Getting Tired of Chicken

Options
2»

Replies

• stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been eating chicken drumsticks and thighs daily for the last 1500 days. )

Wow.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    To avoid 'getting tired' of one protein source, I deliberately vary them from day to day. My dinner has beef and pork M,T,T,F, salmon on W, Chicken on S,S. Sometimes I use tofu instead of all of the above.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Turkey or pork tenderloins.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork, camel, any of the usual suspects. Just check the label and read the stats, most will be a little higher cal/fat than chicken breasts but are still very easy to fit into your day and will be a nice change of pace.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't understand the question. If you want other meat, eat other meat: Pork, beef, lamb, turkey, venison are all normal foods in Western societies. Haven't you eaten any of these before?

To avoid 'getting tired' of one protein source, I deliberately vary them from day to day. My dinner has beef and pork M,T,T,F, salmon on W, Chicken on S,S. Sometimes I use tofu instead of all of the above.
    I do something similar; soup/stew (often vegetarian/little meat) on Mondays, pork or chicken on Tuesdays, leftovers from Monday on Wednesdays, salmon or herring on Thursdays, anything on Fridays, toast or pancakes on Saturdays, beef or lamb on Sundays. It gives me structure and variety, I found it a great way to stop getting bored and lost.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork, camel, any of the usual suspects. Just check the label and read the stats, most will be a little higher cal/fat than chicken breasts but are still very easy to fit into your day and will be a nice change of pace.

Camel? Really?

I don't think I have ever seen camel offered at any of my grocery stores.
  • farahnelson18
    farahnelson18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. I'm tired of chicken and also tired of feeding my kids chicken.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't understand the question. If you want other meat, eat other meat: Pork, beef, lamb, turkey, venison are all normal foods in Western societies. Haven't you eaten any of these before?

This. I think the issue is that some people feel like they have to eat "diet" food and that means boneless skinless chicken breast, lean ground turkey, and maybe seafood. OP doesn't like seafood, so there you are.

The fact is there are lots of reasonably lean or lower cal cuts of meat, including within all the categories you mention, and even higher cal/fat cuts can fit within a normal calorie meal or day, without much problem. Realizing you can just eat regular meals and a wide variety and still lose weight is so helpful, IMO. I don't really like boneless, skinless chicken breast (yes, it's a canvas, but more often than not I want to prepare meat that is delicious just prepared simply and without fuss, like a roasted breast or whole chicken or pork chop or lamb chop or steak or most fish, etc.), so if I thought I had to eat it all the time I'd go nuts. Well, mostly I just wouldn't bother, probably.
    I do something similar; soup/stew (often vegetarian/little meat) on Mondays, pork or chicken on Tuesdays, leftovers from Monday on Wednesdays, salmon or herring on Thursdays, anything on Fridays, toast or pancakes on Saturdays, beef or lamb on Sundays. It gives me structure and variety, I found it a great way to stop getting bored and lost.

I vary a lot too. Not according to any plan, but I get meat from a farm and have a bunch in the freezer at any time as a result, so take out stuff to defrost as I'm in the mood. I also vary based on cooking time things I need to cook ahead (because they must be done slowly) and things I can and plan to whip up fast after work. I often make the slower cooked things (including stuff like pulled pork) on the weekend for the week's lunches.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    All meat has nutrients thus can be part of a healthy diet.
    Turkey, beef, pork, lamb, fish, bison, game, etc.
    I don't eat much beef because it is expensive. I eat more chicken thighs than boneless skinless chicken breasts. I eat meatless meals sometimes with pasta, beans or lentils.
    Maybe investigate more non-meat protein sources to change things up as well as having different kinds of meats.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I love digging through the clearance rack and sales is that it can get me to change things up.

I ate a ton of pork last winter because it was around the same price as chicken breast a lot of the time.
    Some weeks ago, I decided to say screw it and bought shrimp because it was around $4 per pound.
    These last weeks, I've bought a lot of ground turkey because good prices.
    Last week, chicken thighs and breasts were the same price I picked up some thighs since they're normally a little more expensive.
    This week, I picked up a cheap pack of chicken tenderloins.

Look around the meat section and see what might interest you.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you look hard you can find all kinds of meat out there - crocodile, quail, duck, kangaroo, emu, turkey, veal, pork, lamb, goose, venison, rabbit, goat etc.

OK, some of them might be a bit hard to find... but keep your eyes open in your supermarket and also, if you have shops from particular nationalities in your area, see what they have as a change. The Vietnamese butcher at my market sells all the bits you don't usually see like pigs ears and feet and livers and pieces that I can't even name!

I often use pork fillet (lean and delicious) in recipes where I could use chicken breast - like chicken breast, you don't want to overcook it or it will be dry.

Do you avoid fish/seafood because of allergies or because you don't like it? If it's just that you don't like it, you might like to consider trying very mild tasting white fish like barramundi or snapper with a delicous crumb crust or a pineapple or mango salsa, or make it into things like thai fishcakes with lots of spices.
    I never used to be a big seafood eater, but my husband loves it and I know it has lots of good nutrition so I've gradually tried different options and recipes and found a number of seafood options that I enjoy. If you are allergic, please ignore this paragraph!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    All meat is healthy when it comes from properly raised animals. You need not fear fat in pastured animals since it contains the proper ratio of omega 3/6 fats. When they fatten them up with corn and God knows what other crap in a feedlot it makes the meat 1) fattier and 2) has too much omega 6 fats and bonus 3) taste terrible so you have to inject it with butter and MSG to get it down ewe! Get yourself a nice pastured pork roast and thrown that thing in the slow cooker with whatever spices or veg you like. Can't go wrong!

Unfortunately if you want organic/free range/good meat that isn't injected etc meat rather than the cheap meat that has alsorts in it you have to pay more (in the UK anyway) and not all of us can afford this.