Tired of being fat but I'm a food addict

Options
Ok so I guess I'll try this now, I'm 33 I weight 226lbs and I've tried EVERYTHING well that is except eat less. I'm a food addict it is EXTREMELY hard for me to ever walk away from food. I've struggled with this my whole life. However I'm up to trying something that will help me lose weight to feel better about myself! So if anyone has any suggestions or comments that could help pkease throw them my way! I think my ending goal is to be able to have a full length mirror again. It's been about 8 years and I forbid my kids to get one too!!

Replies

• gispi918
    gispi918 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try subbing some of the food for other alternatives. Don't completely cut out things or you will most likely cave. I feel I'm the same with pastas and sweets. It can get out of hand. Personally, I still have the stuff I want, but I can only have what one serving is allowed. Then I will work it off at the gym, though that is part of my everyday routine. Now I wont have 3 different types of pastas or sweets. It can only be one, and I stick with my decision. I hope this helps.
  • livinghealthy19931
    Options
    Welcome! Tracking your food is definitely going to help you. Start with smart substitutions first, like nonfat milk instead of whole milk or mustard instead of mayo. Good luck!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into switching out certain things - as others suggested! My fianceé is the same way, so she has been researching foods that are low calorie, so she can eat more of it. Also, try sticking to foods that take less to fill you up! I've found chili has been my go-to 'big' meal, and it's not as fattening as I first thought. Good luck! :)
  • friendlygirl316
    friendlygirl316 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel Aimee. I always have a hard time controlling what I eat.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    search the forums for methodologies that might work... of course YOU are addicted to food... every living thing on the planet is addicted to food... SO my first rant to you is simply this... begin to see food for what it is... fuel for the biological machine that houses the brain that constructs your reality everyday. The world you live in IS the world you have devised based on your experiences... IF you don't like how it is turning out... it is up to you to begin the redesign... 2 things lead to weight gain... poor nutrition... inactive lifestyle... IF you want to help yourself... get yourself a food scale and make it real for yourself... check the food guide on a bag of chips... see check the calories/serving... then weigh out that serving... then get a bag of baby carrots and see how many grams of carrots make up the same number of calories... it isn't enough to simply weigh your food your effort should also be concentrated on reaching the macros so that you balance your diet... a balanced diet will help you control urges to binge... because a binge is nothing more than your bodies cry to seek that balance.

YOU are not re0inventing the wheel here... so once again... search the topics on everything from how to use your scale effectively, to the effects of adding more protein, types of exercise... it is all here...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

I think it helps to really get a handle on how you currently eat and what your challenges are and then make changes, often more gradually. Think about what you've done in the past and what worked and what did not. When you say "food addict," what does that mean for you -- what do you see as the struggle?

There are things you can do to make it easier for yourself depending on what the specific issues are. For example, if you limit the food on your plate and available to the appropriate servings (based on the calories you are aiming for), you don't have to walk away.

Also, good for you for knowing your weight. That might sound funny, but when I first started (at around 220), I was scared to get on a scale, and refusing to get on a scale allowed me to keep putting off doing anything. Finally weighing myself and writing it down and making a real concrete plan helped me really get going and allowed me to see that weight going down, which kept me on track.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Therapy. Also, "Why Weight?: A Guide to Ending Compulsive Eating" by Geneen Roth. For me, I needed to start tracking to see just how much I was actually eating (and how much of it was totally unhealthy). I came to an understanding of why my eating habits were as they were, and how it was time to start rewarding and thanking my body for protecting me VS punishing it and allowing it to take the brunt of my issues. I no longer feel like I'm a slave to food or food cravings. I can acknowledge how delicious a slice of pie is, without NEEDING to taste it. I can watch someone eat ice cream without being jealous about it. Food is now just nutrition for me, and that's a pretty freaking amazing twist of fate.
  • friendlygirl316
    friendlygirl316 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My issues are controlling what I eat, not getting enough fruit and veggies because I don't prefer to eat them, not enough energy to exercise, and not liking to take the time to measure my food. I have been trying to eat healthier such as having a salad for lunch.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the OP only posted once and that was five months ago.