Has anyone ever had a trimalleolar fracture (triple ankle break)? If so, how did you improve motion?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
I am in an air cast. I noticed without it that my ankle has a much lower range of motion than the other. For example, I couldn't do a squat in this condition. My knee can not push nearly as far forward on my recovering leg as on my good one. Has anyone been through this? I am not sure if this is normal or not and I am also not sure if it can improve or not.

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about when to start rehab.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    A loss in range of motion sounds normal with many injuries. I had terrible range of motion after I broke my ankle. It's a slow, often irritating process, but I imagine it will get better over time.

I wouldn't advise doing anything without your doctor signing off on it. You have time to recover. Trying to rush things might only lead to complications.
  • jaeemtea
    jaeemtea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No breaks just many bad sprains. You might need to do rehab for it. I had surgery on my ankle last year and went through rehab for a few months. I have limited range of motion just because of what had to be done to repair the ankle. Hopefully for you if you do go through rehab it will help you gain back your range of motion and strength. Good luck with your recovery.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you all. Mine is so bad. I literally can pretty much only reach a 90* angle with my healing leg's knee when seated and can't move it forward nearly as much as my other leg. I can't push forward nearly at all... in some positions, seated, it is a tiny bit better, but standing it is super tight there and feels like if I try to stretch it will just snap lol Scary. I mean it is just that stiff. My Dr. pretty much gave me loose instructions. He said I can get therapy or not. I can wear my air boot or try shoes. He said to do what feels right for me because everyone is different and that he will follow up with me in a month. I tore tendons and broke my ankle in 3 places. They put in a plate, a wire and 8 screws to repair it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wait a month, then talk to your doctor about how it feels at that time. It needs to heal first. I would suggest that you give phys therapy a try when the time is right.