Avocado-Coffee Milk shake ideas keto friendly/low carb

Options
My two favorite things in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! I found this recipe and Im eating keto. So how can I revamp this keto style and do it right with out messing it up:

Avocado-Coffee Milkshake

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2 cups milk
2 cups ice cubes
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 fully ripened Avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted and diced
Directions:
In small cup, dissolve espresso powder in 2 tablespoons water. In blender, combine milk, ice cubes, condensed milk, dissolved espresso powder and avocado; blend until very smooth. Serve immediately.

I was thinking of almond milk but it not as thick right? plus it already calls for regular milk?? then i thought of heavy cream but heavy cream is well...... creamy not heavy like condense milk and plus i don't care for heavy cream. I also thought about half and half but it still thin kinda. I could mix it with splenda?

Maybe the condense milk is to take the sugar part?? I don't know. I'm just leaning what a pot is:laugh: so forgive me.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Why does the avocado have to come from Mexico?
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Silk Soy milk makes an organic unsweetened version that is very low carb. Substitute that for your milk and add stevia or splenda and maybe a teaspoon of coco powder?? Just a thought.
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why does the avocado have to come from Mexico?

-_- ....................I get mines from Kroger's.......................there your question is solve.................
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I make a coffee smoothie with just the following:

1 cup almond milk
    instant coffee to taste (I tend to use a lot)
    ice cubes (maybe a cup)
    1/2 -1 scoop protein powder
    Stevia to taste

I find the consistency of this is near perfect and makes a single serving. The recipe you have listed would likely make more than one serving and not sure why you would need all the milk and condensed milk. I would think something similar to the above with maybe a bit more almond milk to compensate for the avocado consistency would work fine (you can also take out the protein powder if you want). Just using the above as an example that you likely don't need as much as that recipe calls for.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    WOW ON the sugar
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 244Calories from Fat 86
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 9.6g15%
    Saturated Fat 6.2g31%
    Cholesterol 40mg13%
    Sodium 214mg9%
    Total Carbohydrates 22.8g8%
    Sugars 24.6g
    Protein 16.2g
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I make a coffee smoothie with just the following:

1 cup almond milk
    instant coffee to taste (I tend to use a lot)
    ice cubes (maybe a cup)
    1/2 -1 scoop protein powder
    Stevia to taste

I find the consistency of this is near perfect and makes a single serving. The recipe you have listed would likely make more than one serving and not sure why you would need all the milk and condensed milk. I would think something similar to the above with maybe a bit more almond milk to compensate for the avocado consistency would work fine (you can also take out the protein powder if you want). Just using the above as an example that you likely don't need as much as that recipe calls for.

THANK YOU! This will be my lunch tomorrow! and i do find it hard when changing a recipes to fit my diet needs hard. It always come out wrong but i will try this tomorrow.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bullet coffee...

Get grassfed Ghee (tablespoon)
    Expresso shot or 2
    Cocnut MCT oil (tablespoon)
    1/2 to 1 cup almond or coconut almond milk (unsweetened diamond)

Blend
    Drink

300-400 calories (80-90% from fat)
    1 carb from the almond milk
    A LoT of Energy and a full.stomach

• Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Here is my coffee smoothie (love it and low carb): 1/2 cup cold brew iced coffee (with nothing else); one cup unsweetened almond cashew milk (25 calorie version); 1 scoop ump vanilla protein powder (sweetened w/ stevia); a handful of ice cubes. Blend and enjoy after lifting weights; afternoon snack; even for lunch sometimes depending on what else I'm eating that day.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say that if I want more fat I can add some ripened avocado. [Here is my coffee smoothie (love it and low carb): 1/2 cup cold brew iced coffee (with nothing else); one cup unsweetened almond cashew milk (25 calorie version); 1 scoop ump vanilla protein powder (sweetened w/ stevia); a handful of ice cubes. Blend and enjoy after lifting weights; afternoon snack; even for lunch sometimes depending on what else I'm eating that day.]
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Avocado-Coffee Milkshake
    Adding avocado to your coffee? I can't say that this sounds appealing to me. Also that condensed milk is hardly keto or low carb. The almond milk idea works better I think but these are calorie bombs either way unless you're using this in place of a meal or as the main part of a meal.

• jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can any body give me some feed back on a ketogenic diet plan.I have lost 43#s in 2 months by longING in and keeping the calories no more than 1200.I read about keto so I was wondering how anyone is doing on it PLEASE.JUST STARTED MFP 2 months ago.thanks
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    jayrow473 wrote: »
    Can any body give me some feed back on a ketogenic diet plan.I have lost 43#s in 2 months by longING in and keeping the calories no more than 1200.I read about keto so I was wondering how anyone is doing on it PLEASE.JUST STARTED MFP 2 months ago.thanks

It's a forced calorie deficit by removing tasty foods from your diet.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you like, of course, but this sounds horrid to me.

I'm assuming it calls for a Mexican avocado because the recipe probably comes from the Mexican Avocado Advisory Board, or whatever. In this same wise other recipes will call out "KRAFT CHEDDAR CHEESE" or "CLABBER GIRL BRAND BAKING POWDER".
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Crud. Just realized this is a necro.
  • jessiethe3rd
    Options
    Avocado? This is not a good choice for fat. Put ghee in your coffee... It tastes fantastic
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Avocado? This is not a good choice for fat. Put ghee in your coffee... It tastes fantastic

:huh:

Avocado is a great and healthy choice of fat

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    This thread makes Juan Valdez sad.
  • jessiethe3rd
    Options

:huh:

Avocado is a great and healthy choice of fat

Ghee is better and has virtually no carbs. It also tastes a million times better than avocados in coffee. Google Bullet Coffee