Broken ankle adjusting diet

Options
Hi
I've broken my ankle last week, just a silly slip and crack it broke

Replies

• lucylocketlostherpocket32
    Options
    Opps my question is should I make any adjustments or anything I should be eating in particular to help the healing process?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take a couple of weeks off and eat at maintenance. Your body needs calories to heal. Make sure to keep counting though so you don't go over maintenance and end up gaining more weight than you bargained for.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I broke my leg in two places, femur and tibia. The doctor told me to eat lots of protein to help the healing. To tell the truth, I ate cheeseburgers and anything else I wanted while sitting in a wheelchair all day and still lost weight. Healing bone requires many more calories than we usually burn. Have fun and get well!
    Options
    It's not a bad break I have a walking boot and crutches but I'm not allowed to weight bear at the moment. I just feel so weak, the tiny trip to the bathroom makes me feel like I've been to the gym for an hour lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen any way so while you heal just eat at the calories MFP has set you to and all will be well. If you are finding it hard to stick to lower calories perhaps eat at maintenance calories until you're ready to get up and moving again - at least that way you wont gain, you'll stay the same weight.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle and was on crutches for 6 months. At the end I was in the best shape of my life

My abs were rock hard from doing reverse crunches whenever I wanted to move
    My arms and lats were nicely developed from basically moving my own body weight.
    My right leg and bum were tight as can be from being contracted to hold all my weight when I was standing
    and I ate whatever I wanted because my body was burning everything from trying to heal itself and the constant exercise to move around.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK when I was in university they did a study as to the best way to train for crutch walking.

The answer TADA is crutch walking.

So if you want a GREAT workout-go places.
    TTrips to the bathroom are tiring-consider it a workout. Extend your range by either an extra trip or going a bit further. Use this as your workout.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    What did your orthopedist say? I've broken a couple of limbs in the past two years. Your body is in shock. That will pass.
    Options
    The dr didn't really say much to be honest he said would have to wear the boot for 4 weeks could be 6, might be able to weight bear after 4 weeks might still need the crutches lol
    Gave me a leaflet with a couple exercises to do and then some different ones when I can put my weight on it. That's about it I have to wait for a physio appointment so I guess I just see what they say.
    I can't do any cooking at the moment so I'm relying on other people but I haven't got much of an appetite at the moment anyway.
    Thank you for all the advice
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe bad enough last year to need a boot (cool looking break on the x-ray, not so much fun to walk with). There are certain amino acids and nutrients that help with healing. I would also add in a few extra calories as your body is going to need them for healing. The things I added in was: Horsetail (an herb high in silica), magnesium, vitamin D, and a homeopathic drug called symphytum officinale. The key amino acid was lysine (so I ate things such a tuna fish). I believe I also took an Omega 3. Also, there is strong support to not take pain killers if you can help it, as it actually slows the healing process, and weight bearing exercises such as walking (if doctor approved only) have been shown to accelerate bone growth after a break, though it seems counterintuitive. With all of the above, my bone, which on the x-ray had a nice gap in between the two pieces, was fully filled in at the next x-ray 4 weeks later. I may or may not have hiked and even ran in the boot (only the last few days before it was removed). While I would not suggest running, I would suggest moving as much as possible (and allowed) though have the understanding that all activities may need to be modified and/or slowed down. Good luck and heal quickly!
  • butterboo20
    butterboo20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Opps my question is should I make any adjustments or anything I should be eating in particular to help the healing process?

I broke my ankle back in October and not being able to exercise like I had been I put on weight very quickly. My doctor said to make sure you don't drink a lot of smoke because that prevents you from healing as quickly. So if any of those things are something you do then try not to. Also, don't get tempted to take the boot off early once your cast is off. I did this and my ankle took freakin FOREVER to heal. Make sure to eat healthy though and try to do small frequent exercises to help keep any weight off. HOpe you heal fast!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I would. Adjust for your activity level. I gained wait after a recent surgery because I ate the same as always during a long recovery with no exercise.