Is my friend wrong or right?

Options
2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Ant488 wrote: »
    I have been told lifting lighter weight and increasing your number of repetitions will give you definition and cut / sculpting your body. Where as lifting very heavy weights give you the bulk as massive look. Obviously, you can argue the point better than some.

You were told incorrectly.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What does your friend LOOK like? I'd take my advice from someone you want to emulate.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    What does your friend LOOK like? I'd take my advice from someone you want to emulate.

not necessarily. some people look great without lifting or with very little - but that could have a lot to do with their eating habits, lifestyle and genetics.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

not necessarily. some people look great without lifting or with very little - but that could have a lot to do with their eating habits, lifestyle and genetics.

Yeah - and just because that person may have a particular look, doesn't mean he (OP's friend, in this case) actually knows how/why he got that look. He could be doing a bunch of stupid shht in the gym, but lucking into what he's ended up with.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ant488 wrote: »
    I have been told lifting lighter weight and increasing your number of repetitions will give you definition and cut / sculpting your body. Where as lifting very heavy weights give you the bulk as massive look. Obviously, you can argue the point better than some.

you've been told extremely wrong.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That's kinda the worst way to judge someone's competence
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are benefits to both. Check out PHUL; it's a structured intermediate program that incorporates heavy and hypertrophy.

Also, I found this article interesting: optimizing muscle size through different training methods.

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly6.htm
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Definition is achieved by lowering your body fat percentage. How you weight train is up to you.

This. Your friend is wrong. End of story. He doesn't even make sense with his hard to do more reps with low weights comment. What takes more effort, is harder--lifting a 5 lb sack of flour ten times or a 40 lb bag of dog food 10 times?

You can't compare 50 lbs with 400 lbs. A better example would have been 10 lbs 40 times vs 40 lbs 10 times. I think the higher reps might require more effort if you don't have the endurance so her friend had a point.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When I think of the light weights I consider my purse. I carry it around every day. It weighs most than those little weights in the gym. It has yet to make me into a swimsuit model.

I do a Boot Camp class where we use the under 10lb weights - it's cardio not strength training.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would have stopped reading after "All you will have is bulky muscle legs" and "it's harder to do more reps with light weights"
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Rotflmao good point
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I believe in a good mixture. Some weeks I'll do 5 sets of 5 reps. Then the next few weeks I may do 4 sets of 15 reps. Some weeks I only do body weight movements. Unless you have a specific goal, IE: power lifting, body building, etc.