    AgentFlex wrote: »
    Should be completely fine. I primarily lift, with even less treadmill time than you. Each year for the last 3 I have done my town's 5k race which is an incline the whole first mile, a little bit of downhill, then a long gradual climb until a small bit of flat and downhill toward the flat finish. My time improves every year despite no training :) Good luck! I am doing the race I just described on Saturday with a bench competition pre-race. Each rep at 60% bodyweight for women and 100% for guys takes 30 seconds off of your race time. If my calculations are correct I might be able to win that category of the race!

I don't understand how bench press helps increase running speed.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. The first 5k I did my ex wanted to do and I hadn't run in years. He signed me up for it 2 weeks before I ran a few times around the track by my apartments and ended up doing really well (my time was around 26 minutes or so). I totally fell in love with 5ks they're enough to keep me motivated working on my pace otherwise I just get lazy and refuse to run/jog faster than a 9 minute mile. Plus, free t shirts!